The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Jan 6, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #2,476 of 3,746
Well, for the price, the SB isn't a bad choice, and it's actually the one FAD product that deviates significantly from their overall sound. All of their other IEMs share a common sound, and the SB is sort of the black gold sheep of the group. They sell the SB at the same price as the A1/SC here, and it's definitely better than them. The A1/SC feels like a wannabe SS to me. Actually, now that I think about it, I might be the only person here (besides maybe Takoyaki) that has listened to the entire FAD line (except their ridiculous $5000 headphones --- I had a chance to do so as well, since the founder of FAD brought the prototype with him during their launch in Taiwan, but missed it).

Are those FXC71 sort of like the single driver version of the FXT90? I found the FXT90 quite fun and capable, but a bit too grainy. I'll have to look out for these later on; I'm having trouble recommending quality 'off-the-shelf' IEMs to my casual listener friends. These might be good candidates.

Quote:

The FI-BA-SB was a bit boomy, flat and lacking tonality next to my EX700, it also had some sizzle IIRC, but I still liked it quite a lot overall, in a very similiar way to what Shigzeo says in his review at touchmyapps.com I think it's called.  
The Trumpet, Shroom and EPH100 6mm drivers are all probably boring next to the 6mm carbon nano-fibre (or smt) JVC FXC51 drivers but no one listens to me because they cost $25 in America...
biggrin.gif
Actually the JVC FXC71 is the improved version with a brass ring to minimize distortion, and anyway I only listen to the FXC51 with techno type music, for some reason it's very captivating and I start writing crazy stuff.

For some reason I don't enjoy it outside though only at my computer, then again the K2 SP sounded even worse outside, it was dreadful like walking through a graveyard.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #2,478 of 3,746

Quote:
Dude... I linked A PHOTO of THE INSIDE of the Nexus with a clear shot of the DAC CHIP made by Texan INstruments!!

ALSO I don't get it is the opamp integrated into these power saving DAC chips or what???

I looked at the entire Nexus board no opamp.

p.s. the Sony Ericsson "LIVE WITH WALKMAN" is really really cheap.

woops i mistook it for the sgs2 :p anyways thinking of buying the fxc51 for a friend is it any good

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #2,481 of 3,746
Quote:
Well, for the price, the SB isn't a bad choice, and it's actually the one FAD product that deviates significantly from their overall sound. All of their other IEMs share a common sound, and the SB is sort of the black gold sheep of the group. They sell the SB at the same price as the A1/SC here, and it's definitely better than them. The A1/SC feels like a wannabe SS to me. Actually, now that I think about it, I might be the only person here (besides maybe Takoyaki) that has listened to the entire FAD line (except their ridiculous $5000 headphones --- I had a chance to do so as well, since the founder of FAD brought the prototype with him during their launch in Taiwan, but missed it).

Are those FXC71 sort of like the single driver version of the FXT90? I found the FXT90 quite fun and capable, but a bit too grainy. I'll have to look out for these later on; I'm having trouble recommending quality 'off-the-shelf' IEMs to my casual listener friends. These might be good candidates.

I can't find the specs on the FXT-90 drivers, are they dual 6mm?

I haven't heard the FXT-90 yet, have you?  How do they compare to your BA200?  Not to mention how is AB200 next to FI-BA-SB?

What was Final Audio doing in Taiwan, if I may ask to still my curiosity?

Sorry lots of questions. :)

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #2,482 of 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by veyrongatti /img/forum/go_quote.gif

woops i mistook it for the sgs2 :p anyways thinking of buying the fxc51 for a friend is it any good

It's better than all the other cheap stuff I've heard but not as good as your UE700.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #2,484 of 3,746
Quote:

"Sony DR11 - Overview

Based on a single example found at an antique store in Indonesia, it's possible, though not verified, that the Sony DR11 was an orthodynamic type."

That isss the second reference to Indonesia today, the first one was selling 4 AKG K3003's in the first week over there, there is a guy with the XBA-4 and K3003 and I am looking for his comments but all his posts are about anime and videogames >_>

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #2,485 of 3,746
JVC reminds me of FujiFilm in the camera world. They like to take the common technology and put their own slant on it. Good for them.

