The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Nov 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #2,837 of 21,761
I finally got around to pairing my M-100 to Eva tonight with op amp 209. I'm fast becoming an op amp 209 fundamentalist. Eva is one wild cat, I'm so glad I bought this amp. Many thanks goes out to the tribe on this thread who first made me aware of Leckerton. Anyone out there know of a good op amp that takes it a step beyond the smooth melodic 627AP and will present a more tubey almost vinyl like sound?

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #2,838 of 21,761
Quote:
I'm thinking of creating a small list of headphones (mid-fi, definitely not summit-fi) to buy. There should be a good amount of classics and good new models that isn't on my profile here, and most of them for good prices. Beyerdynamics (DT770 pro or 990 pro), Sony "mumble-mumble"-Z1000, Grado SR325-something, A few AKG models, Sennheiser HD600/650, and so on. There's a myriad of headphones to try and collect. Obviously, I can't go ahead and buy all of them at the same time, but perhaps see if I can portion this list over a year or so.

I want to try either the HD600 or the Sony SA3000 
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #2,840 of 21,761
Quote:
Whoa! Head-fi has a mobile version now! It's crazy how different this looks. I could learn to like it, for sure.

Yeah, it looks really good imo. I like it!

Close to 6000 lines of code ATM, and the server is up and configured. I'm pretty far away from land though, and I have yet to pass the island of SQL connections, SQL commands and stuff (we're talking thousands of variables that need to be stored on the database server, and non-computer-people that need to put the data in there -- PHEW!). Luckily, since I'm being alone in developing this, I'm pretty free to solve this any way I want to, and because of that I've developed smaller programs that generates a lot of the code for me. I mean, what's the point of declaring thousands of variables into my code, when I can just code a program that does it for me - automagically. The same goes for all the SQL commands and so on ... This way, I can just concentrate on the logic in the main program, instead of doing all the "ant work". I am, admittedly, pretty proud of this solution - if you ask me! 
wink.gif

Quote:
I want to try either the HD600 or the Sony SA3000 
tongue.gif

Yeah, I was at first very interested in the HD650, because it was supposed to be bassier, but since I already have quite a few bassy headphones, I want something else as well. This is where the HD600 fits in.

But this list will probably be pretty big - we're talking several beyerdynamics, sonys, grados (or perhaps just one grado), hifimans, senns, audio-technicas, and so on and so forth. There's really a myriad of mid-fi stuff out there just screaming for me to buy them. At least it's fun to plan this list and pretend that I have all the money for making it happen. 
biggrin.gif

The reason I'm willing to spend that amount of cash on mid-fi stuff instead of one, big, great headphone is because I don't want that one perfect headphone (if it existed). Where's the fun in owning that particular one, when the chase, the hunt for personal taste and quality stuff, is the funniest part of it all. At least, that's how I reason. I'm still young and hungry in this game, no need to sit down and relax with one perfect headphone. That's for "retirement".

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #2,841 of 21,761
Quote:
Yeah, it looks really good imo. I like it!

Close to 6000 lines of code ATM, and the server is up and configured. I'm pretty far away from land though, and I have yet to pass the island of SQL connections, SQL commands and stuff (we're talking thousands of variables that need to be stored on the database server, and non-computer-people that need to put the data in there -- PHEW!). Luckily, since I'm being alone in developing this, I'm pretty free to solve this any way I want to, and because of that I've developed smaller programs that generates a lot of the code for me. I mean, what's the point of declaring thousands of variables into my code, when I can just code a program that does it for me - automagically. The same goes for all the SQL commands and so on ... This way, I can just concentrate on the logic in the main program, instead of doing all the "ant work". I am, admittedly, pretty proud of this solution - if you ask me! 
wink.gif

Yeah, I was at first very interested in the HD650, because it was supposed to be bassier, but since I already have quite a few bassy headphones, I want something else as well. This is where the HD600 fits in.

But this list will probably be pretty big - we're talking several beyerdynamics, sonys, grados (or perhaps just one grado), hifimans, senns, audio-technicas, and so on and so forth. There's really a myriad of mid-fi stuff out there just screaming for me to buy them. At least it's fun to plan this list and pretend that I have all the money for making it happen. 
biggrin.gif

The reason I'm willing to spend that amount of cash on mid-fi stuff instead of one, big, great headphone is because I don't want that one perfect headphone (if it existed). Where's the fun in owning that particular one, when the chase, the hunt for personal taste and quality stuff, is the funniest part of it all. At least, that's how I reason. I'm still young and hungry in this game, no need to sit down and relax with one perfect headphone. That's for "retirement".

If the HD650 is too bassy I think the DT880 will be better for you....... the DT990 pro is really bassy stock IMHO.......... but mine has a broken headband (yes the Beyerdynamic people cannot be bothered to fix it 
angry_face.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #2,842 of 21,761
Quote:
If the HD650 is too bassy I think the DT880 will be better for you....... the DT990 pro is really bassy stock IMHO.......... but mine has a broken headband (yes the Beyerdynamic people cannot be bothered to fix it 
angry_face.gif

No no, nothing can ever be too bassy for me. If possible, I'd like two subwoofers connected to my ears for those times when I want bass. The bass is not the issue. The thing is that I want other focuses as well to my rather shy collection of headphones. I want many different flavors, and considering that I want either the HD600 or the HD650, I'm thinking that I might go for the HD600 instead of the HD650, only because the HD650 is said to be bassier.

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #2,845 of 21,761
I bought my SA3000 (new) for less $200, in a store.  I see no reason to invest in an SA5000 (second hand) for $500, online, with shipping times, import tax, and no shopping experience.

Speaking from owning both, one has leather / magnesium and the other has some kind of... Nylon?... and plastic, different colours, and apart from these aesthetic features, I hear no distinct differences from one to the next.

The SA3000 with some fine mid spikes via eq, is very very similar sounding to the ATH-AD1000PRM.

The SA3000 comes from a time of Sony first-class development, it's a direct successor to the team of the Qualia 010, after all.

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #2,850 of 21,761
I think it's amusing that the Qualia is reputed to be incredibly challenging to match with amplifiers, while the SA(3,5)000 is relatively easygoing. In contrast, the R10 is reputed to sound good out of anything, while the CD3000 is distinctly mediocre through amps it doesn't like...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back