The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
May 12, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #11,731 of 21,761
Quote:

Or kill two birds with one DIY kit... http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//product_info.php?products_id=1027&osCsid=df1e2603ccea9ba46bba290fdc6d9863

You'll need to find a suitable enclosure and put in some elbow grease though.

Quote:
My level of satisfaction the last few years has been off the charts! This is due to my being unemployed. And only allowing myself new gears if I can successfully navigate the garage and storage unit and negotiate selling stuff off.

It was a hard job, and you did it well, in more ways than one. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's quite the reward system. 
biggrin.gif
 Though, I still cherish my possessions, some days I'm like any other addict... "Everything must go! I need to buy the such and such."

I've thought about that day.  Don't get me wrong, there's a bunch of crap in my inventory that I wouldn't mind never seeing again (especially as I hardly see them now).  But a mass liquidation that marks the end of an era will always be a little bit of a sentimental loss I think.

- Thanks. The Oatley looks like a good project for me to take on later this year (while I decompress).

- About 8 years ago, I started buying small things here and there from The Headroom and kept getting links to Head-Fi. Sooooo, I started perusing these pages - never with an intent to register or post. Before long, I bought the Denon D5000 and decided to see what folks were sayin' about my cans on HF. I really enjoyed that purchase but not enough to register. AND then, addiction kicked in! With Full-size cans, I'm gonna need another amp, DAC and..... 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 so the selling off picked up steam. Once I saved up for my first tube amp, I registered right then and there. To observe my low profile, quietness and reserve, I came to be known as 'Silent One.' 
wink.gif

- Thanks for the compliment. I gave my best! Will reward myself a bit this summer with a new tube amp. My short list:

WooAudio WA5; WA5 mono blocks
Yamamoto A-09S
McIntosh MC-275

Year-end, I aim to bring home a custom 45amp or 300B mono blocks from 2359glenn|studio.

May 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #11,732 of 21,761
Quote:
I'm off for mothers day dinner guys. For everybody on thread hope you and you're families all have a nice day

Whoops, forgot the present. Well, guess I'll spend the afternoon shopping...

Quote:
I've thought about that day.  Don't get me wrong, there's a bunch of crap in my inventory that I wouldn't mind never seeing again (especially as I hardly see them now).  But a mass liquidation that marks the end of an era will always be a little bit of a sentimental loss I think.

In terms of sentimental value, the only things that have retained such, and haven't broke down, would be the ER4P and the HD580 (the latter is my very first headphone, the ER4P would be my third IEM - had a E3c at first but the shells broke). The former I've had some problems in the near past for insertion depth - just can't take it as deep as I could've back then (no innuendo). So they've not been used too often. The latter has the headband snapped in half - with some tape I can generally wear it but otherwise it's also being subjugated to closet duty. Probably not letting either go anytime soon though.

Something that's retained a lot of sentimental value though, was the W4. This was a "recent-ish" purchase in the grand scheme of things. 1 year and 6 months if I recall correctly. I had gotten it at a ridiculously good price - so part of the attachment stems from pride out of getting a good deal and not wanting to let go. Another factor would be that I had gotten it during a depressing period, and it had accompanied me for quite some time - for a while it became the only thing I would listen to. I realize it to be coloured and not exactly my most ideal sound signature. But 18 months with something really lets you get used to it.

Actually, now that I recall - it was my reason for signing up on H-F. I had ample talk of audio cruft on erji so wasn't really inclined to add another forum under the belt - although I did lurk like a maniac several years prior. But then the shells on the W4s started to make a weird noise so I had to ask for newbie help on the appreciation thread.

May 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #11,733 of 21,761
I have this issue of despite knowing what sound sig I enjoy, I want to try every other sig. For instance, even though i tried the Ety HF5, I feel the need to try the ER4. I think the only two flagships in my range I haven't tried are the GR07 and the W4. Truth be told, I have this feeling I'll love the GR07, but unless I find a magical demo, I don't really feel like buying them. 

