The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Feb 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #5,641 of 21,763
Quote:
It's not so much the gear, it's the falling yen. If it keeps going down, so will prices on everything.

There's got to be a breaking point though. If it falls to low enough businesses, whatever business they may be, will just stop producing and shutter their windows because it won't be worth it to keep producing products.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #5,642 of 21,763
Just got my Reflink. What does 50fs of jitter sound like? It sounds good. I'm using a $12 SPDIF Belden 1505a as the DAC only cares how the coax cable measures, and this one is rated out to 4.5 GHz. If only Belden made way overspecified USB cable for $12... Maybe if they connected to the computer over CAT7 or something.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #5,643 of 21,763
There's got to be a breaking point though. If it falls to low enough businesses, whatever business they may be, will just stop producing and shutter their windows because it won't be worth it to keep producing products.

They're still making the same amount of yen, it's the pricing for outsiders that's affected (lowered) relative to currency exchange. This is good for Japanese exports, they'll sell a lot of stuff, and it's fantastic for tourism, lots of fat Americans going over and spending tons of dollars in Tokyo. However, it's bad for imports, because things from other countries will cost more yen.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #5,644 of 21,763
Quote:
They're still making the same amount of yen, it's the pricing for outsiders that's affected (lowered) relative to currency exchange. This is good for Japanese exports, they'll sell a lot of stuff, and it's fantastic for tourism, lots of fat Americans going over and spending tons of dollars in Tokyo. However, it's bad for imports, because things from other countries will cost more yen.

Was going to say it was bad and saw through Digital's view. 

But I'm guessing they're not doing too well do to the falling currency/inflation? :s Here we had inflation during the recession, so idk how closely they correlate.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #5,645 of 21,763
Just look at it as a good time to save and avoid buying too many things, for now. Then when the yen rebounds, you'll have more money relative to the economy. Look on the positive side. :D

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #5,646 of 21,763
Listening to TGS Podcast live right now, TotalBiscuit said that Fire Emblem Awakening is the killer app for the 3DS for hardcore gamers (or for gamers that doesn't care much for Nintendo main franchise e.g. Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, etc.). Looking around for info on 3DS region lock, I am sad that it is. Still aiming to get the XL one though, but now I really need to think from which region I have to import from when I went back to Malaysia later this summer.

IIRC us in S.E. Asia get the US nintendo systems and games. I've bought wii games from the US, the Philippines and Singapore and they all worked fine so maybe you can look it up.

I see. Thanks for the tip.

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #5,647 of 21,763
Quote:
I'm playing DS3, and so far, it's been a glitch-fest. Some of the cutscenes hang-up, and for some strange reason the autosave doesn't want to cooperate with me. I hope it gets smoother as I go...

What system? I've been playing on the 380 and haven't noticed any bugs so far.

Game doesn't really feel like Dead Space anymore, but it's a lot of fun for me nonetheless.

Quote:

What about TUR05 or 06 ?

I've been eyeing those too. AFAIK it's just an amp section w/o a DAC right? I was kind of hoping for an all-in-one for the office. That being said, I've talked to Di-Ma about possibly getting a fullsized amp built using 6ZP1 tubes and fancy transformers. I'm holding off for the time being though to fund some other projects.

He really makes some beautiful stuff, no doubt.

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #5,648 of 21,763
Today I'll be visiting my ENT doctor to get my ears professionally cleaned. I've been doing this once a year, and I feel it makes quite a difference. Really one of the best "audiophile upgrades" I can think of doing. It's also a good idea to get it done before taking ear impressions.

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #5,649 of 21,763
A few quick impressions on a couple of usual suspects:

DT990 - My kind of sound. It suits EDM very good, however, I also got a very strong feeling of deja vu when listening to them. The weight, the edginess of the treble and so on. I don't know, I just feel that these are not at all what my next headphones should sound like.

K550 - not really my cup of tea at all, but that's, strange as it may sound, ultimately what I am looking for. Something new and fresh. They did however sound a bit sibilant, is this something you guys can confirm? I listened through a beyer amp. They seemed to be more fragile and lightweight than their pictures had me believe. I don't know how I feel about them. Disappointed? In love? Love-hate?

:frowning2:

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #5,650 of 21,763
^The DT990 Pro's are one of the best budget 'phones on the market. I used a pair of them for 15years before going to the Sennheiser HD600's.

I'm playing DS3 on the pc. Re-installing the game cleared most of the problems, though I still get an occasional glitch when using the Benches. It's more of a straight-up shooter, now.

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #5,651 of 21,763
Quote:
Today I'll be visiting my ENT doctor to get my ears professionally cleaned. I've been doing this once a year, and I feel it makes quite a difference. Really one of the best "audiophile upgrades" I can think of doing. It's also a good idea to get it done before taking ear impressions.

Really? I'm a doctor but I've never heard of upgrading sound quality by getting your ears professionally cleaned by an ENT doctor. Then again, I never got to train in the ENT department... maybe I should give it a try. I thought this might be helpful for old people whose hearing is really impaired, but it works for young people like you too?

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #5,652 of 21,763
Quote:

Really? I'm a doctor but I've never heard of upgrading sound quality by getting your ears professionally cleaned by an ENT doctor. Then again, I never got to train in the ENT department... maybe I should give it a try. I thought this might be helpful for old people whose hearing is really impaired, but it works for young people like you too?

If you don't produce a lot of wax, then it probably won't make as much of a difference as it does for someone like me who does.

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #5,653 of 21,763
One thing that slays me about DS3: microtransactions. Want a better gun? That'll be $5. Want cool stuff that shoulda been included in the game from the start? That'll be another $15. Maybe I'm just too old-fashioned. but for $60 I kinda expect this stuff to be included in the purchase price.

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #5,654 of 21,763
Quote:
One thing that slays me about DS3: microtransactions. Want a better gun? That'll be $5. Want cool stuff that shoulda been included in the game from the start? That'll be another $15. Maybe I'm just too old-fashioned. but for $60 I kinda expect this stuff to be included in the purchase price.

That'a alright. You can reload a save or enter a room multiple times to do the same thing.

I hate EA and it's love of micro transactions(that aren't intergal, but shoehorned in).

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #5,655 of 21,763
Quote:

Ugh, I was literally just on the phone trying to schedule an appointment with an ENT doctor 5 minutes ago, and was told that I can't see one until I get a referral from my GP explaining that I have an issue. Of course, being as awkward as I am, my "reason" was that I wanted to schedule for a yearly checkup because I suspected there was deeper buildup that I couldn't remove with debrox.

I should have just told them that I'm an aspiring wanna-be-musician getting custom in-ear impressions taken soon, and need them cleaned properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back