The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Sep 21, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #976 of 21,761
I just watched the video mutabor posted. Is it me or did I just hear the playsation 2 boot up sound at 0:42-0:-51??
confused.gif

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #977 of 21,761
Quote:
I consider myself a mathematician (or better: mathematician-in-training), and I can definitely understand literature. I just don't care for it myself, since I prefer reading scientific books (in many fields, as long as it's interesting) and manga.
Mathematics requires talent and dedication. But especially the latter. I think this is also one of the reasons many people are scared of mathematics.
I'm not saying other fields don't require these two qualities, but mathematics can seem a whole lot more inaccessible.

I'd argue that literature isn't really a matter of "getting" something in a single go, but is rather a continuing process whereby new interpretations and shifting textual relationships are constantly unfolding. One can reread the same works their entire life and not exhaust their depths.

Many people can read and write, and many people can appreciate literature to varying degrees. I'd say not many people comparatively are truly adept at literary criticism, and fewer still are genuinely adept writers. These too are skills that people dedicate their lives to honing, and only a relative few genuinely reach the upper echelons. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #978 of 21,761
So, my girlfriend's iP5 came in today. Everything about the phone is beautiful. It's fast as hell, the new features are great, and everything is just peaches and cream....

Except for the screen. 

Don't get me wrong, the size increase is a welcome improvement. It's just that the colo(u)rs are so...saturated. I guess it may take some getting used to coming from my own iP4, but damn.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #979 of 21,761
I could never have been a literature or any kind of arts major. I'm really not a very good visual learner. I am a much better aural learner. I have always read fiction for enjoyment, but reading for knowledge that must be retained is much harder for me. In school I had good reading comprehension, but I can make connections faster and easier from a lecture or an audio book than I can from reading the text. I have also always been *horrible* at memorizing anything - I will remember general concepts and tidbits of detail, but there's no way I could rattle off a passage from a book - even if it is a passage I found very insightful & enlightening. In my math & engineering classes, I would get an A in very difficult classes if the instructor tested on what he lectured and had open book tests. OTOH, if the instructor tested from details only found in the book and the tests were closed book, I was lucky to squeak by with a C. Luckily, my real world work is much more like the former and not the latter!

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #980 of 21,761
Quote:
I could never have been a literature or any kind of arts major. I'm really not a very good visual learner. I am a much better aural learner. I have always read fiction for enjoyment, but reading for knowledge that must be retained is much harder for me. In school I had good reading comprehension, but I can make connections faster and easier from a lecture or an audio book than I can from reading the text. I have also always been *horrible* at memorizing anything - I will remember general concepts and tidbits of detail, but there's no way I could rattle off a passage from a book - even if it is a passage I found very insightful & enlightening. In my math & engineering classes, I would get an A in very difficult classes if the instructor tested on what he lectured and had open book tests. OTOH, if the instructor tested from details only found in the book and the tests were closed book, I was lucky to squeak by with a C. Luckily, my real world work is much more like the former and not the latter!

I tended to be good in both areas but did not like being put on the spot (my worst nightmare lol). Generally when it came to tests (particularly memorization) I'd just study just before the test and always got As and Bs. If I put too much effort in it I'd get nervous and mess up on the tests :p.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #981 of 21,761
I tended to be good in both areas but did not like being put on the spot (my worst nightmare lol). Generally when it came to tests (particularly memorization) I'd just study just before the test and always got As and Bs. If I put too much effort in it I'd get nervous and mess up on the tests :p.

I never had a problem with speaking out - it was usually much harder to get me to shut-up... :wink:

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #982 of 21,761
I wish I was you then :wink:. The world would suffer my wrath if my thoughts were to become reality lol (speaking what's in my mind). Then again I think I'd probably piss off a lot of people as well.. Would be funny though, I'd be a real comedian then.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #983 of 21,761
I wish I was you then :wink:. The world would suffer my wrath if my thoughts were to become reality lol (speaking what's in my mind). Then again I think I'd probably piss off a lot of people as well.. Would be funny though, I'd be a real comedian then.

I grew-up in a family of loud, fast talkers - Our dinner table was usually very lively - you either spoke-up and drowned out the other person, or you wouldn't get to say anything at all!

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #985 of 21,761
Quote:
I've got some really big, intimidating decisions weighing on me at the moment. The prospect of moving to Oregon is both exciting and terrifying. Also I'd be focusing less on the historical / anthropological aspect of my discipline and more on the linguistic side of it. Not sure how I really feel about that.

Portland, Oregon?

That does sound like a big jump.

Quote:
And since two of the Regulars here are getting/have got their iP5, I wonder if this would happen to you?

Actually, I've been hopelessly misled by the old maps. And even accurate, ink on paper maps. I'm hopeless with directions. I haven't tried to navigate with the new maps yet, so I'm not sure how good it is. I do like the performance of the vector maps though. Wonderfully, we don't even get to experience the flyover bedlam here in Australia because its US only at this point.

Quote:
I don't like rap and contemporary R&B but Frank Ocean's debut album "Channel Orange" I quite liked. It reminded me ancient times when I enjoyed listening to Stevie Wonder. 

Here is his new video "Piramids".

I do like it!

Quote:
Well I'll be... I think that the XBA-1 and -2 are the nicest of the Sony XBA bunch, so this is pretty interesting. I like the 2 more though, IIRC. FALSE! Did a check on the old thread, and I like the XBA-1 since it doesn't have the weird treble I heard auditioning all 4, and I like the SportsBA more since I like the ear strap (and a bit of a bass bump, albeit IIRC it is a bit boomy). Hmm I should buy that, and a Clip Zip w/ 64GB for kicks.

