The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jan 20, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #23,267 of 35,348
Guess it sold out, shows as $599 for me.

Razordog has it for $499 with coupon code razordog100.

https://www.razordogaudio.com/collections/fostex/products/fostex-th-610-premium-closed-back-stereo-headphones

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #23,268 of 35,348
For the price, I'd get the ebony TH-X00s instead. They're the best of the Fostex lot.

(*when they're available)

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #23,269 of 35,348
  Guess it sold out, shows as $599 for me.

I got you, bro. I check that Amazon price daily. Next time it drops, I'll post it again.

EDIT: 30 or hours left on this one for $500:

https://www.headphone.com/products/fostex-th-610-premium-closed-back-headphones

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #23,270 of 35,348
Easier to set up a ccc alert!

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #23,271 of 35,348
For the price, I'd get the ebony TH-X00s instead. They're the best of the Fostex lot.

(*when they're available)

I owned a mahogany TH-X00 and ended up selling it quickly. I found it to be intolerably bright/peaky--but the bass, in particular the sub-bass, was excellent.

It's the only one of the many headphones based on this Fostex platform that I've heard, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt: from the many reviews and comments I've seen, perhaps the best sounding of the Fostex iterations are the E-MU Teak (many who own the EMUT end up ordering the ebony cups to get a little more bass omph, at the cost of a little added brightness). I was extremely interested in purchasing one of these used, but never found one.

3 weeks ago I ordered a headphone that is my personal endgame, the ZMF Omni/Ori. Of course just 1-2 days later, the E-MU Teak appeared on Massdrop (hand slaps forehead). It took enormous self-control not to order those, too.

People who gravitate towards Fostex seem to fall into 2 camp: those who enjoy the world-class bass, and can tolerate (or don't seem at all disturbed by) any treble emphasis; and those who enjoy the world-class bass but are totally turned off by treble emphasis. This dichotomy shows up most strongly with the Fostex TH900.

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #23,272 of 35,348
Personal experience, I tried the TH900 on a Fostex HP-A4, and I was like "Eh, ok, pretty good, a little peaked in the bass and treble," but then I played the same song and headphone, but plugged into their $$$$ V8 prototype tube amp, and WOAH MY GOODNESS! Warm liquid goodness, it was like an entirely different headphone, one of my favorite 2 experiences of RMAF 2015, along with the IEMs at the 64Audio/ADEL booth.

Totally off topic though, thanks for accepting my enthusiasm during a slow week ^_^'`

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #23,273 of 35,348

perhaps the best sounding of the Fostex iterations are the E-MU Teak

That plus removable cables (unlike TH-X00) are why I've been keeping an eye out for the Emu's, but last time they appeared on Massdrop they sold out before I could jump on them. Just seems like a strange business model to me - I've emailed chan at enquiry@emu.com multiple times with no response. I just want to throw some money at them and buy their headphones directly, even at a (small) premium over Massdrop, with the added benefit of probably receiving them sooner. Maybe "exclusivity" is part of their marketing approach?

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #23,274 of 35,348

That plus removable cables (unlike TH-X00) are why I've been keeping an eye out for the Emu's, but last time they appeared on Massdrop they sold out before I could jump on them. Just seems like a strange business model to me - I've emailed chan at enquiry@emu.com multiple times with no response. I just want to throw some money at them and buy their headphones directly, even at a (small) premium over Massdrop, with the added benefit of probably receiving them sooner. Maybe "exclusivity" is part of their marketing approach?

I hear you!

There are 2 layers of weird going on in your story:

-- EM-U, which is well known for "now you see me, now you don't" communications. He sounds like a brilliant man, but my guess is he's a subsidiary-of-1-employee and woefully overburdened, no matter how many units they're selling at any given time

-- and Massdrop itself, which occasionally does these "Dance of the 7 Veils" drops where only a few people actually get to buy anything.

Don't get me wrong--I love Massdrop. I'm typing on a fabulous keyboard just purchased from them, and I got my TH-X00's from them last year. But when they short-count a drop (ie, EM-U Teak; MD Senn 650), all it does is piss off loyal customers.

I have my eye out for EM-U Teak (not the originals, but the ones w/removable cable) on the used market.

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #23,275 of 35,348

my guess is he's a subsidiary-of-1-employee and woefully overburdened, no matter how many units they're selling at any given time

I'd guess you're right, but afaik it (he) is a subsidiary of Creative, a reasonably successful global company. And this has been going on long enough you'd think they'd be, um, creative enough to give Emu the resources needed to meet (or at least approach) customer demand, which is typically what successful companies do. Who knows, could be Fostex just doesn't want to sell Emu too many drivers and have them undercutting their own TH900/610/X00 business. *sigh*

Anyway, sorry for thread derailment, carry on with deals discussion.

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #23,276 of 35,348
Sony MDR-1A (choice of black/red or silver) on sale for 99 pounds at Amazon UK, comes to $144 including shipping to USA

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-1AS-Prestige-Overhead-Headphones/dp/B00N3WWG36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485024817&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+mdr-1as

Black/red are $300 in US, silver not available.

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #23,277 of 35,348
Shanling M5 is currently $381.65 on Amazon Prime Early Access Deal.

https://www.amazon.com/Shanling-Revolutionary-Flagship-Lossless-Portable/dp/B01DF1JSZS

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #23,278 of 35,348
Mee Audio M6 Pro in Smoke color is currently on Amazon for $39.99

https://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Universal-Fit-Noise-Isolating-Detachable/dp/B015S2I6A0/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back