The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jan 25, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #5,041 of 21,761
I think I'm going to take a mini sabbatical from ordering items using Amazon prime's free 2-day. I ordered some stuff on the 21st from the FS forums, and they're still not here. I threw a mini tantrum when the USPS tracking said that they weren't even in my state yet. So, I'm not ordering anything else using 2 day shipping for a while so I can starve my newly discovered inner brat. 

Quote:

Pretty good review.

I don't think I'd agree with the assessment that there's grain over the whole spectrum. The reviewer even says it could be a source issue. Secondly, yes, the bass has a lot of impact, but I have a feeling this is accentuated by the Comply tips. I want to experiment more with different tips to see if I can't achieve a more linear sound which I think they're capable of. I don't feel the bass detracts at all from the midrange, and it seems very clean and well controlled.

I think I understand the overall signature. The variations can be attributed to tips, like you mentioned.

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #5,042 of 21,761
your inner brat is pretty well behaved compared to mine, eke2k6.

i ordered a Human Audio Muto DAC yesterday from a dealer on the west coast.
i got it today at 10:30 a.m.
by design, of course - my inner brat paid $80 in shipping fees to have it that way.

your dilemma, though, is that amazon gives you nearly that kind of expediency for free.
thus the spoiledness (is that a word?)

me?  i don't care.  i just want it now
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #5,043 of 21,761
Hey Diary members, where should I go to get my ears examined and cleaned?

An ear nose and throat doctor? Or someone more specialized?

My ears are acting up again. Every few months or so I find vocals and bass to sound off center for me when listening to iem's. I can be listening to closed or open headphones, portable or fullsize and not hear this. Usually 4 days of debrox, administered twice a day gets rid of it, but not this time; The effect is still slightly there. Its annoying, to say the least.

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #5,044 of 21,761
Quote:

My ears are acting up again. Every few months or so I find vocals and bass to sound off center for me when listening to iem's. I can be listening to closed or open headphones, portable or fullsize and not hear this. Usually 4 days of debrox, administered twice a day gets rid of it, but not this time; The effect is still slightly there. Its annoying, to say the least.

It could possibly be moving of the fats/muscles/bones around near the canal? Unless they don't go in the ears. Just a conjecture since they don't happen w/ your supra/circum aural cans.Probably would go to those doctors for a checkup. Do you clean your ears w/ q-tips every now and then?

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #5,045 of 21,761
The last time I went to an audiologist expecting to need a cleaning she just took a peek and said they were already really, really clean.  This depressed me because I wanted to have them cleaned out and suddenly have all my music sound amazing and life-like, but nope :/

Likewise I start using this solution I ordered from Westone every time I think my ears might be dirty, but nothing ever comes out.  I seem to have sinus problems more than anything else.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #5,046 of 21,761
To all my fellow northerners, I think I speak for us all when I say summer can't get here fast enough

Say hello to Winnipeg during it's coldest months.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #5,047 of 21,761
I think I almost got frostbite on Monday when it was like 9 degrees (F) out.  It actually got warmer here after some snow fell.  With the exception of a flash blizzard 2 years ago winters here lately have had almost no snow whatsoever but been relentlessly cold and windy.

I was just looking at the audiojerk board on reddit because someone here linked it in another thread.  Christ, what a ****hole; it's just the same 4 jokes over and over again about Beats.  I see reddit in general being to the internet what Beats are to the headphone market: this new, homogenized, and marketable version of something that's been around forever, but suddenly everyone on your campus knows and never shuts up about it... if that makes sense.  Iuno, there are so many people here at least who didn't seem to know that you could talk to people and share things on the internet outside of FaceBook before reddit became popular.  In the poetry workshop I took last semester, for instance, we were doing ****ty conceptual poetry and I messed around with a thread from my favorite gaming forum, seeing how the removal of avatars and screen names effected the readability of posts.  The first comment was literally "why didn't you use a site people know about, like reddit?"

/dumb rant

I've been listening to the Pokemon Black and White 2 soundtrack more than "real music" lately.  It makes me feel like I'm 9 again more than any other pocket man soundtrack has since gen 1, whatever that's worth.  I've also been getting bored with new music very quickly as of late. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #5,048 of 21,761
@MrViolin, Driver8,

I clean my ears with a q-tip every morning as part of my daily routine. I've heard that using a q-tip too often can often lead to pushing in ear-wax deeper, and last time I used debrox stuff did come out on the 3rd day and I got the whole"everything is clearer and more dynamic" effect. This time however, I'm starting to think that I may just be in the middle of one of those seasonal, perpetual light colds.