I found that the earpod hurts my right after a while, so no cigar. Still, its nice to know that the next generation of music listeners will have a better baseline to go off. Will probably encourage some degree of competition in the industry.

Quote:
I've always wondered, and this may sound ignorant. But, what is it exactly a philosopher / researcher in philosophy can do? I imagine one can write interesting articles or books, or something, but that would only earn you enough to go around if you're really talented. And if you study the works of other philosophers, how can that go on for so long? You can criticize it, but what else? But my most burning question of all: does philosophy ever move forward?
You seem like the best person to ask these questions.

I don't tend to think philosophy can really move forward a great deal, since at its core it seems to me to be a study of the basic mechanisms of abstract knowledge - knowledge about knowledge, truth, morals, etc. What later writers seem to come up with are just new models or lenses with which to think about these basic (but profound) issues. As soon as you start introducing some kind of degree of empiricism to the discussion, it starts to verge towards other sciences - which makes sense, since (and this is a deliberately redundant statement) knowledge is the basis of all knowledge.

Quote:
So, my girlfriend's iP5 came in today. Everything about the phone is beautiful. It's fast as hell, the new features are great, and everything is just peaches and cream....

Except for the screen. 

Don't get me wrong, the size increase is a welcome improvement. It's just that the colo(u)rs are so...saturated. I guess it may take some getting used to coming from my own iP4, but damn.

I completely agree with you, I'm really not liking the oversaturated colours on the screen. I don't mind the overall warm tint to the screen, but it feels like all the app icons were originally designed to work for an undersaturated screen and now look awful. Photos and browsing look fine.

I'm going to have to change to a new phone background just to compensate for the garishness on display. :p

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #986 of 21,761
Torch mode is what sells displays inside brightly lit stores. It will look brighter and more colorful then the others, then when you get it home, you start to notice that every person you take a picture of looks like they have a sunburn.

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #987 of 21,761
Ok thanks guys, I've decided to order in a couple of Popul Vuh CD's and a Jia Peng Fang CD. I've also downloaded the Summer Cycle CD by My Shadow to tie me over until my new music arrives. So far I'm really digging it, thanks a lot fellow boppers. I'm going to look into the other stuff later on down the road.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:MuppetFace
It's always been part of what I do: ie. translation and focusing on key usage of words in texts, the development of those usages across authors and translations, and theories of meaning specifically in Plato, Aristotle, and Augustine. The main difference is that my focus right now is more on the literary side of things, the specific works and the specific hermeneutics involved in studying them (both in medieval times---such as Aquinas' study of Aristotle and Islamic scholars---and as modern-day exegetes looking back from our current perspective).

The biggest difference is that in this new position I would be expected to be less historically focused and more ahistorical. Historicity would still be involved in discussing hermeneutics, but it would be focused less on the actual application and more on the theory of hermeneutics itself as it's developed across different times into the contemporary era. Similarly with linguistics, it wouldn't really involve classical language structures as much, but also more linguistic theory as it's developed through history up to structuralism and post-structuralism in the 20th century.

No offense but that kind of work sounds kind of dry. Are you sure you'll be happy doing that kind of job? Considering your background I'm sure you can do it quite easily whether or not you'd be bored to the point of wanting to scream is a different matter though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:ardgedee
I just realized that since my partner's getting her iPhone today, I'll have access to Apple's new generation of iBuds.

I don't think she'll mind if I mooch them for a tryout.

Keep us posted on how they sound.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since we have some iPhone 5 users could someone please hook up a DAC and please let me know if the new connection dock is sand boxed or if it's open to use by all DAC manufacturers?????

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #988 of 21,761

Except for the screen. 

I completely agree with you, I'm really not liking the oversaturated colours on the screen. I don't mind the overall warm tint to the screen, but it feels like all the app icons were originally designed to work for an undersaturated screen and now look awful. Photos and browsing look fine.

I'm going to have to change to a new phone background just to compensate for the garishness on display. :p

Well I don't have any iPhone 4S near me at all (none of my friends took the iP4 to 4S upgrade) so how do you think the 4 compare screen-wise? Or is the 4S and 4 the same in that regard?

I found that the earpod hurts my right after a while, so no cigar. Still, its nice to know that the next generation of music listeners will have a better baseline to go off. Will probably encourage some degree of competition in the industry.
------------------------------------------
Actually, I've been hopelessly misled by the old maps. And even accurate, ink on paper maps. I'm hopeless with directions. I haven't tried to navigate with the new maps yet, so I'm not sure how good it is. I do like the performance of the vector maps though. Wonderfully, we don't even get to experience the flyover bedlam here in Australia because its US only at this point.

Well, competition is always good.

I think there's been missing monuments in other parts of the world too, but I'm not sure if that's just the normal map mode or the flyover mode.
--------------------------------------
And after spending so much time reading and waiting for headphones reviews (quality ones should take from 5 weeks to 2 months of use before any full review, IMO), I found that any smartphone reviews that are churned out in less than 24 hours to be seriously invalid. I mean, sure iOS 6 (my gripe currently) is familiar and is just another incremental upgrade UI-wise from what I see. But still, 24 hours is hardly an enough of a time frame to test what matters more: battery life. I would deem a good review of smartphones is something like 1 week of use. This should simulate real world enough, super duper high use of everything on the phone, and very low power usage to see how long it can stand before needing a charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back