The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Aug 15, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #1,201 of 2,115
Just got back home after a work trip and getting caught up on this thread.

I had a problem with transformer hum on the MKIII and sent it in.  Steve fixed it.  No transformer hum now.  I asked DeVon about it and she mentioned a loose wire inside the Taboo.  Still have the low hum from the use of new lucid mode.  It is not volume dependent which is nice because at normal listening levels it can't be heard.  Mainly heard during low level passages.   Old lucid mode is near black in background so I'm sure it isn't the tubes but rather something else going on.  I don't own any high impedance or balanced headphones to know whether this hum is less present in other operations. 

On a separate note, thinking of picking up a used Bottlehead Foreplay III preamp.  Anybody every try them?  I know they are considered very good.  An opportunity to try what a preamp can do in line with the MKIII.  

Quote:
Regarding the hum, I put my ear to the transformer last night (with no music playing) and it's definitely humming loudly. @ Those of you who aren't getting any hum, does yours do the same?

Also, mine came with the Valve Art 274B rectifier - which isn't the one mentioned on the product pages. Did everyone else get this rectifier too?

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #1,202 of 2,115
Quote:
I had a problem with transformer hum on the MKIII and sent it in.  Steve fixed it.  No transformer hum now.  I asked DeVon about it and she mentioned a loose wire inside the Taboo. 

Ouch, if that's the case I'd be tempted to open it up and root around in there myself.  Well I'd be tempted but would never do it as I'm technically illiterate.  I would hate to have to ship it back to the US just for a loose wire. I guess these are the risks you have to accept when you order this kind of boutique stuff from overseas.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #1,203 of 2,115
There could also be multiple different ways to get the same transformer hum problem so I would not recommend diagnosing the problem unless you are already technically proficient.  My situation could be different than yours and I never got to speak to Steve.  I may have been given the quick explanation but there could be more to the story.  In the end, quite a hassle to ship back to the US but well worth it long term if you were planning on keeping the Taboo for years to come.  

Quote:

Ouch, if that's the case I'd be tempted to open it up and root around in there myself.  Well I'd be tempted but would never do it as I'm technically illiterate.  I would hate to have to ship it back to the US just for a loose wire. I guess these are the risks you have to accept when you order this kind of boutique stuff from overseas.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #1,204 of 2,115
Yep, I'll grudgingly ship it back if I need to.  Listening last night I didn't find the hum all obnoxious.  When music is playing it's certainly not an audible annoyance.  But I know it's there and notice it between songs and in quiet parts.  It's a stark contrast to the inky blackness of my V200, and I don't think I could ever entirely make peace with it.

I've now also sent an email to Decware.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,205 of 2,115
Yep, I'll grudgingly ship it back if I need to.  Listening last night I didn't find the hum all obnoxious.  When music is playing it's certainly not an audible annoyance.  But I know it's there and notice it between songs and in quiet parts.  It's a stark contrast to the inky blackness of my V200, and I don't think I could ever entirely make peace with it.

I've now also sent an email to Decware.

I'm going to order one of these today, it is specifically designed to remove DC offset from power which can cause "transformer hum". Also without limiting current and therefore dynamics. It's something to try in case dirty power is the culprit. I have a couple power cables from them and they are pretty good quality stuff and reasonably priced. In the meantime, I'll still contact Decware to see what they say.

Kendoji, is your unit 240v? They only have this in 120v version. maybe you can find something similar if this ends up working.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/accessories/products/cmx2

On another, more positive note, I had several hours of listening last night with a new Genelex 6922 in the front position. Very nice. Also a pair of their EL84's in there. Of course they aren't broken in yet but the 6922 seems very balanced. The EL84 seem a bit analytical. My other old Amperex Holland EL84 are more round and full sounding. The stock output tubes seem somewhere in the middle.

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,206 of 2,115
That looks interesting, will be very curious to hear if it helps. Indeed mine is 240v, but I imagine there might be something similar available over here. Let us know how it goes!

In the meantime I'm still enjoying the burn-in and am looking forward to my first tubes arriving. I sometimes get the feeling that the sound is a bit odd, in a way I can't quite describe, but that's probably either my brain or the Taboo burning in.