What I don't understand is why bass and vocals sound off center ever so slightly to the left when it's my left ear that feels plugged up.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #5,049 of 21,761
Quote:
@MrViolin, Driver8,

I clean my ears with a q-tip every morning as part of my daily routine. I've heard that using a q-tip too often can often lead to pushing in ear-wax deeper, and last time I used debrox stuff did come out on the 3rd day and I got the whole"everything is clearer and more dynamic" effect. This time however, I'm starting to think that I may just be in the middle of one of those seasonal, perpetual light colds.

What I don't understand is why bass and vocals sound off center ever so slightly to the left when it's my left ear that feels plugged up.

:xf_eek:h so it's congestion. DAILY? I don't even clean that much.... it's about 2 weeks for me sometimes... daily... I know that you need at least some ear wax in there... but daily... think you might be overdoing it a bit. Just my opinion though.

Maybe it's because sound is better conducted through fluids (i.e your snot and mucous) :wink: 

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #5,050 of 21,761
Daily is too often. I tend to clean them out right before a review or comparative listening or meet, but regularly cleaning... perhaps once a week. I too use Q-tips (after doing the tilt-head in shower technique to soften/break up wax) which doctors and other people say is really bad to do, but when I got my ears checked for the first time (in 2011) since I was a child I was told my ears were perfectly clean without any build up anywhere.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #5,052 of 21,761
Quote:

Go to an Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT) doctor. Debrox doesn't always get everything in there. The doctor has a specialized device that works like a mini-vacuum to suck up gunk from your ears.

When I was getting impressions last year, I went to get my ears cleaned first. I tried hydrogen peroxide myself, but some of the wax got pressed up against my eardrum and wouldn't come out on its own.

Some audiologists offer ear-cleaning. It should be advertised on their website if they do. My understanding is that not every audiologist does however, so your best bet is still an ENT.

Don't use cotton swabs to deep-clean your ears. They can end up pushing the wax deeper. They're best used for cleaning the ears closer to the opening of the canal and the area around it. Some pharmacies also carry little ear scoops which work well for certain types of wax.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #5,053 of 21,761
Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

There are actually two versions that are generally accepted as canonical, and in one there's no mention of the rib thing. Rather, it says God created man and woman at the same time. The problem some folks have the rib thing is that it's not equality in their view. They argue that God created the first man directly whereas woman was in turn created through a piece of man, basically once-removed from God so to speak (think of that "12 degrees of separation" game). The protection thing could be viewed as a form of dependency. To that end a lot of theologians like von Balthasar have emphasized the "co dependency" of man and woman: in other words, they literally compliment and complete one another. Whether this co-dependency is bidirectional however is debatable, and someone like von Balthasar will say that women are there to help men (to "answer their question with their return gaze") whereas men are engaged in the world at large (their gaze "looks all around" and not just at woman). Women are one piece of man so to speak, whereas men are completed by women but more than this. Also note that in this version of the creation story, Adam names Eve by calling her woman. Naming was a means of exerting dominance over something, and it's why God has Adam name all the other animals, as it shows that man has dominion over nature.

I think this particular version of the Judeo-Christian creation story has a beautiful element to it, but unfortunately opens the doors to interpretations that are less-than-beautiful. It's been used historically as ammunition for women's subservience and even to keep them out of the priesthood. The complementary nature of man / woman has also been used as an argument against homosexuality.

Personally, I'm more interested in the fact that there are two canonical versions of the creation story and how historically various groups have tried to reconcile this. Some see one as an elaboration of the other, others see them as two poetic variations or different perspectives of the same event, still others view one as more authentic than the other, and so on and so forth.

Its a shame that this is the particular creation myth that christianity seems to relate to most frequently, even worse when it is used as material to justify inequity between the sexes. IMO Hanging on words from the bible is kind of missing the point though, given that the document itself has gone through numerous translation, revisions etc. IMO these stories need to be studied in their original language and in consideration of their historical and political contexts.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #5,054 of 21,761
Quote:
Its a shame that this is the particular creation myth that christianity seems to relate to most frequently, even worse when it is used as material to justify inequity between the sexes. IMO Hanging on words from the bible is kind of missing the point though, given that the document itself has gone through numerous translation, revisions etc. IMO these stories need to be studied in their original language and in consideration of their historical and political contexts.

I don't like how my Uncle uses the bible as a shield and a mallet to pass judgment on others. He is very disrespectful in general to women. I don't know how my Auntie stays with him... He's literally told her "shut up rib!".... (Adam and Eve)...

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #5,055 of 21,761
A few days ago I managed to download Spotify. I remember some time ago I couldn't do it because of regional restrictions. My account ( I registered through Facebook)  identifies me as a UK resident.

I'm listening to Dawn Richard "Goldenheart" ( 2013). It's R&B but arranged in a more complex manner. 

Her video is weird. She fights capoeira style with heavy-metal dudes. And in the end she is heading to a medieval castle which is far away. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back