the death/grind/hardcore thread
Mar 19, 2003 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

eastsidemetalhd

100+ Head-Fier
seeing how Dark Angel's 'Darkest Desires' thread has become the 2-part monster it is today (hahaha), just had the idea to start what will hopefully be a companion thread, but focusing on death metal, grind and hardcore (among other things). sure, there might be some overlap between the bands mentioned, but hey, a little repetition never hurt anyone.

... so step up with your recommendations and reviews, all you sneakers-and-camo-pants-wearing longhairs!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

just to start things off, 5 of my favourite albums:

Entombed "Left Hand Path" - sure, nowadays they're hardly the killing machine they were 12 years ago, but this is them when they were still the ****. the raw buzzsaw sound that every Swedish band wanted at that point. hell, if this was only their 'demo stuff', then i wish they'd never gotten signed.

Disharmonic Orchestra "Expositionsprophlyaxe" - the band photo of these guys is hilarious - they look like a bunch of geeks hahaha. but play the cd and damn, they'll tear you a new *******. fast fast fast. the last couple of tracks kinda blend together (in a good way), so that when you're left gasping for breath when the disc finally stops. i wish the lyrics were in a readable font, though...

Repulsion "Horrified" - this is a classic. you can't go wrong with gore lyrics, a total wall of noise recording, and a drummer who blasts with a single bass drum. and who also happens to be a grave robber. gotta get hold of the 2 cd reissue on Relapse. Repulsion owns your ass!

Destruction "Sentence of Death/Infernal Overkill" - their best cd, in my opinion. the EP and the first full-length on a cd. super treble-ish guitars and riffs that come at you from all sides. and just keep on coming. with a recording that keeps it super harsh (esp. on S.O.D.). they kinda lost me with the inappropriate production on their 2nd album, and their stuff since has been disappointing to say the least. but this one is a keeper.

Monstrosity "Imperial Doom" - early 90s Florida death metal. Cynic's Jason Gobel plays guitar on this one. and a pre-Cannibal Corpse George Fischer is on the mic. a nice thick sound that works well, especially on the last track 'Final Cremation'. not blasting away, but with enough dynamics to keep things interesting.

Mar 19, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 18
Cool idea.
Name some more bands that fit in these catagories. I may like this kind of music. I think all I have is some black metal and thrash type stuff.
What about At The Gates?, Slayer? Crown? Decapitated? Is these the kind of stuff you are talking about?

Mar 20, 2003 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 18
Mr PD: yeah, stuff along those lines. basically, the bands that Immolation (that stinking troll hahaha) listed on his 'death metal' list would be the kind of stuff i'm talking about. feel free to mention speed/thrash bands as well. it can be pretty hard to put a band in a particular genre at times (ie. bands like Dissection - black or thrash?), so what the hell, any band that you think wouldn't fit into the Darkest Desires thread, toss it in here and see how it goes.

TimSchirmer: this is the punk/streetrock Addicts right (one or two 'd's?)? why not? punk rock, hardcore, metalcore, skinhead rock - bring it on
smily_headphones1.gif
do you know if the new album by the Business on Epitaph is any good?

Jon Beilin: ooooh. Anal ****. i feel warm and tingly all over already hahaha.

Mar 20, 2003 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 18
a few must-haves:

Possessed - Seven Churches
Venom - Black Metal

these are two of the albums that started it all..

Napalm Death - From Enslavement to Obliteration - this is the
SGT. PEPPER of death metal.

Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness - raised the bar for medically disgusting lyrics

Grave - Into the Grave - I love the way this one crunches.

Cannibal Corpse - The Bleeding, though any of their other Chris Barnes albums are great, this one takes their music to a whole new level of complexity.

Entombed - Wolverine Blues - ok I really like this one, get over it!
evil_smiley.gif

Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops - this album continues to amaze me every time I listen to it. All that was great about trash and speed metal, death, grindcore and hardcore up to 1994 was summarized by this amazing album. Plus, Dax is just one of the best singers to ever front a metal band. If you like extreme metal of any kind, do yourself a favor and hunt this one down.

-jar

Mar 22, 2003 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Masonjar

Napalm Death - From Enslavement to Obliteration - this is the
SGT. PEPPER of death metal.

now that's a description of FETO i haven't heard before hahaha. haven't heard the album in while, though. i think they're both great, but just outta curiousity, why do you take this one over Scum?

