The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jul 25, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #16,276 of 21,761
Ok, well... it seems like "best" invokes some negative feelings in this part of the woods, I like the word best, who doesn't want to invest in the best?  What if I change my question to "favourite" then?

The FitEar Parterre looks nice.  Favourite?

<3

The issue is, there is no "best" overall, there's only "best" in certain areas. In headphones/earphones it becomes even more complicated, because everyone has different sound preferences.

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #16,277 of 21,761
Which will be overtaken by this 
trueno.jpg

biggrin.gif

No. But that 780hp Evo IX is another matter, it's insanely fast and handles very well, even if the suspension breaks your back. The problem is everytime I take it out and give it a really good thrashing it has to be serviced, it eats differentials for breakfast, and the head has to be rebuilt every 8-10k miles. After 60k miles you would have been better off buying a GT-R and tuning it.

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #16,278 of 21,761
Quote:
Ok, well... it seems like "best" invokes some negative feelings in this part of the woods, I like the word best, who doesn't want to invest in the best?  What if I change my question to "favourite" then?

The FitEar Parterre looks nice.  Favourite?

<3

The Parterre is a really fun IEM, probably FitEar's least monitor-like universal with more emphasis at either end of the sound spectrum. It also boasts a more theatric type of presentation, larger and more like a concert hall. This makes it rather unique compared to a lot of other FitEars, as typically they go for less treble emphasis and much closer, more intimate types of presentation. Two problems arise because of this however: the Parterre is more fatiguing than just about any other FitEar I've heard (including the F111), and---maybe it's a result of the presentation---the mids seem a little underrepresented and underwhelming.

Folks know I'm not one to really talk about "value" or whether something is "worth" the asking price typically, but in this case I'd personally feel more comfortable recommending the 1Plus2, TG! 334, or JH13Pro at this price point. If the Parterre were, say, $700 I'd feel a lot better about it. Not that I don't really like it. I've been listening to it a bunch these last few weeks, and it's a lot of fun. The build quality is also crazy nice. Far and away nicer than something like the JH13Pro for instance.

Sometimes I like to just sit there, turning it over in my hand whilst quoting Gollum from LotR.

I should say something about the Flat4 KURO at some point too I suppose.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #16,279 of 21,761
Regarding the camera talk:

1. The RX100II looks fantastic point and shoot BUT
2. The Ricoh GR looks zomg amazing and a real photographers tool, especially for random snapshots and street photography.
3. Nice on the RX1R! I wish I had one.
4. The NEX-3N with the 16-50mm kit lens or the 20mm pancake will be best of both worlds since it's tiny, will have better image quality than the RX100II and it'll behave like a P&S unless you don't want it to.

Or: wait to see what the Sony Honami will be like?
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-honami-i1-pictures/

Sony obviously has some crazy stuff cooking as well: Sony self contained lens with battery/ shutter that communicates with smartphone via NFC.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-more-info-about-the-bodyless-lens-camera-and-a-good-nex-ff-news/

Thanks for making me interested in MILC again, a_rec! /sarcasm

I don't know, with a good fast pancake lens, it will be better for me because physics, but I'm just not sure if it's worth it to get into a system just on the notion of "what if someday I want to buy a new lens". I always liked to be "prepared" but there will always a point where it's not worth it.

Well as exciting the Honami is looking, physics would still limit it I assume. Nokia's efforts into cameraphones have been, for the most part, not slim because of the larger-than-usual sensors used in them. And as a result, usually are slightly above par than most. But as evidenced, most consumers doesn't care for better image quality than what the iPhone can offer (which is still has a good camera on a phone I'll admit that).

Waiting is an option, but I want something to use in this month or so.

Actually I was wondering if I could pick your brains guys.

I recently got a used pair of the DT880 320ohm and despite everyone telling me I wouldn't like them, I quite like them. They are comfortable, sound like a laser beam and have a single sided cable which I love. Sure the treble is a little fatiguing for some tracks and over longer periods but thats what the MA900 is for etc.

I in fact like it enough to be curious about the T90, which I was sniffing around about earlier when I saw a used pair go on sale in Aus. for 450 a few months back. Can any of you comment on how similar the T90 might sound to the DT880? :3

320 ohm? Could be that it's 32 ohm? I'll assume from now on on that basis. I've had a chance with one of the old beyer (the 32ohm DT880) and one of the new ones (the T1). I'm can't say for sure how similar the T90 is to the T1, both uses similar Tesla tech. IME, I liked the DT880 more than the T1, mainly because the former is more well rounded and balanced while the latter is too treble-tilted and lacking bass, relatively. Maybe it's because of the amp on the T1 not performing for it, but that puts me off most of the newer Beyers almost completely.

:wink_face:  Someone here knows me well! Actually, I'm moving back to Los Angeles after a long sabbatical. And I am driving. S-l-o-w. Normally would arrive in 5.5 hours. But this drive will take 5.5 days, deliberately so - I want to reflect and seek solitude before the dizzying array of choices that await of simply what to do first 
tongue_smile.gif

when I get there.
All Hell breakin' loose in The City of Angels? Who knew?! 
rolleyes.gif

Further, Monday evening I made a mad bid to buy a very special amp. And the dealer hasn't leaned one way or another with an indication. 
blink.gif

Do I need to sweeten the price by sending the "Ask" but a little extra to his Mom... what 
confused.gif

I just would like a sign or trace. And a good night's sleep!

