The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread)
Feb 15, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #9,796 of 9,815
Might be just slightly off topic but here is the Toshiba Canvio 750 GB external hard drive on amazon for $59.99, 40% off. Not headphones or anything but I will most likely get one to store my lossless files on. 

Also on the page are links to to 350 and 500 GB versions, as well as the 1 and 1.5 TB. Not much price difference between the five different capacity models.

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #9,797 of 9,815
Quote:

That's the case with anything, no? Buy a laptop now and maybe in a month it might be cheaper.
You can wait if you want but that's also the risk of the price reverting back up to $200.

I will say that the A900X has consistently been above $250. Don't know about refurbished prices, but regardless for $125 this is a very good deal.

Thank you, man. I jumped on that ! Actually, there is no so-called "universal" price drop in headphones? As you mentioned, the price may revert back up to $200.

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #9,798 of 9,815
Not sure if it's just the pads, a few technical changes as well.

And this from this review:

AD900x vs AD900
The AD900x rectified all my past issues with the AD900. The new pads on these are significantly more plush and thicker. The drivers no longer sit or touch my ears. Also the felt material also improved. They are softer and not as rough as the past. Also the pads have more strength, they keep their puffiness. The AD900 pads would squish easily and the drivers would rest on my ears. Also the AD900x drivers are much more angled than before, which may help with the drivers not touching the ears. The AD900x also retain the AD900 treble and mids and that sweet sweet vocals. But there is immense improvement on the bass. The bass was always lively and tight on the AD900, but the AD900x just provides more of it. But it's still much softer compared to Monster bass headphones. I am very happy I purchased these AD900x. If you have never heard the Audio Technica signature sound or heard open air, I strongly suggest you hear for yourself before purchasing these. The amount of air, detail, fun and crisp sound is night and day compared to any closed headphones. If your experience with headphones are gaming headsets or Monster Beats or Bose, and you like that sound, you may not like the AD900x. But then your mind may also be blown away and fall in love with the magical sound of open air headphones.

AD900x remain a remarkably excellent sounding headphone and I challenge anyone to find a more comfortable pair of headphones. The 3D Wing can barely be felt on your head, but the clamp is just enough so the headphones don't move. The plush pads keep the pressure off your ears and the drivers touching your ears. These are simply the best headphones I've heard in my life so far.

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #9,801 of 9,815
Like I said, it's a cosmetic change. There's more bass because of the thicker earpads. They help because of the better seal around your ears, which equates to less roll off on the lower frequencies and greater sound pressure. The AD900 and the AD900x are angled differently. The AD900 raises the plastic on the rear of the enclosure while making the front thinner, thus making the drivers take position of that slope when you put the headphones on your head. The AD900x's drivers are angled without any slope on the headphone enclosure, which is the reason why the drivers are less prone to touching your ears. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #9,803 of 9,815
Quote:

The AD900 is highly regarded but a bit bass-shy, it has a replacement in Japan, AD900x, which is a great bargain and outstanding headphone for it's price (about $200 with the Tenso shipping service bought from Amazon Japan)

If you don't mind bass-light and are comfortable with an open back headphone (people can hear what you are hearing if played loud enough), then the AD900 is a great price, keeping in mind that  the replacement is even better (Japan only AD900x - but coming soon to the States). 

Do you prefer open-back or close back headphones as people can hear what you are hearing if played loud enough in open air

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #9,804 of 9,815
Quote:
Like I said, it's a cosmetic change. There's more bass because of the thicker earpads. They help because of the better seal around your ears, which equates to less roll off on the lower frequencies and greater sound pressure. The AD900 and the AD900x are angled differently. The AD900 raises the plastic on the rear of the enclosure while making the front thinner, thus making the drivers take position of that slope when you put the headphones on your head. The AD900x's drivers are angled without any slope on the headphone enclosure, which is the reason why the drivers are less prone to touching your ears. 

In spite of the reviewer dis'ing us head-fi members lol, he does make a comparison of the ad900x versus the ad900 (also comparing them against the hd650 and srh840):
http://forum.notebookreview.com/accessories/708449-audio-technica-ath-ad900x-review.html?amp;goto=newpost

I can't really agree or not with his comparisons, because I haven't tried those other headphones. But I couldn't agree more with his positive take on the ad900x's.

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #9,805 of 9,815
Deleted (duplicate post)

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #9,806 of 9,815
The fiio l9 sold by Micca on amazon is $5 with $5 shipping, whereas the amazon sold one is $10 (although it has free-super-saver-ultra-happy-fun-awesome-tasty-shipping). If you're just buying the L9, or your total cart is under$25, go for the Micca one.

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #9,807 of 9,815
Quote:

In spite of the reviewer dis'ing us head-fi members lol, he does make a comparison of the ad900x versus the ad900 (also comparing them against the hd650 and srh840):
http://forum.notebookreview.com/accessories/708449-audio-technica-ath-ad900x-review.html?amp;goto=newpost

I can't really agree or not with his comparisons, because I haven't tried those other headphones. But I couldn't agree more with his positive take on the ad900x's.

Yeah, I read the whole review before replying. My case still stands 
biggrin.gif
 If you read the AD900 vs AD900x first, and the other ones later, you'll see that the change isn't that dramatic. AD900x= more comfortable, bassier AD900s. Once I transplant my AD2000 drivers (coming in within next few days) in my modded AD900s, It's going to be extremely hard for me to buy any other headphones for a while. To think I bought the drivers for $94...hifi products sure are expensive. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #9,808 of 9,815
Quote:

Yeah, I read the whole review before replying. My case still stands 
biggrin.gif
 If you read the AD900 vs AD900x first, and the other ones later, you'll see that the change isn't that dramatic. AD900x= more comfortable, bassier AD900s. Once I transplant my AD2000 drivers (coming in within next few days) in my modded AD900s, It's going to be extremely hard for me to buy any other headphones for a while. To think I bought the drivers for $94...hifi products sure are expensive. 

Jeez, I bet those are going to be awesome. Will be looking for your impressions!

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #9,809 of 9,815
Me too! First, I'll just throw in one driver so I can compare both drivers in the same headphone, and I'll continue from there. 

Anyways, is it me or is this tread taking a long time to load? All of the other threads on Head-Fi load up fine, but this particular one seems to take a while. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back