The Cure is mixed to play loud...
Feb 24, 2004 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

stuartr

Loyal member of Team Useful Post.
I was reading the liner notes to my copy of Disintegration, and I noticed a funny line. It said: "This album was mixed to be played loud, so turn it
up!" I thought this was somewhat funny. It does sound better loud, but doesn't most rock? What in particular do you think they did in the mixing, or are they just trying to get you to blast the Cure from your vehicles/apartments/ghetto blasters?

Hmmmm.

Feb 24, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
I was reading the liner notes to my copy of Disintegration, and I noticed a funny line. It said: "This album was mixed to be played loud, so turn it
up!" I thought this was somewhat funny. It does sound better loud, but doesn't most rock? What in particular do you think they did in the mixing, or are they just trying to get you to blast the Cure from your vehicles/apartments/ghetto blasters?

Hmmmm.

The mix is so dense, I think the parts come out better when you hear it loud. At a soft volume, a lot of details get obscured. I've always enjoyed the sound of the album, but it's one that I think could benefit from a solid remaster job. I'd like to see it on a DCC Gold cd. What they did with Metallica's MASTER OF PUPPETS is amazing.

-jar

Feb 24, 2004 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 6
Maybe it's a Fletcher-Munson Effect trick.

When you turn up the volume, the perceived bass and treble appears to increase as well.

So Maybe it was mixed with a curve -- low bass and treble -- so when you turn it up, the sound "flattens out" and everyone is happy?

confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Great album, nonetheless. A lot of their liner notes say "Play it loud!"

Feb 24, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 6
This means the recording was compressed. In my experience, compressed recordings sound great at higher volumes but sound dull and lifeless at lower volumes.

I can't put my thumb on it but that's kind of what I think.

Cheers,
Geek

Feb 25, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Masonjar
The mix is so dense, I think the parts come out better when you hear it loud. At a soft volume, a lot of details get obscured. I've always enjoyed the sound of the album, but it's one that I think could benefit from a solid remaster job. I'd like to see it on a DCC Gold cd. What they did with Metallica's MASTER OF PUPPETS is amazing.

-jar

hi masonjar. The Cure are releasing remastered albums from their whole catalog starting this year, four at a time IIRC. "Disintegration" will see a remastered reissue.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
This means the recording was compressed. In my experience, compressed recordings sound great at higher volumes but sound dull and lifeless at lower volumes.

nope, i don't think "Disintegration" is compressed, far from it. it is purposely mixed to sound atmospheric, dense, and thick. it has a full spectrum of sound, with the treble just a bit toned down. also, all the songs possess a hugely superwide soundstage; they are so ambient you'd think the music is coming from all around you.

with "Disintegration," even at low volumes the production doesn't cease to amaze me. "Wish" also has a similar thick, atmospheric production as "Disintegration," but with a more rawkish feel of the whole album. the co-producer, Dave Allen, basically sets this thick, atmospheric trademark production for the Cure from 1984 through 1992.

both live documents "Show" and "Paris" simply says in the liner "play this music loud." they really mean it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back