The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Sep 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #1,081 of 21,763
I agree with you - I do not understand the silly trend to have larger and larger phone screens. It just seems silly to make phones with huge screens, GPS, bluetooth, wifi, 4G, video, hi-end cameras and a battery that can't last a day of normal use. There is nothing worse than sitting in a business meeting late in the afternoon, and suddenly my fancy phone lets loose with an obnoxious squonk that the battery is low - and I can't understand why phone mfrs won't let you disable the low-battery sound.

Because everyone and their mother needs to be informed that your power-inefficient phone needed more juice to continue being more inefficient.

I wonder if Apple's and the myriad of Android manufacturers' phones have a low power mode that it switches to automatically? It would be funny and weird if they don't have a lower power state, where they turn of 3G/LTE and only EDGE, turn off GPS, etc. of more power-hungry features.

And for me personally, 4.3" is the maximum screen size I'm willing to live with; 4" is my ideal spot. So theoretically, if I want an Android phone that's 'audiophile-grade' the 4-Core would actually be a great fit.

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #1,082 of 21,763
And for me personally, 4.3" is the maximum screen size I'm willing to live with; 4" is my ideal spot. So theoretically, if I want an Android phone that's 'audiophile-grade' the 4-Core would actually be a great fit.

I agree with this. My 5.3" Galaxy Note is simply too big. It's awesome for web browsing, video and reading manga. But one-handed operation sucks, and it's uncomfortable to have in your pocket when sitting down.

When I'll get a new phone in a few year's time, I'll probably get a ~4.3" one, along with a 7" tablet for reading manga.

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #1,083 of 21,763
Quote:
Remember when we were talking about how Sony used to cool and respected "back in the day"?

That day ain't coming back anytime soon.  New patents for DNA based DRM...

Fondness for Sony...

Waning even more....

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #1,084 of 21,763
My Samsung Android phone has a low power mode that will kick-in at whatever % of battery life you wish, and you can configure it to disable various features. Of course, it also *beeps* when it enters that mode too...

As far as an extra battery - keeping 2 batteries charged is a pain in the butt, and the phone takes too long to power-up. And, of course, it also does a stupidly loud power-on sound...

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #1,085 of 21,763
That is just disturbing and showing the trend of the Government and the Private sector invading our privacy's. With each passing year the world really is looking like the "new world order".

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #1,086 of 21,763
I agree with this. My 5.3" Galaxy Note is simply too big. It's awesome for web browsing, video and reading manga. But one-handed operation sucks, and it's uncomfortable to have in your pocket when sitting down.

When I'll get a new phone in a few year's time, I'll probably get a ~4.3" one, along with a 7" tablet for reading manga.

This was my plan earlier this year, but now I'm waiting for W8 tablets first to see what will be cropping up. Lenovo's ThinkPad Tablet 2 seems awesome enough: active digitizer with a stylus in its own silo, on top of being a Windows 8 Pro (meaning full desktop version). I'm still contemplating whether or not a 16:9 7-inch screen is good for engineering textbooks. One of my friends have an iPad now though so I guess time to be a very good friend.

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #1,087 of 21,763
My Samsung Android phone has a low power mode that will kick-in at whatever % of battery life you wish, and you can configure it to disable various features. Of course, it also *beeps* when it enters that mode too...

As far as an extra battery - keeping 2 batteries charged is a pain in the butt, and the phone takes too long to power-up. And, of course, it also does a stupidly loud power-on sound...

Hmm. Even in silent mode? I have to check again whether or not Symbian does that too, or not.

MORE EDITS: Again, even if before switching it off it's in silent mode there's that annoying start up music?
-------------------------------
That is just disturbing and showing the trend of the Government and the Private sector invading our privacy's. With each passing year the world really is looking like the "new world order".

Your second sentence is almost word for word with one of the comments in that article.

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #1,088 of 21,763
Quote:
Hmm. Even in silent mode? I have to check again whether or not Symbian does that too, or not.
Your second sentence is almost word for word with one of the comments in that article.

lol I skimmed through it quickly, didn't get my sentence from it though :p. Just reading through it made me angry.

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #1,089 of 21,763
Quote:

Welcome to the internet, predecessor of skynet.

Jokes aside, it's an unfortunate side effect of an increasingly connected world.

However, one company's stupidity can't be confused for everyone else's. This is Sony, not the government, and not the entire private sector. This whole new world order thing seems a lot like conspiracy theory to me. If we want to get technical, we've been living in a new world order since the introduction of the UN. Look at what's going on in Syria: people are being massacred by their government, but nothing can be done because Russia and China have opposed taking action. That's a 'type' of world order that's been in place for a long time.

Sony wants to track you for the purposes of DRM and advertising in order to enhance their spreadsheets, not to progress some global agenda.

If you want something to get riled up about, let's talk about the return of the antarctic ozone hole, rising sea levels, and the fact that we'll all be steamed vegetables within our lifetimes if we don't do something about the direction our planet is headed in.

New world order or not, we won't survive to see it if nothing's done about the climate.

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #1,091 of 21,763
Welcome to the internet, predecessor of skynet.

Jokes aside, it's an unfortunate side effect of an increasingly connected world.

However, one company's stupidity can't be confused for everyone else's. This is Sony, not the government, and not the entire private sector. This whole new world order thing seems a lot like conspiracy theory to me. If we want to get technical, we've been living in a new world order since the introduction of the UN. Look at what's going on in Syria: people are being massacred by their government, but nothing can be done because Russia and China have opposed taking action. That's a 'type' of world order that's been in place for a long time.

Sony wants to track you for the purposes of DRM and advertising in order to enhance their spreadsheets, not to progress some global agenda.

If you want something to get riled up about, let's talk about the return of the antarctic ozone hole, rising sea levels, and the fact that we'll all be steamed vegetables within our lifetimes if we don't do something about the direction our planet is headed in.

New world order or not, we won't survive to see it if nothing's done about the climate.

What makes you think there is anything we can do about the climate? I think the idea of our species having much control over the long-term viability of human life on this planet is seriously overestimated. Adapt or die.

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #1,092 of 21,763
Quote:
What makes you think there is anything we can do about the climate? I think the idea of our species having much control over the long-term viability of human life on this planet is seriously overestimated. Adapt or die.

Hows about we stop dumping crap into the atmosphere so that if we die, at least we didn't kill ourselves. 

I'd like to see you adapt to ionizing radiation.

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #1,093 of 21,763
My point is that the human time scale is ridiculously short compared to the geologic time scale. Mass extinction events have happened many times before mammals ever appeared, and will certainly happen again, regardless of anything man does or does not do. Whether we kill our species or not, the universe doesn't care and will continue with whatever is left - with or without what we consider as "life".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event

Sep 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #1,094 of 21,763
My point is that the human time scale is ridiculously short compared to the geologic time scale. Mass extinction events have happened many times before mammals ever appeared, and will certainly happen again, regardless of anything man does or does not do. Whether we kill our species or not, the universe doesn't care and will continue with whatever is left - with or without what we consider as "life".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event

Even assuming that life is just a happy accident on one small planet on the edge of things, isn't it a good idea to try to keep the world functional for humans, even if means nothing in the larger scheme of things?

Sep 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #1,095 of 21,763
The Meizu MX-4 core looks like an AMAZING audiophile offer, but as such it ends up short on other places. Battery, screen size, pixel density, screen brightness all seem to take a hit. On the other hand, I'm in love with that FlymeOS thing going on there.

I'd say the next iteration of the Meizu may be something really interesting to look at, audiophiles and normal phone consumers alike. My Galaxy S3 is a pretty cruddy music player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back