The death of the DAP?
Apr 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #31 of 39
If my college students are any measure of the demand for music players then the industry in general doesn't have to worry. 50% of the time I've needed to talk to a student this semester I've had to tap them on the shoulder to get their attention and take at least one earbud out of an ear. That is up from about 30% last semester. Yes, a few are listening to media on their phones. Many have an iPod Touch in their pocket. 50% or so still carry some form of WiFi-less MP3 player usually an old iPod or a Sansa something. I see the draw of smartphones/Touch devices as email and texting is their second most common distraction, with a little quick web search coming in a distant third. The big screen and ability to view email attachments is a big reason to have a big screen in one's pocket or purse.

So I don't see the consumption of music dying down. That single-function MP3 player died when Apple added video to an iPod several years ago.  

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #32 of 39
While smartphones are definitely a big part of it, I would bet that another significant reason for the decline in dedicated DAP sales is just old-fashioned market saturation [how many people do you know who don't have one?] as well as with the shift away from fragile HDD-based players to relatively durable flash-based ones causing less frequent replacement purchases.

Apr 22, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #33 of 39
Apple (and other companies) are moving away from dedicated DAPs because the money is no longer in the simple sale of music. Over the years, app stores and ebook stores have grown in popularity, hence more of a focus on larger, touch screen devices.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #34 of 39
I don't think so, as long as Apple can still make money off of DAP's they will still exist. 

On the practicality side, if it's on the go, I use my smartphone to listen to music or stream pandora.  But for any longer listening sessions, I need and use a DAP, mainly cause by nightfall I wouldn't have a charge left on my phone.  That plus my phone doesn't sound all that great to be honest.

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #35 of 39
Then someday you should switch to an iPhone 4! Sounds fantastic. I do use the iPod Classic with amp/LOD around the house, and for that, I  believe pure players have value. Not saying they will disappear, but the sales figures say it all. Pure player sales are down.

The problem with device convergence is battery life. It's not uncommon for my iTouch to die at inconvenient times; while inconvenient it's not a big deal. But there is no way I'd lose my cell functionality with it too, and even quicker

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #36 of 39
yeah well all they have to do is remove the dap altogether, or at least the storage mechanism, all i want (and what i am busying myself to build for myself as a long term goal) is a truly high end portable balanced dac with good enough low impedance drive for my customs (and yes that is VERY possible i have found) then the next step is some way to access my music from home via the cloud, no creeping featurism, thats all, just an uplink, ftp would be fine

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #37 of 39

Quote:
The problem with device convergence is battery life. It's not uncommon for my iTouch to die at inconvenient times; while inconvenient it's not a big deal. But there is no way I'd lose my cell functionality with it too, and even quicker

Dont buy a 6G Nano - my ancient Touch has at least 3 times the battery life of the Nano.

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #38 of 39
The DAP is on the way out, but not quite there yet. I keep an old 30GB iPod around because my car's stereo has an interface that's really convenient. When I can get a radio that pulls music off my phone or tablet via Bluetooth, then I might give up on the iPod. Then again, there might already be something like that out there - I haven't looked at the market for awhile.

Still, I like this setup because I can stash the iPod in the armrest and the system charges it.

I also use the iPod when I travel. I'd rather use its battery than my phone's battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back