The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 24, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #1,621 of 35,362
Dec 24, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #1,622 of 35,362
Yesterday someone said they got office max's 20% off to work on headphones, can anyone else get it to? Think they fixed it. And can someone give a quick comparison between the sennheiser px360 ($50 right now before 20%) vs the hd428 (full bass mod, yes it's sloppy but i've messed with them to much and am avoiding anything that could mess up the wires again, replaced main cable already)

And mentioned a while ago, any portable amp deals? I mean cheap! E11 ideally or anything above it down to its price or less, or anything below it too

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #1,624 of 35,362

Every once in a while Amazon blows out their T1 "Like New" return stock for $500, so it may be a better idea to wait on that.

Thanks for the heads up.

Have you seen them ever discount the Audeze planar magnetic headphones?

This new planar magnetic headphone may be worth hearing after it is released; but, I am guessing it will be premium priced:  http://www.oppodigital.com/future/PM-1_Planar_Magnetic_Headphones.aspx

Not at Amazon.  TTVJ just had both versions of the 2's discounted a few days ago--but the discounts are always relatively modest (but welcome).

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #1,625 of 35,362
Dec 24, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #1,626 of 35,362

Yes!  (To the first question.) 

I posted this on page 106:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/1575#post_10093181

The deal was legit - no complications.  And I'm blown away by how great they sound.  (I've only heard them at meets, previously.)

Good hunting, and my thanks again to kayza for posting the deal.

Mike

Great!  Let us know how you like them, after you really get a chance to experience them, in the HD800 Appreciation thread as you get time to share.  I read here that some of these HD800s sound different from other HD800s, for some reason.  I guess unlike hamburgers at national fast food chains, where they pretty much taste alike everywhere, sometimes the HD800s sound different.  When someone says that he/she owns two HD800s and one sounds different, they likely do!

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #1,628 of 35,362
One high end product that is readily discounted up to 40% during sale times is the electrostatic Koss ESP950. Normal price is $1000. One post earlier mentioned a price of $699, but you can get it for $599 directly from manufacturer when they have sales. I got a pair for that $599 price this past Cyber Monday. Sign up for their newsletter to get notified of deals. It comes with both an amp and the headphones. To me, the default amp with headphones combo beats anything priced in the $600 range, other than HE-500. I've heard with a better amp, it beats the Lambda series of Stax. According to this recent reddit post on comparing flagship headphones semi-objectively, http://en.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/1texuh/the_state_of_the_flagships_analysis_of_the/ , the ESP950 gets a decent 7/9, and is rated higher than T1 or TH900.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #1,629 of 35,362
Every once in a while Amazon blows out their T1 "Like New" return stock for $500, so it may be a better idea to wait on that.

Wow, killer deal! Are you finding that through Amazon Warehouse?

If so, is the full factory warranty in place (I've been wary as I read that while Amazon may be an Authorized dealer that doesn't mean Amazon Warehouse is).

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #1,630 of 35,362
Answered my own question on the warranty issue by looking on the Amazon website:

Amazon Warehouse Deals
Get deep discounts on open-box, like-new, refurbished, or used products that are in good condition but do not meet Amazon.com's rigorous standards as "new". Prior to offering an item for sale on Amazon Warehouse Deals, we verify its physical and functional condition. All purchases are backed by Amazon's A-to-z Guarantee. If you are unsatisfied with the product for any reason, you can return it in accordance with Amazon's return policy. For further assistance, please contact Amazon customer service.
Please note that used products are not covered by the original manufacturer's warranty.

So unless an item is listed as used the warranty should apply.

I'm still wondering if AW is where the T1s are found for $500 though.

