The discovery thread!
May 21, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #1,501 of 100,624
My impressions of the fx101s is pretty damn good at $30 nevermind $15 or whatever you guys are paying down in the states.  It's hard to compare these to the nuforce 700x since they are so so different in many ways, in fact an A/B would be impossible to do because of these differences.  I'll explain all and give a more detailed impression later, all I'm going to say for now is that my appreciation for the nuforce hasn't diminished now that I've these JVC but at the same time I'm very impressed by the fx101s.. it's a fantastic value and shouldn't be shunned by IEM fanatics just because of the price and the fact that they are marketed to the budget conscious mainstream, they really are a diamond in the rough.

May 21, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #1,503 of 100,624
Yo, Dsnuts! It's been a while since I've checked in on your discoveries (the last one I bought on your recommendation was the CKS77), so I figured I'd see what new stuff you've dug up for me to buy. I just ordered both the JVC HA-FX40 and the FX101. I'm particularly interested in the FX40, but since they are only about around 16 bucks each, I had to get both.
bigsmile_face.gif

You've said that the FX40 are actually better than the CKM77s, right? If so, then I will be one happy man. I LOVE the CKM77s. If they had a LITTLE bit more bass than I would consider them the perfect headphones, soundwise. Unfortunately, the cable is all kinds of wonky andthe microphones are sub-par. Other than that, I absolutely love them. They ARE slightly on the harsh side still, in the highs, but I think that's more dependent on what kind of music you're listening to. They aren't very forgiving, so if the FX40 are a little more forgiving that would suite me just fine.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to trying both of these IEMs.

May 21, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #1,504 of 100,624
Quote:
My impressions of the fx101s is pretty damn good at $30 nevermind $15 or whatever you guys are paying down in the states.  It's hard to compare these to the nuforce 700x since they are so so different in many ways, in fact an A/B would be impossible to do because of these differences.  I'll explain all and give a more detailed impression later, all I'm going to say for now is that my appreciation for the nuforce hasn't diminished now that I've these JVC but at the same time I'm very impressed by the fx101s.. it's a fantastic value and shouldn't be shunned by IEM fanatics just because of the price and the fact that they are marketed to the budget conscious mainstream, they really are a diamond in the rough.

Oh nice you got them..Look forward to hear what people have to say about these. Between the 2 JVCs or both I am certain you guys will be impressed by these.

Was listening to my now 80 hour burned in FX40s. These sound fantastic for Jazz. and acoustical music. But for hiphop, soul, pop and rock the FX101 get the head time. 

One last tip. Make absolute sure you guys are getting a solid sound seal in your ears on both these earphones. Especailly the FX40..They will sound very bright with even just a little bit of looseness.. I had that happen to me.. I notice once they are firm in the ear with the right seal they sound much better.. The eartips are somewhat flimsy so I can see some of you guys getting a loose fit for these earphones. I suppose cheaper tips are gonna be on cheaper earphones. 

May 21, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #1,505 of 100,624
Quote:
Yo, Dsnuts! It's been a while since I've checked in on your discoveries (the last one I bought on your recommendation was the CKS77), so I figured I'd see what new stuff you've dug up for me to buy. I just ordered both the JVC HA-FX40 and the FX101. I'm particularly interested in the FX40, but since they are only about around 16 bucks each, I had to get both.
bigsmile_face.gif

You've said that the FX40 are actually better than the CKM77s, right? If so, then I will be one happy man. I LOVE the CKM77s. If they had a LITTLE bit more bass than I would consider them the perfect headphones, soundwise. Unfortunately, the cable is all kinds of wonky andthe microphones are sub-par. Other than that, I absolutely love them. They ARE slightly on the harsh side still, in the highs, but I think that's more dependent on what kind of music you're listening to. They aren't very forgiving, so if the FX40 are a little more forgiving that would suite me just fine.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to trying both of these IEMs.

Good to see you on the threads again. Ya both these are crazy.. You will see what I mean.. Though I will tell you this. The real upgrade to the CKM77 sound is a much more refined version of them the new  CKM500.. You can check out that thread. But in the future those are what I recommend to you.. But for now. Check out what JVC has up their sleeves.

May 21, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #1,507 of 100,624
Basically I will just make it simple for you fellas.

If you had the isurus and want an upgrade.  The FX40

If you had the SHE3580 and liked their sound.. The FX101...

The FX40 is a clean farily well balanced sound (after burn in)  with a stupid amount of detail and lovely sparkle to them highs. Really good bass for being an earphone that is detailed oriented. The sub bass is strong with this one.

The FX101 is for guys who enjoy a full bass end with your balance and clarity...Both of these represent some of the best values for  their type of sound signature I have ever heard.

Negatives... The FX40 are not for guys that don't like energetic clean/ brighter sound. These also need a long burn in. Absolutely needs a soild sound seal so you must pay attention to your eartips and how well they fit in your ears.

.... The FX101 is less detailed than the FX40 but makes up for it with solid balance imaging and a full sound.  Thicker bigger sound of the 2

May 21, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #1,508 of 100,624
Quote:
I checked out some of that CKM500 thread - they sound very impressive, but cost more than I'm looking to spend at the moment. They'll be my next big purchase though, unless some of these new JVC's end up being better than them. I'll wait for your review of them first. I'm very curious about them!

Oh yea. I am very much looking forward to JVCs newest FXD80. You bet I will give them the full treatment once I get my hands on them.

The FX40 is using the same carbon nanotube material being used for their upcomming FXD60, 70, and 80 so these will give you an idea of the capabilities of this material.. Oh an I forgot to mention yes. These do sound similar to the CKM77 but  with stronger sub bass lesser highs as well.

May 21, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #1,510 of 100,624
I tried to stay away from this thread. Was doing great not having bought any new IEM's in a few months..  :xf_eek:

Just ordered both the FX40 and FX101... Hard not to with Dsnuts reviews. lol O_o 

May 21, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #1,511 of 100,624
Quote:
Can someone with a fx40 kindly measure its nozzle size please? and do anyone hear any spikes/dips with the fx40?

It looks like it may be 5.5mm. I am not good with this type of measurement and don't have a calipers to measure it properly, so I don't make any promises about how accurate this measurement is. Wearing two pairs of reading glasses and using a tape measure is not the proper way to make such measurements. :)

May 21, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #1,512 of 100,624

It looks like it may be 5.5mm. I am not good with this type of measurement and don't have a calipers to measure it properly, so I don't make any promises about how accurate this measurement is. Wearing two pairs of reading glasses and using a tape measure is not the proper way to make such measurements. :)

Quote:
EDIT: nevermind you want the fx40, fx101 nozzle is also 5.5mm

Thanks a lot

May 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #1,514 of 100,624
Quote:
Oh yea. I am very much looking forward to JVCs newest FXD80. You bet I will give them the full treatment once I get my hands on them.

The FX40 is using the same carbon nanotube material being used for their upcomming FXD60, 70, and 80 so these will give you an idea of the capabilities of this material.. Oh an I forgot to mention yes. These do sound similar to the CKM77 but  with stronger sub bass lesser highs as well.

It looks like the HA-FXD60 is a microdriver IEM with a 5.8mm driver. I was hoping for carbon nanotube IEMs with drivers larger than 8.5mm.

http://www.monsteronline.name/archives/5-8mm-unit-jvc-released-three-new-ear-headphones/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-earbuds-Victor-HA-FXD60-R-Inner-Ear-Headphones-/140753272259?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item20c58c7dc3&ssPageName=RSS:B:STORE:US:101

Users who are viewing this thread

Back