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #1,207 of 2,115
I had the opportunity yesterday to talk to both DeVon and Steve for a bit. Both about my questions regarding the CSP3 and also the hum issue I am having.

They were both very helpful and put my mind at ease about the hum problem. I have decided to wait until the power conditioner I linked above arrives to rule out the last possible variable, which may be dirty power. If that fixes it, good. If it does not fix it, this is where Decware's great service comes in - Even though my unit was bought used, if I need to send it in for a repair, they will just charge me for the warranty transfer service and fix whatever the problem is, all-inclusive. DeVon also said the turn around on repair, etc is about a week or week and a half so not too bad. 

I was having unease thinking I would have to pay some large repair bill in the event that I had to send it in, so worst case is I'm out $100 plus shipping, then I've got a lifetime warranty. No worries. I'll report back after the power conditioner/DC blocker gizmo arrives. 

I'll be ordering up a CSP3 as well, so pretty excited about that. 

And Kendoji - Steve told me one other thing to check would be the bolts on the transformer. Get a good screwdriver and make sure they are snug. He said it is possible that those loosen up a bit after build/shipping and could cause the transformer to vibrate. So something to check. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,208 of 2,115
Quote:

Anything in particular you've learnt that facilitated your decision to order the CSP3? :)

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #1,209 of 2,115
Quote:
I had the opportunity yesterday to talk to both DeVon and Steve for a bit. Both about my questions regarding the CSP3 and also the hum issue I am having.

They were both very helpful and put my mind at ease about the hum problem. I have decided to wait until the power conditioner I linked above arrives to rule out the last possible variable, which may be dirty power. If that fixes it, good. If it does not fix it, this is where Decware's great service comes in - Even though my unit was bought used, if I need to send it in for a repair, they will just charge me for the warranty transfer service and fix whatever the problem is, all-inclusive. DeVon also said the turn around on repair, etc is about a week or week and a half so not too bad. 

I was having unease thinking I would have to pay some large repair bill in the event that I had to send it in, so worst case is I'm out $100 plus shipping, then I've got a lifetime warranty. No worries. I'll report back after the power conditioner/DC blocker gizmo arrives. 

And Kendoji - Steve told me one other thing to check would be the bolts on the transformer. Get a good screwdriver and make sure they are snug. He said it is possible that those loosen up a bit after build/shipping and could cause the transformer to vibrate. So something to check. 

Let us know how the filter goes.

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #1,210 of 2,115
Another good example of why Decware is so good. The product and the service are top notch!

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #1,211 of 2,115
I'll check the screwdriver thing!

Despite the hum issues, I'm having tons of fun with this amp. Yesterday I received my Forza Audioworks Noir balanced cable for my HD 800. Forza is another great option for those who don't their cables to cost more than their headphones (or take six months to arrive). Anyway, this was the first time I could listen to the Taboo with old lucid mode off. It was an immediate revelation. Previously with the HD 800 I had a niggling feeling that my V200 had been a better match. But it immediately became clear to me that old lucid mode had been elevating certain frequencies that made the Senns, to my ears, sound a bit harsh and artificial on some recordings. With both lucid modes off, suddenly it all made a lot more sense.

I'm also starting to dabble in vinyl for the first time, with a newly bought budget Pro-Ject turntable. At the moment I'm using a very cheap preamp, but hopefully one day I'll order the Decware one. In the meantime, I've found that the Senns aren't a good match at all, as they make the crackles far too sharp and prominent for me. Today, for fun, I dug out my Grado RS1is. I've always had a kind of hate-hate relationship with them, feeling that they're bright, harsh and bass-less. But weirdly they sound fantastic on the Taboo with my cheap phono setup. There's plenty of bass, and the whole presentation when listening to a new pressing of Affinity's s/t from 1970 is great. It's the most I've ever enjoyed the Grados.

Lots of fun to be had here. :)

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #1,212 of 2,115
Here's a gratuitous photo of my new cable.  :)

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #1,213 of 2,115
Aug 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #1,214 of 2,115
Aug 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #1,215 of 2,115

Users who are viewing this thread

Back