The decline of pizza unfamiliarity
Jul 17, 2016 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Back in the old days like in the 1930s, most people in the world had no idea what pizza was. In some of the Italian communities in America, pizza was found but I've heard that non Italians thought it was a strange food and I imagine many of them probably refused to eat this new weird food.

Later in the 1960s, Pizza Hut and Dominos Pizza began to expand their business. After a few more decades, it came to the point that pizza was known all over America. In recent decades, just about every American had heard of pizza and even tried it so pizza unfamiliarity declined.

Jul 18, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #2 of 17
Your threads never fail to deliver. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 17
I know there's a theme running, but in this case it's more direct to the point if it's just described as the ascension of pizza. From blue collar workers' convenient lunch to families' and college students' convenient dinners.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 17
We will eventually reach the Singularity of Spareribs where every single post and thread on the Member's Lounge contains only pictures of hills.

Next year in Jerusalem!

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 17
As someone who is three years shy of five years older than 25, I can't personally remember a time when pizza wasn't ubiquitous, at least where I live (south of the thumb, about half an hour northeast of Detroit). In fact, it's this very ubiquity that contributed to my relative indifference to pizza in general. It's always available, in pretty much any quality you desire, from cheap cardboardish chain fare to the gourmet styling of places like Boston's. I could even eat it fairly regularly for dinner at home, where my family's recipe involves heavy use of sauce and cheese--cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan, to be specific.

As a result, I may well be permanently burned out on pizza. I'll eat it if it's in front of me. On rare occasions I'll even order it, usually when Marco's sends me a coupon sheet and a note asking why they haven't heard from me in a while. But it's been a very long time since I can say I thoroughly enjoyed pizza. It sort of just exists for me, inhabiting the same plane as french fries and chocolate ice cream--things I loved when I was younger but which I no longer particularly care for.

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 17
I don't know about you guys but here in Louisiana there is a chain called Johhny's pizza. They make their pizza crust with beer, using the beer to get the crust to rise. I am currently just south of Chicago and Johnny's pizza is still to this day the best pizza I've ever eaten, on the verge of being almost sensual. Every time I eat it I feel like I'm alive again. Johnny's pizza is the only pizza that really understands me. Johnny's is love. Johnny's is life.

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 17
^ I wouldn't mind a slice of that.

I swear I wouldn’t mind doing the plane ride from London to this little pizza shop in Italy just for some slices of their pizza. It is that good. I think the secret is in the quality of the dough, or what they put in it. The thickness, softness, crispness is just right, and the taste - heavenly!
Some of you may have been to a pizza restaurant that serves typical Italian (Naples) pizza, which is very thin and crispy. This one is not the same. I have never tasted pizza like that anywhere else.

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #11 of 17
  Only at Evan's Neighborhood Pizza in Fort Myers, Florida.

You may have just reignited my interest in pizza, if only to someday see what this tastes like. I've had two out of the three main ingredients (haven't come across python anywhere yet) and liked them quite a bit. I've heard python tastes like chicken, so I can't see it being too off-putting. If I'm ever in southern Florida again (it's been over 14 years since I was last there), I don't think I can resist.

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 17
Here's a Domino's surprise pizza! Chicken claw and finger nail! Yuck!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2933244/Man-horrified-inch-long-chicken-claw-Domino-s-pizza.html

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 17
  I think I see mushrooms on those. Eww.

Could just be frog entrails though, in which case, sign me up!

Frog entrails don't bother you, but mushrooms do? I learn something new about you every time you post.

Actually, doesn't the presence of all that cheese bother you as well?

(For those who have no idea what I'm blithering about, this is the typical sort of banter a couple of TMAC-veterans get up to on occasion).

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #15 of 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back