Yes, they're dual 6mm drivers, if I recall correctly. There's a brass ring stabilizer around both drivers; one is straight up mylar, the other is carbon-coated. Sounds like two of the FXC in one! I listened to the FXT90 for a while before I bought my BA200. They're not my preferred signature but they're very fun and engaging --- definitely the poor mans' FX700. I'm not sure if the one I listened to were burnt-in completely, but the sound was pretty grainy. My BA200 is not nearly as fun, but is closer to my preferred sound. Imagine the BA200 as a love child of the UM3x/W4 but with dual driver sensibility and pricing. I've been writing a review, but just haven't had time to finish it. I haven't compared the SB against the BA200 yet, but I will say this about the BA200 --- it's for those people that kind of don't know what they want yet. It's intimate, yet doesn't feel too constrained, it has a forward midrange, but isn't unnaturally forward, has decent detailing, but is pretty smooth at the same time. Contradictory, huh?

FAD was here for a meet/greet and Q&A session at the official retailer here, X-Wind (now part of Jaben). Final Audio Taiwan has pictures on their Facebook page. There used to be video, but I don't know where it went. I think they were getting ready for the Tokyo headphone festival at the same time, so they took their just finished headphone along to show off.

Quote:

I can't find the specs on the FXT-90 drivers, are they dual 6mm? I haven't heard the FXT-90 yet, have you?  How do they compare to your BA200?  Not to mention how is AB200 next to FI-BA-SB? What was Final Audio doing in Taiwan, if I may ask to still my curiosity?

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #2,487 of 3,746
Quote:
A lot of times these 'innovations' are just marketing guff, but I think they have enough hits that a new product announcement from them is always a little exciting. I look at my Sony NEX-5N camera for instance and every time I have the damn thing in my hands I wonder why they got the formula so right over all their competitors.

Always worth remembering that it's early January, and that means it's Crazy Hype Time in the electronics world.

For every several hundred things with extreme claims of achievement, one of them will actually deliver, and that's what makes it exciting.

Of the remainder, let yourself be entertained by the tumult, or ignore if it's uninteresting. You are not required choose a side and cheer.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #2,488 of 3,746
I see Overstock has the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro. These are pre-Logitech takeover, so this remaining inventory must be pretty old.

It was an awkward fit (the sound tunnel is HUGE). A pronounced V-shaped curve, with weak mids. I liked mine, up until the connector socket snapped on the left channel.

UE (by then owned by Logitech) supported it and issued me an RMA, and then the earphones got lost before I could ship 'em. They reappeared this past summer.

US $86 is a pronounced markdown from the original $250-ish asking price and I'm weirdly nostalgic about them. I'm tempted to buy another pair.

Though I won't. Not with the 4.As coming. I suppose I could use the UE's cables on them to see if there's a difference in sound, but I'm half afraid the cable would carry whatever curse doomed the Super.fis.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #2,489 of 3,746
Really? Coming from DSLRs, I think the entire NEX line is terrible... in fact, all Sony cameras have been really lackluster over the years. The NEX-7 is the least offensive to me, but I'd rather take a u4/3 like a Panny GX1. If it's for casual shooting, an APS-C sized sensor isn't necessary. The 1/1.7" and 2/3" sensors are pretty good already, and come in much smaller sizes, like the Canon S95/100 and FujiFilm X10. For critical shooting, the NEX line simply doesn't have the right ergonomics -- the menus are clunky and hard to maneuver. Okay, enough Sony-hating; I like them for a lot of things, just not for photography.

Back to audio.

Quote:
a_recording said:

A lot of times these 'innovations' are just marketing guff, but I think they have enough hits that a new product announcement from them is always a little exciting. I look at my Sony NEX-5N camera for instance and every time I have the damn thing in my hands I wonder why they got the formula so right over all their competitors.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #2,490 of 3,746
In other news, a coworker was curious about my portable stereo (iPod video -> Leckerton -> HD 25-1 II).

No idea what would make a good demo track, but The Orb's Adventures in the Underworld was handy, so I cued that up and let him listen while I stepped out on an errand.

When I got back, he was still at my desk. Little fluffy clouds, little fluffy clouds, little, lit lit little little lit lit little fluffy clouds in his eyes.

I let him plug the phones into the iPod's headphone socket, and then back into the Leckerton. He compared the sound quality. Hmmm, he said. Hmm.

I may have corrupted somebody. This kind of makes me feel bad. I really don't think he's ready for the pricetags involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back