The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Feb 18, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #1,921 of 2,115
Enjoy the Taboo! it is a wonderful amp with the LCD's.

beerchug.gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #1,922 of 2,115
  Enjoy the Taboo! it is a wonderful amp with the LCD's.

beerchug.gif

Thanks! 
biggrin.gif
 I most certainly will!

Hehehe always nice when people say that the LCD-X doesn't need an amp because it's only 20 Ohms and that it will sound good on just about anything. Well yeah, it sure does, but there still is a HUGE difference between the sound of amps that you plug it in!

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #1,923 of 2,115
  Thanks! 
biggrin.gif
 I most certainly will!

Hehehe always nice when people say that the LCD-X doesn't need an amp because it's only 20 Ohms and that it will sound good on just about anything. Well yeah, it sure does, but there still is a HUGE difference between the sound of amps that you plug it in!

Yeah - the Decware was made for those low ohm planars - it's the total package.  So good!  I've been tempted to jump on one of those pre-amp or gain stages on Decware's site just to see if it actually makes the amp even more of a beast.  Is anyone using a pre-amp between their dac and the Taboo?  Any difference for the +++?

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 18, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,924 of 2,115

Yeah - the Decware was made for those low ohm planars - it's the total package.  So good!  I've been tempted to jump on one of those pre-amp or gain stages on Decware's site just to see if it actually makes the amp even more of a beast.  Is anyone using a pre-amp between their dac and the Taboo?  Any difference for the +++?

I understand that the CSP3 most certainly makes a great difference (especially with analog sources), but if you have digital sources only, a Zbit apparently is an even better choice.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #1,925 of 2,115

Thanks! 
biggrin.gif
 I most certainly will!

I had the CSP2+ as a Pre-Amp and the Taboo MK III along with a DacMagic Plus. it was better than the Taboo or the CSP2+ alone. However, each way I tried it had its own reward!

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #1,926 of 2,115
  Thanks! 
biggrin.gif
 I most certainly will!

You need to use a balanced cable when lucid is off otherwise you have a type of channel imbalance.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #1,928 of 2,115
Which DAC would be nice with a Taboo + LCD-X combo?
Right now I have a Parasound Zdac, but I was told a different dac might improve the sound very much.

I have been advised:
- Theta Pro Gen V-A with a USB to coax converter
- Audio GD Master 7 (+ bridge)
- PS Audio Perfect Wave MK II (+ bridge) (Not R2R though)
- Perhaps wait to see what the Schiit Yggdrasil will be like

I also have been thinking about one from Decware, but that one is in 115 volt and I don't feel like buying a 230 volt to 115 volt converter + another audiophile cable, or a converter plug so I can use my own power cord.

The Taboo works best with > 3 volt unbalanced input. Some of these dacs do have that, others don't. However, some already have great dynamics, so I'm not even sure if I'd need that voltage.

Suggestions? 
o2smile.gif

At the moment I am leaning towards the Audio GD Master 7since I have read a shootout between this one and the PS Audio Wave MK II and it was said that the Audio GD was just a bit more enjoyable, even though they come very close.

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,930 of 2,115
  I use a Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2. You can set the output at line level, or variable and use it to control the volume. It even has a remote.

+1 for W4S DAC2.  I have the DSD version and it works very well with the three 3's (Taboo MKIII, CSP3+, and LCD-3).  It could be prettier but it works.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #1,931 of 2,115
BMC PureDAC works very well with Taboo II and LCD 2r1 and 3F. Terrific low-level detail retrieval - the subtle stuff - which is very evident in the bass and lower mids. You can hear very well the ambience of the venue and how the instruments/musicians interact with it. I find it easy to forget the DAC and immerse myself in the music, something I've only found equally possible with the Meier StageDAC (of the others I know, all < $1000).

However I don't know whether it competes in the area of Master 7, PWD II etc.

FWIW, like others I look forward to Yggy. I think LCDs can take every bit of microdynamics and detail you throw at them, even if it's pretty analytical (especially when you can 'tune' with your tube amp). From what purrin, zerodeefex, MisterRogers and others have heard, it does seem worth waiting for a couple of months of impressions of it post-release. There should be a fair consensus (albeit with the usual honeymoon/hype period to filter out :wink:) by late May...

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #1,932 of 2,115
  I use a Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2. You can set the output at line level, or variable and use it to control the volume. It even has a remote.

+2 on the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 with the Taboo. Beautiful combination. I have the DSDse version and it has been a great fit with many amps and headphones.

I never heard the PureDAC with the Taboo, but it is a terrific DAC as well.

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #1,934 of 2,115
  Which DAC would be nice with a Taboo + LCD-X combo?
Right now I have a Parasound Zdac, but I was told a different dac might improve the sound very much.

I have been advised:
- Theta Pro Gen V-A with a USB to coax converter
- Audio GD Master 7 (+ bridge)
- PS Audio Perfect Wave MK II (+ bridge) (Not R2R though)
- Perhaps wait to see what the Schiit Yggdrasil will be like

I also have been thinking about one from Decware, but that one is in 115 volt and I don't feel like buying a 230 volt to 115 volt converter + another audiophile cable, or a converter plug so I can use my own power cord.

The Taboo works best with > 3 volt unbalanced input. Some of these dacs do have that, others don't. However, some already have great dynamics, so I'm not even sure if I'd need that voltage.

Suggestions? 
o2smile.gif

At the moment I am leaning towards the Audio GD Master 7since I have read a shootout between this one and the PS Audio Wave MK II and it was said that the Audio GD was just a bit more enjoyable, even though they come very close.

If you want a DAC that is similar to the first two on your list, I would wait for the Schiit Yggdrasil. It is supposed to be more like an R2R DAC, the Theta is outstanding (I have one) but is 20 yrs. old and cannot play higher res files. The Schiit will be out soon, hopefully in the next few months.

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #1,935 of 2,115
  If you want a DAC that is similar to the first two on your list, I would wait for the Schiit Yggdrasil. It is supposed to be more like an R2R DAC, the Theta is outstanding (I have one) but is 20 yrs. old and cannot play higher res files. The Schiit will be out soon, hopefully in the next few months.

Thanks! Hearing that from a Theta owner is very helpful! 
Well I actually already was thinking about waiting for the Yggy since it's said that it's supposed to be released at the end of the month,
If the price is reasonable, I will buy that one, but if it is more than I expect and if prices of the Theta crash because of the introduction of the Yggy, I'll buy a Theta instead. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back