I also have this horrible habit of justifying selling things, then regretting it. For instance, my T50RP's. I contemplated selling them because "oh, I like IEMs more", but I very well know I would buy another pair. I would probably be more content with my purchases if there were meets anywhere in my remote area, but alas, no :/

May 12, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #11,734 of 21,761
Quote:
I have heard some interesting theories that the XBA drivers are the same as FAD's "custom made BAs." They do both exhibit the same type of driver flex...

They exhibit driver flex? And it's an interesting theory but isn't the entire FAD line vented and the XBA line sealed?

Quote:
Also, to bring you back in the game, I think the Iphone versions have a Y cord. This is the XBA2IP :wink:

Isn't it funny how in the XBA range the XBA-2 is the also ran that no one ever mentions really? It should be the darkest one of the series...

Quote:
I'd like a diy job.......
Thanks for the idea.....
I'll look into it a bit more.....
I'm going to sleep now......
Ill set up the thread tomorrow.....

Your posts are like poems.....
they are oddly relaxing.....

Quote:
I have this issue of despite knowing what sound sig I enjoy, I want to try every other sig. 

That's not an issue. I have that! Sometimes you surprise yourself. I like dark siga but there is other stuff I still absolutely love - the AD1000X and EX1000 being good examples. Of course all this indiscriminate love is not good for the wallet. Meets are indeed really helpful in that I can listen to things and decide 'I like that but not enough to want to actually spend money on it.'

Having lots of different sigs also means that instead of buying new gear you can choose whatever takes your fancy that day, like how I choose a lens for the day for my camera.

May 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #11,735 of 21,761
Quote:
They exhibit driver flex? And it's an interesting theory but isn't the entire FAD line vented and the XBA line sealed?

I think I know what she's referring to with the XBAs. That weirdo crunchy thingy that doesn't really sound as prominent as with actual driver flex that I got with the XBA-3. It could be the housing that's causing it though I wouldn't have the slightest clue. There's also people sometimes referencing it on the main thread.

Though can armatures exhibit flex? Are they affected by the suction effect?

May 12, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #11,736 of 21,761
Quote:
I'd like a diy job.......
Thanks for the idea.....
I'll look into it a bit more.....
I'm going to sleep now......
Ill set up the thread tomorrow.....

Awesome, good night! 
smile.gif

Quote:
- Thanks. The Oatley looks like a good project for me to take on later this year (while I decompress).

Maybe the three of us should do our builds at the same time?  CRAFTS PROJECT! 
smile.gif

Quote:

- About 8 years ago, I started buying small things here and there from The Headroom and kept getting links to Head-Fi. Sooooo, I started perusing these pages - never with an intent to register or post. Before long, I bought the Denon D5000 and decided to see what folks were sayin' about my cans on HF. I really enjoyed that purchase but not enough to register. AND then, addiction kicked in! With Full-size cans, I'm gonna need another amp, DAC and..... 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 so the selling off picked up steam. Once I saved up for my first tube amp, I registered right then and there. To observe my low profile, quietness and reserve, I came to be known as 'Silent One.' 
wink.gif

And now HF is like a second home. 
smile.gif
  Like you, I also lurked for quite some time before registering.  And then I lurked for a whole other year after registering.  There were times when I wanted to post, but though it better to just keep reading and learning.  Finally started posting and haven't looked back.

Quote:
- Thanks for the compliment. I gave my best! Will reward myself a bit this summer with a new tube amp. My short list:

WooAudio WA5; WA5 mono blocks
Yamamoto A-09S
McIntosh MC-275

Year-end, I aim to bring home a custom 45amp or 300B mono blocks from 2359glenn|studio.

It was more than good enough.  I think Glenn's stuff is ultimately going to be more rewarding, not to mention scarce.

Quote:

Something that's retained a lot of sentimental value though, was the W4. This was a "recent-ish" purchase in the grand scheme of things. 1 year and 6 months if I recall correctly. I had gotten it at a ridiculously good price - so part of the attachment stems from pride out of getting a good deal and not wanting to let go.

I went through that!  Kept a unit for WAAYYY longer than I should have because it was essentially free.

