The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jan 22, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #4,876 of 21,761
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I can imagine Steam being a culprit for a lot of folks that should be doing better at school than they are. 
biggrin.gif

I do quite like the Ubuntu minimal install, since it kind of requires you to at least know what you want on your system, and is very minimalistic about it all, while still maintaining a certain degree of user-friendliness.

The idea of a persistent USB Linux is intriguing, I've never tried it myself aside from a few times with Puppy (which is a great dist as well). However, as for interfaces, I used to be KDE guy until they went south and I migrated to Gnome, which I started to love until they went south. Now I'm on XFCE and I have to say, that so far I'm really, really liking it.

The thing is that the more you will build it yourself, you'll probably come to notice that it will sway away and differentiate from most of those bloated mainstream distros (I'm just guessing right now, as this happened to me) and start to look more and more like something like crunchbang.

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #4,878 of 21,761
Quote:
The idea of a persistent USB Linux is intriguing, I've never tried it myself aside from a few times with Puppy (which is a great dist as well).

The thing is that the more you will build it yourself, you'll probably come to notice that it will sway away and differentiate from most of those bloated mainstream distros (I'm just guessing right now, as this happened to me) and start to look more and more like something like crunchbang.

OTOH security on persistent usb linux is by nature pretty bad though; so I absolutely wouldn't want to lose such a flash drive.

As for minimal linux, your completely right. I'm not missing the login screen, and find that I prefer being forced to use the use the terminals and config files. Why? It may not be as easy as a GUI at first, but it makes me feel somewhat powerful :p

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #4,879 of 21,761
Sounds like a veritable annoying audio Legion of Doom!

I had a scary thought myself, an idea for a new project: the 2013 Customs Calendar. The idea would involve living with a new pair of customs and writing up extensive impressions every month.

January - Heir 8.A
February - JH Audio JH16Pro
March - FitEar MH335DW
April - Canal Works CW-L05QD
May - Spiral Ears SE5-Way Reference
June - Rooth LS8
July - Rooth LS8+
August - Hidition NT6-Pro 
September - Unique Melody PP6 
October - Ultimate Ears PRM
November - Stax SR-002 w/ custom tips
December - Mystery Bespoke 10-Driver CIEM

Yeah, that's insane. But it's a fun thought.

Godspeed...

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #4,880 of 21,761
Quote:
Quote:

OTOH security on persistent usb linux is by nature pretty bad though; so I absolutely wouldn't want to lose such a flash drive.

As for minimal linux, your completely right. I'm not missing the login screen, and find that I prefer being forced to use the use the terminals and config files. Why? It may not be as easy as a GUI at first, but it makes me feel somewhat powerful :p

Still it's a neat thing to have. An operating system on the go... On an USB drive. I would never intend to use it as a primary sort of OS but still, it's a neat thing to have.

LOL, yeah, using the terminals/TTYs and config files does indeed make you feel powerful and nerdy. Also, sometimes I use the verbose version of doing things like moving a lot of files and so on, just because it makes me feel like Neo.

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #4,882 of 21,761
It strikes me as being more of a value add for people who are only going to have one set of custom IEMs, since it's a chunk of hardware dedicated to another chunk of hardware. It also seems to me at risk of being obsoleted since portable audio tech keeps going in all kinds of directions these days.

Despite saying that, I don't have any strong opinions either way. I think if I was going all-in on the JH16, I'd probably do it -- but only if the arrangement allows me to also use the JH16 on any other amp I choose.

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #4,883 of 21,761
Quote:
It strikes me as being more of a value add for people who are only going to have one set of custom IEMs, since it's a chunk of hardware dedicated to another chunk of hardware. It also seems to me at risk of being obsoleted since portable audio tech keeps going in all kinds of directions these days.

Despite saying that, I don't have any strong opinions either way. I think if I was going all-in on the JH16, I'd probably do it -- but only if the arrangement allows me to also use the JH16 on any other amp I choose.

JH provides an adapter that lets you use the JH16 on other amps, which is the only reason I'm considering it. The ability to control the bass level using hardware has an appeal...

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #4,884 of 21,761
Some news on the JVC DX2000:

Apparently the cups aren't matte black as in JVC's renders, but rather a dark red wine color? They look lacquered. TH900 on the left, DX2000 on the right.

Someone who has heard them purports the sound is an improvement over the DX1000.

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #4,885 of 21,761
Wow those looks really beautiful :). Did you also consider getting the FX800? I heard they improved upon the treble and bass? Honestly I wanted to hear improvements on mids....
rolleyes.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #4,886 of 21,761
Quote:
Some news on the JVC DX2000:

Apparently the cups aren't matte black as in JVC's renders, but rather a dark red wine color? They look lacquered. TH900 on the left, DX2000 on the right.

Someone who has heard them purports the sound is an improvement over the DX1000.

Those are really, really looking good. Maybe Fostex is the OEM for JVC now as Denon dropped them? I really wish I can find a place to demo these things but I think I would have to be in Japan to do so. The new ATH-ES700 is also striking but I missed the opportunity to try them before flying back home.

I've been really quiet (even more than usual) recently due to Pokemon studd but I've actually been looking for a comfortable full-sized closed can and while the JVC's DX series are too expensive for me maybe the Beyerdynamic DT770pro would suffice.

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #4,887 of 21,761
Quote:

Those are really, really looking good. Maybe Fostex is the OEM for JVC now as Denon dropped them? I really wish I can find a place to demo these things but I think I would have to be in Japan to do so. The new ATH-ES700 is also striking but I missed the opportunity to try them before flying back home.

I've been really quiet (even more than usual) recently due to Pokemon studd but I've actually been looking for a comfortable full-sized closed can and while the JVC's DX series are too expensive for me maybe the Beyerdynamic DT770pro would suffice.

Kenwood who is now partners with JVC used to have Audio-Technica as an OEM, and if anything the lacquer on these cups is more reminiscent of Audio-Technia's Japan series. However I think JVC has their own engineering department, and it's probably more an attempt at association with all the recent lacquer showing up in high-end audio.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #4,890 of 21,761
Hah, I was considering that a couple weeks ago when I was ordering some IEM cases from mp4nation, but decided against; since my audio rack is welded steel wire, the stands will fall right through. (Also, the "BRAINWAVZ" stamped on them is a bit much, but I guess it's not really visible when they're holding headphones).

Let us know how they work. I've thought back and forth on Omega-style stands before but my concern always comes back to whether they're heavy enough to keep from flipping over when trying to hang the headphones on 'em (or take 'em off).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back