EDIT: Just looked at about 100 or so headphones on AW and they were all listed as "Used". So I guess what I had read was correct, no factory warranty for Amazon Warehouse deals. :frowning2:

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #1,631 of 35,362
Yesterday someone said they got office max's 20% off to work on headphones, can anyone else get it to? Think they fixed it. And can someone give a quick comparison between the sennheiser px360 ($50 right now before 20%) vs the hd428 (full bass mod, yes it's sloppy but i've messed with them to much and am avoiding anything that could mess up the wires again, replaced main cable already)

And mentioned a while ago, any portable amp deals? I mean cheap! E11 ideally or anything above it down to its price or less, or anything below it too

I have not seen any inexpensive portable amp deals.  I do have the PX360s.  I never compared them to the HD428s or HD429s.  I will say that they need no amplification, are good for for MP3 players and cellular telephones (however there are no iPhone/iPod type of controls on its cord), and its cord is very thin.  At $50 or $40, it is a good deal.  It is very lightweight.

OfficeMax has the UE 4000s too for $29.99  http://www.officemax.com/technology/ipod-mp3-players-accessories/headphones/over-the-ear-headphones/product-prod5420131  There are iPhone/iPod type of controls on the UE 4000's cord.  It is not comfortable on my head so I will not use them.

The Sennheiser PX360 is far more comfortable and sounds good for the price.  You might want to bump up to the HD518/HD558 and better yet, the HD598, the best of the three, if they are in your price target.  Do not forget the free loyalty reward programs at merchants, you might as well get that 5% back on purchases when you become eligible to cash out after the required dollars of spending.  Plus they e-mail you coupons!

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #1,633 of 35,362
Answered my own question on the warranty issue by looking on the Amazon website:

Amazon Warehouse Deals
Get deep discounts on open-box, like-new, refurbished, or used products that are in good condition but do not meet Amazon.com's rigorous standards as "new". Prior to offering an item for sale on Amazon Warehouse Deals, we verify its physical and functional condition. All purchases are backed by Amazon's A-to-z Guarantee. If you are unsatisfied with the product for any reason, you can return it in accordance with Amazon's return policy. For further assistance, please contact Amazon customer service.
Please note that used products are not covered by the original manufacturer's warranty.

So unless an item is listed as used the warranty should apply.

I'm still wondering if AW is where the T1s are found for $500 though.

Perhaps you should contact Amazon to make sure that open-box, like-new, refurbished products are not considered to be "USED."  I was just looking at Amazon at the Beyerdynamic T1 Tesla Audiofile Stereo Headphones under the USED tab, and all of them naturally do come up as USED, although those being sold by Amazon Warehouse are listed as Like New, Very Good, and others are described as "Open Box."  So are all of those not covered by the warranty or are they covered?  If you look at one of the used headphones listings there by a third party seller, it does says that it has the year warranty.  Email Amazon to make sure before buying.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #1,634 of 35,362
  No, and there will be no special discounts on Audeze headphones.
It's prohibited to lower the prices on these products in comparison with the MSRP.
And I think it's very good.

False. Audeze LCD-2 (both Bamboo and Rosewood) was recently discounted by 20% by Audeze themselves and other dealers on Black Friday.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #1,635 of 35,362
  One high end product that is readily discounted up to 40% during sale times is the electrostatic Koss ESP950. Normal price is $1000. One post earlier mentioned a price of $699, but you can get it for $599 directly from manufacturer when they have sales. I got a pair for that $599 price this past Cyber Monday. Sign up for their newsletter to get notified of deals. It comes with both an amp and the headphones. To me, the default amp with headphones combo beats anything priced in the $600 range, other than HE-500. I've heard with a better amp, it beats the Lambda series of Stax. According to this recent reddit post on comparing flagship headphones semi-objectively, http://en.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/1texuh/the_state_of_the_flagships_analysis_of_the/ , the ESP950 gets a decent 7/9, and is rated higher than T1 or TH900.

I think there are a lot of issues inherent with that link, and supplied approach to measurements. I wouldn't suggest anyone buys a high end headphone purely off those conclusions, especially as it appears someone ranked headphones without ever listening. Some pretty basic mistakes stand out in the benchmarks used as well. I don't think it's wise to take much of any advice from the headphones subreddit either, unless you're buying and O2/A1/M50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back