I wish I have the patience for solitude-seeking journeys. It's just that I'd be too restless for that. Maybe in my downtime at Malaysia while I am waiting for my applications to be accepted, I'll tour the whole country for once.

Which will be overtaken by this 
trueno.jpg

biggrin.gif

And even then it will depend on the driver: whether he have been driving/racing with soft tofu or not.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #16,280 of 21,761
You forgot to include pics of the two bloodthirsty dobermans and the canisters of nerve gas.

Is that you, Higgins?

Etymotic.

Gotcha.

The Parterre is a really fun IEM, probably FitEar's least monitor-like universal with more emphasis at either end of the sound spectrum. It also boasts a more theatric type of presentation, larger and more like a concert hall. This makes it rather unique compared to a lot of other FitEars, as typically they go for less treble emphasis and much closer, more intimate types of presentation. Two problems arise because of this however: the Parterre is more fatiguing than just about any other FitEar I've heard (including the F111), and---maybe it's a result of the presentation---the mids seem a little underrepresented and underwhelming.

Folks know I'm not one to really talk about "value" or whether something is "worth" the asking price typically, but in this case I'd personally feel more comfortable recommending the 1Plus2, TG! 334, or JH13Pro at this price point. If the Parterre were, say, $700 I'd feel a lot better about it. Not that I don't really like it. I've been listening to it a bunch these last few weeks, and it's a lot of fun. The build quality is also crazy nice. Far and away nicer than something like the JH13Pro for instance.

Sometimes I like to just sit there, turning it over in my hand whilst quoting Gollum from LotR.

[COLOR=D3D3D3]I should say something about the Flat4 KURO at some point too I suppose.[/COLOR]

Oddly I'm now undecided if that makes me more or less interested in it. I like a concert hall like sound but I also like my mids. =/

And I agree with your supposition. :D
Good to see you back btw!

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #16,281 of 21,761
Quote:
No. But that 780hp Evo IX is another matter, it's insanely fast and handles very well, even if the suspension breaks your back. The problem is everytime I take it out and give it a really good thrashing it has to be serviced, it eats differentials for breakfast, and the head has to be rebuilt every 8-10k miles. After 60k miles you would have been better off buying a GT-R and tuning it.

You haven't seen the anime Initial D yet right? 
wink.gif
 Watch it and you will understand 
beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #16,283 of 21,761
Quote:
Actually I was wondering if I could pick your brains guys.

I recently got a used pair of the DT880 320ohm and despite everyone telling me I wouldn't like them, I quite like them. They are comfortable, sound like a laser beam and have a single sided cable which I love. Sure the treble is a little fatiguing for some tracks and over longer periods but thats what the MA900 is for etc.

I in fact like it enough to be curious about the T90, which I was sniffing around about earlier when I saw a used pair go on sale in Aus. for 450 a few months back. Can any of you comment on how similar the T90 might sound to the DT880? :3

I find that brighter headphones gear take(s) a while to get used to, then they sound normal once your brain adjusts.
Quote:
Oh, here's what I've been up to:

I also have window alarms that sound of at 120 db when triggered. I feel safer already.

Looks like you are set.  

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #16,285 of 21,761
Quote:
Thanks for making me interested in MILC again, a_rec! /sarcasm

I don't know, with a good fast pancake lens, it will be better for me because physics, but I'm just not sure if it's worth it to get into a system just on the notion of "what if someday I want to buy a new lens". I always liked to be "prepared" but there will always a point where it's not worth it.
Waiting is an option, but I want something to use in this month or so.

Haha. Well the thing is, the 3N with 16-50 kit lens is CHEAPER than the RX100 and yet is better performing and going to be more flexible. I suppose you lose the absolute pocketability of the RX100 but honestly that is what a camera phone is for. The 3N can sit in your bag and you are going to be paying less for a system that you can continue upgrading merrily in the future (sell the body, keep the lens, etc). That's how I'd think of it anyway.

Quote:
320 ohm? Could be that it's 32 ohm? I'll assume from now on on that basis.

Oops, my mistake. I meant 250 ohm,

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #16,286 of 21,761
My last girlfriend was a professional photographer. She had a thing for Nikons, so I tend to associate the two now irrevocably.

I know very little about the world of high-end cameras nowadays, but I'm really drawn to Sony's NEX line for some reason. Lach's video overview kind of helped to reinforce that.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #16,287 of 21,761
Once upon a time, I had a goal of replacing every lens in my bag with a Canon "L" lens. 15 years later, and I still don't have even *one* L-lens. What's even worse is that it has been 5 or 6 years since I have even used my once-beloved Digital Rebel. :xf_eek:

You may delay, but time will not, and lost time is never found again.
- Benjamin Franklin

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #16,289 of 21,761
Quote:
Sigh Sennheiser Amperior on sale..... but Im banned from getting any other audio equipment till the end of the year.......

What do you currently have, and what kind of audio equipment do you want, in your wildest dreams?

Quote:

Thanks for the Parterre review there.

Underlined points that I find interesting, when you say "concert hall" you mean in IEM terms like the wideness in the Sony EX stuff, or beyond that wideness?  I hated the "Denon sound" and prefer deadly neutral or extra 50Hz bass and 10kHz spikes, to me that is "home cinema" sound, which I don't find tiring at all.

Any thoughts on how it compares to the PFE232?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back