The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jan 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #5,221 of 21,761
Quote:
Contraction due to past formats: Philips is getting out of the consumer electronics market; the lack of consumer interest in Bluray is cited as one of the reasons why.

Just when they were selling interesting headphones again. Get your Citiscape Downtown headphones while you can, I guess.

But Philips TV brand still exists for example. It just belongs to a Chinese company now. The same plants keep producing Philips TVs.

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #5,222 of 21,761
Quote:
Brb, having ears surgically removed so I can implant dog ears

Dog ears.....this is Head-Fi soldier, around these parts we get bat ear implants not dog ears. If that wasn't enough once people hit summit-fi they have their kids genetically spliced with bat DNA. Your hearing isn't considered audiophile grade hearing until you can hear the vibrations of the singers nose hairs.

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #5,223 of 21,761
Quote:
I

4 "TARA" FLOPS GPU? Lol What's so special bout that? They're about to drop 10 TFLOPS GPUs next year.

"Next year" is always faster than this year.  Moore's law predicts a doubling of performance (technically transistor count) every 18 months.

4 teraflops is special right now.  10 teraflops will be special next year.  20 teraflops will be special the year after that.

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #5,225 of 21,761
Quote:
Somewhere in Russia

I'm pretty sure that FPSRussia was driving that 
wink.gif
 even though he ain't russian. Well it looks like the tank had no time for Stalin and had to be Russian 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #5,226 of 21,761
Quote:
But Philips TV brand still exists for example. It just belongs to a Chinese company now. The same plants keep producing Philips TVs.

I don't really know anything beyond the article I linked to, but I suspect the following is relevant:

Philips... has sold the audio, video, multimedia and accessories activities to the Japanese consumer electronics company [Funai Electric] for the almost token sum of €150 million ($201.8 million) in cash and a brand-license fee.

Some Philips-branded consumer items are still in the States now, too -- eg, the headphones I mentioned. I doubt that Philips has been involved in the manufacture of commodity or consumer equipment for a number of years (whether TVs or headphones), but what this news means is that Philips will not be involved any part of the consumer electronics business, not even as a marketing representative. Their name will be licensed just like Hello Kitty is licensed to be sold on teeshirts.

I don't know whether the TV company you mention is an OEM for Philips or actually licensing their name. It wouldn't surprise me either way, but it's the first I've heard of it.

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #5,227 of 21,761
Quote:
Dog ears.....this is Head-Fi soldier, around these parts we get bat ear implants not dog ears. If that wasn't enough once people hit summit-fi they have their kids genetically spliced with bat DNA. Your hearing isn't considered audiophile grade hearing until you can hear the vibrations of the singers nose hairs.

DigitalFreak, we've had discussion in private about my unborn children taking offense to your graphic descriptions, please do keep them in mind the next time you feel the need to resort to such scandalous language 
Quote:
"Next year" is always faster than this year.  Moore's law predicts a doubling of performance (technically transistor count) every 18 months.

4 teraflops is special right now.  10 teraflops will be special next year.  20 teraflops will be special the year after that.

I was mostly irked by the outrageous "NASA supercomputer" marketspeak in his link which makes it sound like some kind of esoteric, custom designed chipset. 4 TFLOPs performance is consumer level dual GPU SLI tech. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #5,228 of 21,761
Quote:
DigitalFreak, we've had discussion in private about my unborn children taking offense to your graphic descriptions, please do keep them in mind the next time you feel the need to resort to such scandalous language 

My apologies, I'm such an uncouth Philistine.
biggrin.gif

It finally happened....I've become a dreaded YouTuber. Someone tie me down and slap me around until I regain some common sense.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #5,233 of 21,761
General
1000 core cpu? I don't know of one :)  GPGPU? great powerful graphics processing unit?

General processing. It's what the next generation of games consoles are going to rely upon due to the use of whats essentially mobile tablet chips to keep TDP down

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #5,235 of 21,761
Quote:
oh, kk. Mmmmm so like a tesla?

Well, um, no.   Actually, um, yes - it seems as the processing unit in tesla cards is also called tesla! 
redface.gif

A Tesla is a graphics card that's been made for the technology that is called GPGPU. GPGPU means that the programmer, instead of starting new CPU threads, starts the same threads but within the GPU instead. DirectX in Windows is a way of doing GPGPU, or more precisely, DX can be used for it. Simply put.

Think of it like like you have a batch of calculations to make, because you've just made a program for calculating the length of all IEM cables. Now, this is something that is calculated normally with the CPU, but with GPGPU however, you could assign these calculations to the GPU instead.

The whole TFLOPS talk is extremely silly in more than a dozen ways though. I bet they haven't been changing the source code for Windows, because if they had, they were breaking rules and should await the dreaded wrath of the allmighty Microsoft. So basically what's left are the applications that could use GPGPU, and then we're talking about OSS. Having that said, there is no real reason why they should go to such overkill for a simple media server for audio-files (pun again).

4 TFLOPS is less than ONE GTX 690. Since it's a dual configuration, we're basically talking about a couple of GTX 660 in SLI.

4 TFLOPS is not the reason that this server is costing so much money.

Scammers are the reason that it's costing so much money.

Edit: after re-reading this post, it once again becomes apparent that I shouldn't try to explain anything at 6 am in the morning. I hope you understood at least something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back