The Computer Speaker to Buy in 2015?
Aug 11, 2015 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

DJRSP

Head-Fier
I've had my B&W MM1's for 3 years now, and they provide a good balance of sound for the price. However, they are quiet, too quiet for my liking. Its 2015 and I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong place, or that there is a lack of quality computer speakers that strike a good price/sound ratio.

I enjoy a balanced sound without too much overbearing bass, or a colored sound signature, and am now looking to upgrade my set up. 
I own KRK RP5 G2's and RP6 G2's, and was considering replacing the MM1's with one of those. However, even though these have been touted as studio monitors, I find the bass to be a little overbearing, and doesn't reflect the audio being played .

I'm not interested in adding a sound card, etc etc, and would prefer to have a USB connection vs 3.5mm.

Would you suggest the KRK over the mm1's? 

Or am I better off looking into the Focal XS Book, or KEF x300a's, or some other option? 

If I could spend $500 or less, that would be nice (or 0 if you think the KRK's are the right replacement).

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 24
My advice would be to spend less than half your budget on a basic audio interface like the focusrite 2i4, or cheeper, and hook up your KRK's.  Worst case scenario is you dont like the sound and you resell the interface on ebay for a small loss, I doubt you would lose even $50 trying this.  I currently use this exact device to connect my 3rd gen RP6s and my adam A7x to my workstation and could not be happier.  I do most of my mixing/mastering on the adam's, use the KRK's as a comparison, but when it comes to simple listening pleasure I actually prefer the KRK's.

If you really dont like the KRK's then another option would be plenty of other studio monitors in that price range from the likes of ADAM, JBL, Focal, M-Audio, Mackie, EVE audio or Equator.

The problem with NOT using a dedicated external sound card (audio interface) is you may get some noise issues from your pc, and you lose out on connectivity.  Some of the newer audio interfaces are very compact, and allow for independent controls for speakers and headphones meaning no cable swapping, and resale values hold well compared to more hi-fi gear.

You get far more bang for your buck with studio monitors than you do with more "commercial" pc speakers from the likes of creative or logitech.  I cannot say I have heard the Focal XS, so I dont know where they fit in, but Focal do make some lovely high end monitors the bottom end of their pro-audio range would be the ALPHA speakers.

It really depends if you are looking for, I wish you luck on your upgrade journey.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 24
So you're saying monitors are the way to go?
I do have familiarity with monitors. Nothing as robust as Adams, but Yamaha HS8s and Mackies, JBL's etc etc.
I used to have a production rig, and work with musicians where I could hear various monitors.at work. Mostly 6 or 8".

As much as I enjoy the flat response I get from most of them, I like the simplicity of something like an MM1 but with more volume and not as flat. Thats why the idea of a dedicated media speaker was appealing.
I play music through spotify or itunes (not FLAC), so some coloring of the sound is ok.
I don't get sound from my PC now, got it connected through USB, which is what I prefer for a connection.

You think the sound from a sound card connected to KRK's provides a better overall sound balance than something like the MM1s?
If so than I don't think I have to spend any money.
But if anyone has heard the xsbook or any of the KEF speakers and think they are worth every penny for your computer setup, than I would spend the money.

I own these 2 sound cards right now

Native Instruments Kontrol Audio 1

And a Fast Track Pro

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 24
Bump

Can anyone vouch for a sound card connected to studio monitors (KRK RP Series) providing a better overall balanced sound than compared with something like an MM1?
Or is the best value media speaker more along the lines of an XSBook or KEF x300a?

Thanks

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 24
Can anyone vouch for a sound card connected to studio monitors (KRK RP Series) providing a better overall balanced sound than compared with something like an MM1?

I don't think so. Because that kind of evaluation would be very individualistic.

And I'm kind of confused by this thread. You already have the RP5 and RP6, and you want us to tell you if you should swap them out for the MM1? Spend some time with the KRKs where the MM1s are. Give it a week or so to let your brain adjust to their sound. Then set the MM1s up and do some comparisons and see which you like better.

As far as a soundcard or pro-audio interface, it should improve detail resolution and perhaps make bass slightly more tighter/more textured. But I wouldn't expect it to have a big impact on overall frequency response (might or might not). However, if you order from Amazon or Fullfilled by Amazon (not 3rd party vendors who do their own shipping), RMA is easy. Spending $10 or $12 for return shipping would be a reasonable demo fee, IMO, to find out for yourself.

Meanwhile, if by "balanced" you definitely mean neutral (not everyone does--balanced to their ears), you could always get a measurement mic and use REW to help you calibrate an EQ on your computer.

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 24
Both those interfaces can be used as an external sound card, to connect your existing KRK's.  I would expect you to ge perfectly good sound quality without spending a dolar. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 24
Both those interfaces can be used as an external sound card, to connect your existing KRK's.  I would expect you to ge perfectly good sound quality without spending a dolar. 

If you have a good interface to use already, experiment on your own. Come back and tell us what you figure out :)

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 24
Will do.
Perhaps I connect the MM1's and the KRKs. Alternate when I am looking for a little more umph.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #9 of 24
Any thoughts on Polk Hampden and Definitive Technology Incline? Seems to be the best 2.0 speakers below the $400 price range based on reviews despite being a last years model..

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 24
wow the incline looks like a great product for the price.
reviews look good, the bass and sound at least on watching video reviews seems to be louder than the MM1s
Would be great to see these in person somewhere

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 24
wow the incline looks like a great product for the price.
reviews look good, the bass and sound at least on watching video reviews seems to be louder than the MM1s
Would be great to see these in person somewhere

The Incline appears to be discontinued, but there are still stocks going on sale. The Polk Hampden and Inclines are going for around $200 now which makes it more appealing to me now lol.

From what I've read, the Hampden does better with music while Incline with movies. I'm leaning towards the Incline atm.
But if your budget allows, the KEF X300A probably tops them all.

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 24
I haven't tried the Inclines yet, but they are a bipolar design. Bipolars help to create an expanded soundfield by having some drivers aimed off axis. In this case, a driver in the back. So it's going to need a bit or room behind and around them to sound their best--like you see in the pictures on DT's website. But this is why people are probably liking them for movies--bigger than normal soundstage effect if set up properly.

If you can't set the Inclines up well, then the Polks definitely seem the way to go of the two.

You should also look into the JBL LSR305. The are competitive with any studio monitor in the <$500 range, IMO. Measured bass response has been very good down to the mid 40hz range.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #13 of 24
originally i had looked into the JBL LSR305's to upgrade my current setup but after i went to a guitar center and checked out the speakers (in comparison to like m-audio bx5's, krk 5's, jbl lsr305s as mentioned...) i was recommended one other one... Yamaha HS5 ! They sound amazinggggg @_@ its a surprising difference in sound o.O i sat there listenin to michael jackson for quite the while and boy oh boy did i change quick XD HS5's been on my wishlist ever since ! 

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #14 of 24
I personally find yamaha HS series to be very fatiguing and a little lacking in bass response for their size, but everyone's ears are different.  The truth is not everyone is happy with the same speaker's, and as long as you are happy that is all that matters :D

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #15 of 24
wonder if guitar center allows us to play our own music XD 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back