The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Feb 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #5,656 of 21,763

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #5,657 of 21,763
Quote:
I have a question. Is there really such a thing as "too much detail"? 

I've seen some reviews that claim an earphone/headphone is "too detailed" to enjoy. The way I see it, wouldn't that just be an excess of treble emphasis that gives off that impression? I've heard phones like the TG334 and FI-BA-SS that offer up tons of detail without being fatiguing.

So, is there such a thing, in your opinion?

I don;t believe an audio system can literally add detail to a recording, it can however, change the presentation, and highlight upper mids and treble to make things 'sound detailed'.  As such, 'detailed' is a code word for a kind of coloration. 'Detail' can also be overly highlighted when a component or system is not phase coherent, and the treble leads the rest of the spectrum.  Lack of low end response would also leave the upper ranges more 'exposed' = 'detail'.

'Detail' might also be a result of overly close mic-ing, where you hear the fingers sliding along the strings of the guitar much more prominently than you would from the audience, or here clacking of the keys on a sax...  etc...  (LIke seeing pores on an actor from a close shot in hi res).

I've also run into situations where non-audiophiles, when confronted by a system with great resolving power, are overwhelmed as there is way more going on in their favorite recordings than they had ever heard before. (Imagine attending a football (American) game and trying to keep track of all 22 players at once, as opposed to the tv version, where the camera directs your attention to a specific subset of the players involved in the current play).  

I also think this is an especially interesting question when referenced specifically to so-called acoustic music. james444 comments on his holistic approach to listening, where he wants to hear the music as he hears it in the concert hall - that is from a specific acoustic distance.  In the hall, you hear the hall sound, i.e., the acoustic envelope as well as the ensemble, as a unified whole. You do not really hear soundstage and imaging - those are equipment terms.   

Not sure if that adds up to a 'yes' or a 'no' to your question.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #5,658 of 21,763
Quote:
I don;t believe an audio system can literally add detail to a recording, it can however, change the presentation, and highlight upper mids and treble to make things 'sound detailed'.  As such, 'detailed' is a code word for a kind of coloration. 'Detail' can also be overly highlighted when a component or system is not phase coherent, and the treble leads the rest of the spectrum.  Lack of low end response would also leave the upper ranges more 'exposed' = 'detail'.

You can never restore what is missing (which is why upsampling a low-bitrate MP3 is pointless, or enlarging a small image into a larger one looks bad).

You can make more noticeable some of the detail that is obscured, a trick similar to sharpening a photo in Photoshop. The usual way to do this is to boost the highs -- do it a little, and you notice the detail without noticing the boost; do it too much and the sound can be harsh and grainy (just like over-sharpening a photo in Photoshop).

This is the usual reason why audiophile systems tend to be trebly, I think: It calls attention to the detail that the system is capable of, instead of letting that detail come out in a more natural way, and giving the owner a happy sense of getting his money's worth.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #5,659 of 21,763
Feb 7, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #5,660 of 21,763
I would totally play Grand Theft Auto: Kirk Douglas. Just throwin that out there

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #5,661 of 21,763
^^^This is too good. I once bought socks from a Kenyan in Florence out of pity and they were pretty interesting as well. Actually not all that interesting they just fell apart. I hope I'm not sounding racist. BTW mind if I link that page to my facebook? I don't think anyone should be deprived of it's brilliance.

Hmm first time I actually wrote soucks instead of socks, which is a bit of a funny coincidence, google it.

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #5,663 of 21,763
Speaking of the Yen, despite how it looks now, the Yen really isn't in that bad of shape. It has been significantly worse not too long ago.

yen2r.jpg

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #5,665 of 21,763
Hey guys, now that I've beefed up my chain with a decent sounding DAC I'm starting to regret more and more selling my DT1350's. You think it's just sellers remorse?

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #5,666 of 21,763
Hey guys, now that I've beefed up my chain with a decent sounding DAC I'm starting to regret more and more selling my DT1350's. You think it's just sellers remorse?

More than likely :S

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #5,667 of 21,763
Quote:
I would totally play Grand Theft Auto: Kirk Douglas. Just throwin that out there

That one looked awesome, and I have to wonder why they didn't do a GTA: Robocop. That one would seem fitting.

If I got shot to pieces, losing my family and all that jazz, and then in return, instead of just letting me die gracefully on a hospital bed, I got revived and put in a robotic bullet proof body with a state of the art hand gun and aiming software so that I can bask in my depression with no humanly possible way of taking alcohol or drugs to ease the pain - I'd just probably want to go berserk, GTA-style.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #5,668 of 21,763
Yaaargh!

I friggin love my DT 880! 

Transitioning from my GR07 to the DT880 was almost as big a leap as the first time I listened to the Shure SE215, coming from the Meelectronics M9...

I'm really sorry for the constant blathering, but damn! There are songs that I listen to that literally send chills down my spine.

I'm driving it with a Sabre 9023 DAC, and a custom built amp (that I didn't pay for due to the generosity of a friend...my luck continues). I'm just blown away here. It's difficult going back to my iems during the day...

I sigh every time I have to take it off my head to go to sleep.

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #5,670 of 21,763
Yaaargh!

I friggin love my DT 880! 

Transitioning from my GR07 to the DT880 was almost as big a leap as the first time I listened to the Shure SE215, coming from the Meelectronics M9...

I'm really sorry for the constant blathering, but damn! There are songs that I listen to that literally send chills down my spine.

I'm driving it with a Sabre 9023 DAC, and a custom built amp (that I didn't pay for due to the generosity of a friend...my luck continues). I'm just blown away here. It's difficult going back to my iems during the day...

I sigh every time I have to take it off my head to go to sleep.

You're making me hate you for getting a superdeal on that used DT880. By far my most favourite Beyer headphones I've tried in Jaben.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back