The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Nov 28, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #18,976 of 35,347
Hello,

I don't mean to derail this, but it indirectly pertains to a deal I found here (the Fostex TH-X00) I decided to get in on.

I am a newbie for sure, and all my music is streamed almost exclusively off Spotify at max quality. All I have as far as DAC/AMP is an E7/E9 for home and a GeekOut 1000 for my work laptop. I use the HD650 ( as well as X1 and Q701 that have been largely shelved) at home which I think sounds pretty awesome as well as the ATH-A900X for work.

For the Fostex (and even the HD650 for that matter) I have to assume I am not getting the most out of them with my current DAC/AMP, right? If I got a better setup would it even matter if I don't use better quality music?

Lastly, I was looking for suggestions to drive these two headphones, preferably no more than $500 total for DAC/AMP and less if I don't need that much even. I was kind of eyeballing the Grace m9XX also on MD or perhaps some combination of Schiit gear.

Thanks!

R

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #18,977 of 35,347
  Any deals on custom headphone cables?

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/index.php?route=product/category&path=117

Norne audio is offering 15% code "blk15" at checkout on top of any other savings.

I just ordered an Audeze 5 ft Zoetic series cable which was originally $230, discounted to $191.99.  A 16.6% savings.  I got an additional 15% savings to lower cost to $157.04.  This is a very good cable from a very good company at a good price. 
o2smile.gif

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Zoetic-occ-litz-carbon-core-multi-cu-cotton-audeze-ether-sennheiser-prime-he1000

The Zoetic utilizes a pure occ litz stranded copper conductor in a new multicore design, and the first ever headphone cable to utilize multiple carbon-polymer cores.  Each conductor contains a total of seven larger sized cores, one in each of the strand bundles and one center core which the bundles are precisely twisted around.  The Zoetic contains two different core types; a larger carbon-polymer core (3 outer cores / center core) and a proprietary textile core (3 alternated outer cores) for a total of seven cores.  These larger cores allow the strands to be spaced farther apart, while also using materials that eliminate triboelectric issues (triboeletric series matching).  The Zoetic is a one of a kind cable truly maximizing what is possible with occ litz copper.

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #18,978 of 35,347
Hello,

I don't mean to derail this, but it indirectly pertains to a deal I found here (the Fostex TH-X00) I decided to get in on.

I am a newbie for sure, and all my music is streamed almost exclusively off Spotify at max quality. All I have as far as DAC/AMP is an E7/E9 for home and a GeekOut 1000 for my work laptop. I use the HD650 ( as well as X1 and Q701 that have been largely shelved) at home which I think sounds pretty awesome as well as the ATH-A900X for work.

For the Fostex (and even the HD650 for that matter) I have to assume I am not getting the most out of them with my current DAC/AMP, right? If I got a better setup would it even matter if I don't use better quality music?

Lastly, I was looking for suggestions to drive these two headphones, preferably no more than $500 total for DAC/AMP and less if I don't need that much even. I was kind of eyeballing the Grace m9XX also on MD or perhaps some combination of Schiit gear.

Thanks!

R

You sure don't sound like a newbie! :)

Any at rate, this is the wrong thread to post such a question. Please post your question to the Equipment Forums

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #18,979 of 35,347
Hello,

Thanks!

R

You might want to get an amp that outputs lower impedance, but that's it.  Don't spend too much on the source.  Maybe the O2/ODAC or Schiit Modi/Magni stack (no reason to get the uber variants unless you need the extra features they provide).

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #18,980 of 35,347
Amazon.com HD600 package deal

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or what; I haven't posted on Head-Fi much... but after searching I can't find any discussion around this deal:

Amazon.com has a package deal on the HD600's which includes both a pair of the Audio-Technica M30X and a Beyerdynamic DT990 for $399. 

I won't put a link as I don't know what is or isn't permitted anymore, but you can just search "Sennheiser HD600 with Audio-Technica M30X and Beyerdynamic DT990" if you want...

I'm in Canada but I'm thinking even with exchange this might be a great way to try a few headphones out, all for around$100 more than the price of the HD600's alone. In the US it's only roughly $80 more than the HD600's alone.

Seems like a pretty good deal. Any comments?

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #18,985 of 35,347
  Norne Audio.  15% off through 11/30. Code BLK15​

BLK15 stands for Black 2015.  I thought it was 15% off too but it's even better! It's -20% :D .  Microsoft Calculator to the rescue ^^

The Therium already has sale price too. Waiting on Trevor's reply before I jump in.

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #18,986 of 35,347
Amazon Beyerdynamic A20 Headphone Amplifier - Silver
$389
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ECUJHAS

Back ordered, but accepting new orders

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #18,989 of 35,347
9/10 Hifiman HM700 for $139 at Echo Audio - http://echohifi.com/details/9341/HiFiMan_HM700

... still don't get why we don't get streaming on these things.

How does the HM700 stack up against FiiO x3 gen 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #18,990 of 35,347
  I won't put a link as I don't know what is or isn't permitted anymore, but you can just search "Sennheiser HD600 with Audio-Technica M30X and Beyerdynamic DT990" if you want...

Links are actually appreciated just make sure you remove referral. See 1st post in thread
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back