The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Nov 15, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #2,597 of 21,761
Are your Nami-chans customized Fostex 50Rs? Did you do it by yourself or is it made by somebody else? 

Did you try to find audiophile gatherings in Moscow?

Yes it is a Fostex T50RP. I modded it myself, but I lost interest to document it and share it to the public. Not because of trade secret or anything, just laziness. :p

Admittedly I am not looking hard enough because language is still my #1 barrier. Despite being here for 3 years and a half now, I'm still talking like a 2 y.o. :p

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #2,598 of 21,761
Quote:
Yes it is a Fostex T50RP. I modded it myself, but I lost interest to document it and share it to the public. Not because of trade secret or anything, just laziness.
tongue.gif

Admittedly I am not looking hard enough because language is still my #1 barrier. Despite being here for 3 years and a half now, I'm still talking like a 2 y.o.
tongue.gif

Your typed English is better than that of many of my American co-workers.....including the one with a master's degree! 

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #2,599 of 21,761
That's because in Malaysia, we learn it for 11 years, and I actually put real effort to use it in life, rather than just focus it only for exams. And I seem to imply that it's better than being born into an English speaking family. I would hazard a guess that it's because people don't give a crap.

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #2,600 of 21,761
Quote:
Yes it is a Fostex T50RP. I modded it myself, but I lost interest to document it and share it to the public. Not because of trade secret or anything, just laziness.
tongue.gif

I can afford Fostex T50RPs but I'm afraid that I will screw them while modifying. And I can't afford mods like Mad Dogs. Are T50RPs worth considering?

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #2,601 of 21,761
The T50rp mods with the most impact on the sound look so simple that even *I* am thinking about trying them - and that means they must be REALLY simple! :) A little clay, tape, cotton & the Shure pads and you are in business.

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #2,603 of 21,761
Quote:
The T50rp mods with the most impact on the sound look so simple that even *I* am thinking about trying them - and that means they must be REALLY simple!
smily_headphones1.gif
A little clay, tape, cotton & the Shure pads and you are in business.

But if there is a real potential to make them sound considerably better why don't Fostex produce variants of T50RPs?

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #2,605 of 21,761
Quote:
But if there is a real potential to make them sound considerably better why don't Fostex produce variants of T50RPs?

A lot of the mods and tunings are not challenging either technically or in terms of manual skill, but they tend to be time-consuming and trial-and-error. Appealing to many hobbyists, since they can lavish as much time as they feel like on it with little or no additional cash outlay. In mass production, additional labor is expensive, even if you're consigning the work to lowest-common-denominator labor -- which you probably aren't, since you need workers who can be trusted with making qualitative judgements.

Fostex probably sees it more profitable to sell more of exactly the same things they make now, and allow the modder community to continue stimulating sales of those things, with no added effort on Fostex' part.

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #2,607 of 21,761
Did I hear voyeurism?

Tyll must've heard it too:

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #2,608 of 21,761
Quote:

Call me a cynic, but I always wonder if they are basically letting the community do R&D for them for free. One day they will step in and gather up all the best ideas into a production model, which will both have the implicit blessing of the community ('they finally listened to us!'), marketing and cred already established, etc. This is of course weighed against the slim chance that the engineers are prideful and obstinate.

---------------------------------------

Also, in reference to the previous posts about the LCD-2: this is really, really not the thread where people sit around arguing which headphones are better, not in the least because its absurd to get into heated discussions about which subjective experience is objectively superior. While it can be engaging to participate in these kinds of fruitless sparring matches, this is not the place. One of the best aspects of a thread like this is the attempt to avoid the kind of toxic one-upmanship that goes on in the larger community and just sit around, and like, talk about what we like, and like be friendly and chill and stuff.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #2,609 of 21,761
Call me a cynic, but I always wonder if they are basically letting the community do R&D for them for free. One day they will step in and gather up all the best ideas into a production model, which will both have the implicit blessing of the community ('they finally listened to us!'), marketing and cred already established, etc. This is of course weighed against the slim chance that the engineers are prideful and obstinate.

That certainly worked for Linksys when they came out with the WRT54GL (and the subsequent models) of wireless routers that were made to be flashed with DD-WRT, Tomato and the other opensource firmware. The idea of a product *made* for the community projects was a big hit.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #2,610 of 21,761
Some interesting discussion going on tonight.

I have a huge problem with people going out of their way to justify their purchases on here because in my view nobody should have to justify anything to anybody to begin with? What I'm saying is I just don't get it and I'm not trying to oversimplify or play dumb with my statement. The very honest truth is I really don't get why anyone would have to justify anything to anyone. You like something you like it end of story. Why anyone would go out of their way to collect data written by Joe Blow in Kookamunga only to quote it as if it were the word of God or to use as a weapon to beat down the alternate view is beyond my comprehension. It especially becomes puzzling to me when it involves trying to justify your purchase to a hoard of faceless strangers on the net who you'll probably never meet. It's not just head-fi it's tech sites, it's car sites and on and on and on. Sorry I don't connect my character as a person to a silly plastic handheld or a chunk of wood on a headphone. Why people choose to treat their material possessions as an extension of themselves is beyond me.

@ Magik Man

You have a serious love affair going on with the Koss ESP950 don't you?
L3000.gif

Oh by the way, I finally got through my laziness and a few days ago posted up my gear for sale. If interested PM me.

A pic of that little mini meet I was at this past weekend

(click to enlarge)

On the left: speaker tap, Nuforce Icon2 amp, Nuforce power supply and usb converter, feeding the DAC-100 and Bifrost simultaneously
centre stack: Nuforce DAC-100 (top), HAP-100 (bottom), HE-6 (on top), AKG Sextett MP (in front)
right stack: Schiit Bifrost (bottom), Lyr (top)
right: Bottlehead Crack + Speedball, LCD2 (in front)

There's enough bones on that table to buy a nice used car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back