The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Dec 28, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #1,892 of 3,746

Quote:

Nope, little girl it stays.

If I gave the wrong idea for 127 pages, what's another 127.

You are the Boss, Anyone remember those, I found a bunch in the flee market.... 650MB!!!

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #1,894 of 3,746
Quote:
SE and Starkey are both very interesting, I hope the Starkey SA-43 becomes more popular on head-fi, the switches in a sense make it the ultimate custom IEM, and it's from Norway, how cool is that.

Average_joe says it has the most expansive soundstage of all his IEM's too I think, he said it sounds identical to one of his Hifiman's, HE-500 or something?

Quote:
Once averagejoe introduced me to that IEM I was like "this will be the IEM of customs to replace my IE8s" Now "IE80" :wink:.

Not meaning to be disrespectful to AJ, but I think it's a good idea to try the SM3 and see if you hear them like he does, before jumping to conclusions about certain customs. I've always found it useful to establish a common point of reference before exchanging recommendations. That said, I honestly haven't heard any closed IEM (including customs) that can rival the IE8/80's soundstage dimensions by measure of my own spatial perception. Both customs I've heard, the JH13 and UERM are said to be among the most spacious, yet in my book they sound significantly more confined than a lot of open/vented universals. Don't get me wrong, their positioning and separation are immaculate, but soundstage dimensions, forward projection and out-of-head experience are average at best. Of course I know that perception of soundstage is a highly personal phenomenon, so there's obviously no absolute right or wrong, just saying be careful about recommendations before you spend the real big money.

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #1,895 of 3,746
Quote:
I'm thinking I will start out with the HEIR 4.A as my first pair of customs, and if I like them, consider getting the Starkey SA-43 or Unique Melody Miracle.

Stop reading my mind. It's embarassing.

Heir seems to be the best first option for custom IEMs right now. The $70 reshelling fee isn't the same as a satisfaction-guaranteed policy (which would be ruinous to them), but it reduces the net loss if I find out I don't like custom IEMs at all, and that makes me confident in spending what they ask.

fwiw, I've never really been all that impressed with the imaging of dynamic planars. Now, if averagejoe said that the SA-43 imaged as well as the HD800, that would really mean something.

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #1,898 of 3,746
^^You know it's true 
cool.gif

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #1,900 of 3,746
Dec 29, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #1,903 of 3,746

I think I heard a fake or broken IE8 in a store once, but I've had a lingering feeling it was real, it's annoying demoing high quality fake IEM's, or a fake ESW9 or whatever, fake Apple earbud, it just confuses perceptions lol.

I thought I heard a fake Shure SE210 too, since the other one sounded so different, it took me a while to figure out they were both real and Shure changed the driver at some point.  The SE535 I'm not sure either, it sounded pretty good but the build quality of the SE425 felt slightly more substantial, hmm...

Most recently, there's been a lot of discussion on the Teclast T51, with conflicting impressions, it seems like it's most likely a fake opamp in some units, maybe the opamp supplier is cutting corners, who knows?  All I'm saying is it's important to figure out why there are conflicting impressions, not just saying "this sucks" and "this is amazing" and then saying oh well some people like caviar some like candy.
rolleyes.gif

The problem with head-fi is we keep theorising about candy and caviar we haven't tasted, and the packaging, price and popularity (three P's?) of the candy influences our take on it.

Yeah, some candy companies have a good track record, so when Auzentech releases a new cherry candy, people say "what..?" and ignore it, well that's fair, but all this has to be taken into account.

Now, not only can we not taste the candy, but the gear we use to taste it, the dac, amp, (/dap), music and equalizer, and if we just ate lemons or oranges for a month beforehand all influence the taste of it too, and that just turns these forums into an endless discourse of favoritism!

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, I just want to elucidate that there are potential objective ideals in audio where we could all hear music almost universally the same in theory, if you break down each component in the chain that has an affect on the overall experience.

To summarise, if you're in a room with someone listening to speakers, you're hearing the exact same music and sound, right?  Or let's say, at a cinema watching a movie.  You may have slightly differing views on the experience, but at least you're hearing the same sound. :)

I just wish portable audio discussed on the internet, was the same as listening to speakers in a room, I think that would make this more fun and more truthful. :)

So where am I going with this?  I'm suggesting it would be fun to use the same DAC/Amp and listening to the same music (like somewhere online).  Not all the time, just an interesting project on the side.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #1,904 of 3,746

Well regarding the IE8s. The IE8s have nothing on the IE80s IMO. Just a complete refinement when moving to the IE80s. No EQ is needed IMO with the IE80. The IE8 is a letdown in comparison. I think I'm actually preferring the IE80s now to my FX700s and that's saying a lot. Regarding the T51, its days are numbered. They make no more of the unites and they have been plagued since the beginning with reliability issues and horrible customer support. The T51 will die soon and its time to look for other alternatives IMO (Studio V, Rocoo P).
Quote:

I think I heard a fake or broken IE8 in a store once, but I've had a lingering feeling it was real, it's annoying demoing high quality fake IEM's, or a fake ESW9 or whatever, fake Apple earbud, it just confuses perceptions lol.

I thought I heard a fake Shure SE210 too, since the other one sounded so different, it took me a while to figure out they were both real and Shure changed the driver at some point.  The SE535 I'm not sure either, it sounded pretty good but the build quality of the SE425 felt slightly more substantial, hmm...

Most recently, there's been a lot of discussion on the Teclast T51, with conflicting impressions, it seems like it's most likely a fake opamp in some units, maybe the opamp supplier is cutting corners, who knows?  All I'm saying is it's important to figure out why there are conflicting impressions, not just saying "this sucks" and "this is amazing" and then saying oh well some people like caviar some like candy.
rolleyes.gif

The problem with head-fi is we keep theorising about candy and caviar we haven't tasted, and the packaging, price and popularity (three P's?) of the candy influences our take on it.

Yeah, some candy companies have a good track record, so when Auzentech releases a new cherry candy, people say "what..?" and ignore it, well that's fair, but all this has to be taken into account.

Now, not only can we not taste the candy, but the gear we use to taste it, the dac, amp, (/dap), music and equalizer, and if we just ate lemons or oranges for a month beforehand all influence the taste of it too, and that just turns these forums into an endless discourse of favoritism!

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, I just want to elucidate that there are potential objective ideals in audio where we could all hear music almost universally the same in theory, if you break down each component in the chain that has an affect on the overall experience.

To summarise, if you're in a room with someone listening to speakers, you're hearing the exact same music and sound, right?  Or let's say, at a cinema watching a movie.  You may have slightly differing views on the experience, but at least you're hearing the same sound. :)

I just wish portable audio discussed on the internet, was the same as listening to speakers in a room, I think that would make this more fun and more truthful. :)

So where am I going with this?  I'm suggesting it would be fun to use the same DAC/Amp and listening to the same music (like somewhere online).  Not all the time, just an interesting project on the side.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #1,905 of 3,746
Quote:
They make no more of the units and they have been plagued since the beginning with reliability issues and horrible customer support. The T51 will die soon and its time to look for other alternatives IMO (Studio V, Rocoo P).

I'm pretty sure they are still making them Lee, it's only Nationite that stopped ordering them, don't mix up the two.

I haven't seen any schematics of the Studio V, I'm a bit skeptical about their marketing department, I don't want to buy a $350 mystery black box, even if half price, at least with the X19HD they went into full detail on the selected components. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back