The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Nov 21, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #2,701 of 21,761
Quote:
warrenpchi said:
And to all my fellow Americans in here, Happy Thanksgiving!

beerchug.gif

I'm looking for some early Sweet Potato Pie...

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #2,704 of 21,761
We should all chip in 10 bones and get MF an ALO mobile amp. Usually I'd suggest flowers for the birthday girl but considering this is Romy she'll probably appreciate the amp more

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #2,705 of 21,761
oops, wrong thread. :p

Happy Bday!

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #2,708 of 21,761
Happy [early] Thanksgiving! No turkey for me (and no they don't contain enough Tryptophan to make you sleepy), unfortunately, but here's an interesting video on authentic sound design for the movie 'Lincoln'.

[VIDEO]http://vimeo.com/53632294[/VIDEO]​

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #2,710 of 21,761
I know Im late but happy birthday MF.

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #2,713 of 21,761
So, my TMA-1 Studio's arrived, but when I was trying out the pleather earpads, the glue attaching the plastic to the foam on the PU Foam earpads came apart. Apparently this is an issue with them.

They actually sound a lot less bassy than I expected. If anything they are more broad mid-band heavy, though they have a recession somewhere in the highs that gives them that gives them that (probably artificial) sense of 'clarity'. The sound is clean and far from sluggish, but the lack of sub-bass compared to mid-bass makes them sound like the epitome of punchy. 

The design (which is, let's face it, the primary reason I bought these headphones) is just gorgeous. I love my monoliths.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #2,714 of 21,761
Quote:
We should all chip in 10 bones and get MF an ALO mobile amp. Usually I'd suggest flowers for the birthday girl but considering this is Romy she'll probably appreciate the amp more

If 50 or so people sent me $10 I'd send her mine.  I don't find it very practical for any of my portables and am trying to sell of unused daps and amps in light of some recent, more meaningful upgrades I've made to my 2 home setups.

Is the MK3-B on sale there this weekend?  I don't see any actual sales when I click the head-fi ad.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #2,715 of 21,761
Quote:

If 50 or so people sent me $10 I'd send her mine.  I don't find it very practical for any of my portables and am trying to sell of unused daps and amps in light of some recent, more meaningful upgrades I've made to my 2 home setups.

Is the MK3-B on sale there this weekend?  I don't see any actual sales when I click the head-fi ad.

Not sure about the MK3-B but the ALO Black Friday sale is supposed to kick into full swing tomorrow. What they'll put on sale is anyone's guess.

This is a rather depressing to read

Quote:dj nellie
After spending a few days listening to my -dB, using the single-ended output to my MK3 and Pico Slim and with the Ed. 8, DT1350, and UERM, I have some initial impressions.  The first is that the -dB seems to have a darker, warmer sound signature than the original CLAS.  Whether that's due to a change in tonal balance, or whether the -dB is actually hazy and veiled in comparison to the CLAS, I can't really say without having the CLAS in front of me.  But I owned the CLAS for about 18 months and I think I remember its sound pretty well.

The lowered gain is definitely a big plus for me, as it minimizes the amount of hiss that the MK3 produces and allows for more usable positions on the volume dial with sensitive headphones.  But I'm somewhat underwhelmed with the sound of the -dB.  It just doesn't feel as crisp, transparent and neutral as I remember the CLAS sounding.  But I suppose if you found the CLAS to sound a bit harsh or anemic, then the -dB could be seen as more natural and rich.  I'm finding the sound slightly dull, but maybe it will grow on me.

I'm interested to see if (and how) the sound might change in balanced output mode, once the "fixed" -dBs become available.

Supposedly the new db utilizes a AKM chip instead of the original Wolfson chip the first CLAS used. I wonder why Cypher Labs dropped Wolfson for AKM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back