Quote:

Originally posted by Masonjar

Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness - raised the bar for medically disgusting lyrics

****, i got the cd reissue and found out too late that they removed all the pictures of blood and guts; man i'm pissed. heard that there is a band made out of real doctors doing a Carcass-style goregrind; the County Medical Examiners? i don't think their bosses would be too impressed hahaha.

Cannibal Corpse - what do you guys think of Barnes vs. Fischer?

Mar 23, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by eastsidemetalhd
now that's a description of FETO i haven't heard before hahaha. haven't heard the album in while, though. i think they're both great, but just outta curiousity, why do you take this one over Scum?

I like SCUM too, but I enjoy FETO more just because the songs are bit more sophisticated and the production is better. I'll admit that I haven't followed their career too closely after FETO, what I have heard of their more recent stuff sounded like run of the mill death metal.. decent, but not groundbreaking... I do like early Scorn quite a bit too.. VAE SOLIS deserves a mention in this thread, along with Neurosis THROUGH SILVER IN BLOOD, both are just brutal.. speaking of.. how about Brutal Truth? NEED TO CONTROL is a great place to start.. and of course Fudgetunnel.. how could HATE SONGS IN E MINOR not get a mention?
evil_smiley.gif

-jar

Mar 23, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 18
Acid Bath - Pagean Terrorist Tactics
is really cool, but not really death metal.

Cutthroat - Rape Rape Rape
totally kick ass Trash from Japan!

Of course anything by Obituary and Death!

Anal **** eh? Did you hear their cover of Manowar's Gloves of Metal? Too funny! If you like them, then check out Vaginal Jesus, however be warn that they make AC look like angelic boy scouts.

Mar 23, 2003 at 11:38 AM Post #10 of 18
... that's the one with Phil Anselmo on guest vocals right? totally hilarious. Is that one really a Manowar cover? ****, i always thought it was some over-the-top parody. then again, it's power metal hahaha.

(ok, i'll shut up now before the local chapter of the Army of Immortals decide to break into my house and chop me in half with a broadsword or something)

I've heard all these things about how VJ are nazis and ****, but don't know how true the rumours are. now i'm tempted to check them out.

Obituary somehow never really did it for me. they're legendary and all, but they've never been one of my faves. then they put out World Demise and it all went downhill ... and now they play backup for Andrew WK. what a sad state of affairs.

same thing with Brutal Truth. got their "Extreme Conditions..." cd via a trade a few years back, but i dunno, couldn't get into it either. always thought the guitars were mixed too low or something; you can hardly hear anything under all the low end. then again, i should probably give "Need To Control" a spin before i totally write them off.

Cutthroat do indeed rock! the album is all covers, right? I'm not oldschool enough to recognize them all
frown.gif
i guess you gotta cut loose from doing all that freaky **** in Sigh once in a while. and if it's really limited to 500 copies, hell, it might come in handy someday if i need cash for drugs and hookers hahaha.

Mar 23, 2003 at 2:05 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by eastsidemetalhd
I've heard all these things about how VJ are nazis and ****, but don't know how true the rumours are. now i'm tempted to check them out.

Well, I don't know, but the music is extremely offensive however. They are AC's favorite band, so you have been warn. I wouldn't run out and buy one of their CDs unless you was into that sort of thing, then go right ahead, LOL.

Quote:

Obituary somehow never really did it for me. they're legendary and all, but they've never been one of my faves. then they put out World Demise and it all went downhill ... and now they play backup for Andrew WK. what a sad state of affairs.

Oh the shame of it all
redface.gif
, well it's only one former memeber
tongue.gif

Quote:

Cutthroat do indeed rock! the album is all covers, right? I'm not oldschool enough to recognize them all i guess you gotta cut loose from doing all that freaky **** in Sigh once in a while. and if it's really limited to 500 copies, hell, it might come in handy someday if i need cash for drugs and hookers hahaha.

Two songs are originals and the rest are covers.

oh look news :

Quote:

The new CutThroat EP will be out soon, entitled "Show Me Your ***** Please". CutThroat is the side project of Mirai, Shinichi, and Yasuyuki and Youhei from Abigail.

Mar 25, 2003 at 12:38 PM Post #13 of 18
imagine 4 crazy Japanese thrashers going up to a woman and saying "show me your *****, please." - something's not right with this picture
biggrin.gif

while we're on the subject of AC/VJ, any opinions on the Meat****s reissues?

Mar 29, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 18
Opeth is the only death metal band I've hear so far that I like, I'm having a hard time getting enough of these guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back