Quote:

Actually, now that I recall - it was my reason for signing up on H-F. I had ample talk of audio cruft on erji so wasn't really inclined to add another forum under the belt - although I did lurk like a maniac several years prior. But then the shells on the W4s started to make a weird noise so I had to ask for newbie help on the appreciation thread.

Another lurker!  I wonder how many of us lurked for a significant stretch of time, as opposed to jumping right in?

Quote:
I have this issue of despite knowing what sound sig I enjoy, I want to try every other sig.

That generally describes me as well.  Actually, there is one signature that I'm pretty sure I really don't like.  I have a name for it, but won't repeat that name here as it's not kosher.  Basically, it's something that is (IMO) overly dark and warm and totally lacking air.  Who knows, I might change my mind later, but probably not.

Quote:
For instance, my T50RP's. I contemplated selling them

No!  Don't do it!  I've got a pair and I'm working on modding them at the moment.  When you hear the result, I think you will be floored.

May 12, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #11,737 of 21,761
Quote:
No!  Don't do it!  I've got a pair and I'm working on modding them at the moment.  When you hear the result, I think you will be floored.

I made the mistake of selling them off once, with HM5 pads and everything. This time I'm using the SRH840 pads, and have a few other big mods aside from the standard DBV#4 mods. They really are good cans, I just have to get this wonky FR resolved on mine.

May 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #11,738 of 21,761
^ I don't really see why they couldnt. It's a similar concept in that there is a diaphragm in an enclosure isn't it, just at a different scale and shape?

I'm of course assuming that there is some seal between the outside chamber which the air is moved out the nozzle from the magnet and rod enclosure. Is that correct?

May 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #11,739 of 21,761
Quote:
Quote:
Also, to bring you back in the game, I think the Iphone versions have a Y cord. This is the XBA2IP :wink:

Isn't it funny how in the XBA range the XBA-2 is the also ran that no one ever mentions really? It should be the darkest one of the series...

Actually, someone we know recently went on a spree and got the whole line.  And he likes the XBA-2 over the XBA-1/3/4.  Curious, no?

Quote:
Meets are indeed really helpful in that I can listen to things and decide 'I like that but not enough to want to actually spend money on it.'

+1, cannot stress enough how valuable (and fun) meets can be.  Just wish there were more women at these meets.  Last year's L.A. meet only had 2 women.  Well actually 3, but one of them seemed to be there just because her boyfriend was so that really doesn't count.  Having meets be all male-heavy makes them seem like conventions of ex-presidents of high school AV clubs.

Quote:
I think I know what she's referring to with the XBAs. That weirdo crunchy thingy that doesn't really sound as prominent as with actual driver flex that I got with the XBA-3. It could be the housing that's causing it though I wouldn't have the slightest clue. There's also people sometimes referencing it on the main thread.

Though can armatures exhibit flex? Are they affected by the suction effect?

Theoretically, anything with a moving diaphragm can right?  Though, to make something that tiny flex must require quite a bit of pressure.

May 12, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #11,740 of 21,761
Quote:

That's weird. I've never noticed anything like that...
Quote:
Actually, someone we know recently went on a spree and got the whole line.  And he likes the XBA-2 over the XBA-1/3/4.  Curious, no?

... WHY DID YOU SAY THAT TO ME

May 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #11,742 of 21,761
I JUST BOUGHT THE VC02 AND HE GOES AND SAYS THIS

............but maybe there is still cancel time.....

Don't do it, It's a trap!

May 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #11,743 of 21,761
Quote:

Yeah, there's cancel time all right. Time to cancel Warren's life. In the face.

May 12, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #11,744 of 21,761
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

... WHY DID YOU SAY THAT TO ME

Originally Posted by vwinter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't do it, It's a trap!  
Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, there's cancel time all right. Time to cancel Warren's life. In the face.

Hey, stop molesting the messenger!  Just saying, that's what I heard.  Actually here's what it was verbatim:  "hey, the XBA2 are very good; a little forward in the midrange; yes, it may be the best; I can see me using it more than the others."

May 12, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #11,745 of 21,761
It was definitely less divisive sounding than the 1 and 4 when I tried them all, but it didn't really stand out for me for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back