The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #3,751 of 21,761
I'm spending more time with my bedside rig than I have in awhile, which now consists of W4S DAC-2 -> ECBA or Lehmann BCL -> headphones (TH900's atm).

While I'd be hesitant to call it "unreal" like the Innerfidelity review, the ECBA has very nice imaging with a stage that dissipates at its end, which seems to be a consistent arc around my head, rather than just stopping at some point as with most amps.  

I've actually noticed three little bits of information in songs today I hadn't heard before too!

I'm not sure how I'd describe the tonality yet other than "good."  Vocals (the first things that typically stand out to me with new gear) are really... there? They have this convincing solidity to them but don't seem exaggerated at all. This seems congruent with the TH900's own ability to convince you that air they're exhaling actually exists somewhere. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #3,753 of 21,761
@MF: I recall you saying over there that they didn't seem worthwhile.  I take it some more positive impressions have come out (and James was one of them)? 

I was kind of interested in getting them a few months ago due to the Giger-esque appearance you pointed out, but now I'm feeling meh about it, just curious about others' enjoyment of them.  I think the next couple of IEMs I'll get, assuming I get any more at all, will be customs.

Quote:
I've actually noticed three little bits of information in songs today I hadn't heard before too!

Make that, like, a dozen now.

I ordered a new Bonsai tree that's supposed to do better indoors than my old one, which is still sitting there dead by my DAC being a buzzkill.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #3,754 of 21,761
Quote:
Is that your rig? (I'm curious about the IE800's)

Yep. The IE800 are great for my intended use (= this rig). But on the whole they're more like a mix of genius and insanity. I suggest you read the last few pages of the IE800 thread, if you're interested.

Quote:
james444: do you have the intl version of the galaxy s3? Sadly the American variant doesn't have the wolfson dac so hear a LOT of noise.

Tbo, I didn't even know there were different versions. My unit sounds pretty clean with Neutron Music Player, even over aptX / bluetooth.

Quote:
James is the only person whose impressions I trust who has actually heard / owns the IE800.

... and probably the culprit why no one else here has got them so far. 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
@james, no portable stack? HERESY! Nah I'm just kidding. Nice picture though, really like what you did.

Thanks. Oh, and belated birthday wishes to you!

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #3,755 of 21,761
Lucky lucky you. The American variant has a hiss, but since it cuts out audio when it's not playing, it's not continuous. This leads to "silence... HISS HISS HISS... silence... HISSSSSSS" so annoying. I'd rather it just be continuous...

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #3,756 of 21,761
I'm faced with some decisions tonight regarding some potential projects in this hobby of mine. There's simply too much going on, too many possible directions. I need to establish where my priorities lie and go from there.

Currently thinking about a restoration project that would be rather costly, involving a rare amp that needs a little help. Pairing that with some speakers like the Cicadas would make for a killer rig.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #3,758 of 21,761
Quote:
Lucky lucky you. The American variant has a hiss, but since it cuts out audio when it's not playing, it's not continuous. This leads to "silence... HISS HISS HISS... silence... HISSSSSSS" so annoying. I'd rather it just be continuous...

Sorry to hear that :frowning2:   I only encountered notable hiss with PlayerPro, but that's due to a bug in its DSP pack. The sound quality with Neutron Music Player is stellar on my unit.

Just a thought, maybe aptX bluetooth isn't affected by the glitch and you would actually gain sound quality by going wireless? The HS3000 isn't that expensive, would possibly be worth a try.

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #3,759 of 21,761
Welp, speak of the devil. My FXD80's went through the wash; now all the bass is gone. (No they don't sound better as a result.)

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #3,760 of 21,761
Quote:
Welp, speak of the devil. My FXD80's went through the wash; now all the bass is gone. (No they don't sound better as a result.)

That's terrible to hear. I've had my own experience 2 years ago when I just bought my Clip+ and began my head-fi journey. I wasn't used to the size yet so I forgot it in my jeans back pocket. I only found it after sorting my clothes from the dryer (yes it went through both the washing machine and the dryer). I never panicked so much but for some reason it still turned on and functioned properly. The earbuds that were plugged were another case though - the wire coating was stripped off and exposed everything. That eventually led me to search for IEMs much sooner than expected.

EDIT: 500th post. Wow.

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #3,762 of 21,761
Blegh. I guess I will just start using my XBA-1's as my carry-everywhere option.

Grats on the posts Phonenix!

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #3,763 of 21,761
I'm faced with some decisions tonight regarding some potential projects in this hobby of mine. There's simply too much going on, too many possible directions. I need to establish where my priorities lie and go from there.

Currently thinking about a restoration project that would be rather costly, involving a rare amp that needs a little help. Pairing that with some speakers like the Cicadas would make for a killer rig.

Why specifically tonight?  Rare amp and Cicada sounds cool... as long as your write poetry about them once you're done.

Aw =(

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #3,764 of 21,761

Do you think burn in might return them to normal? Just a thought. Sorry to hear this anyway.

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #3,765 of 21,761
Quote:

Sorry about that. Maybe try rinsing them in clean water or alcohol, then letting it dry out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back