THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Apr 13, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #3,001 of 3,381
Just got to test the composer now. Overall it's a neutral to bright sound for me but overall still relatively balance. Don't see much fault at least without any comparison. Currently running it off my Enleum HPA-23RM and trying both voltage and current mode.

Apr 13, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #3,003 of 3,381
Our review of The Composer is now published. I also have Full Score One included for reference, but I will likely push a full review of that amp out at a later time.

I have had a set of AKG K812 beside me for the last 8 years, but I also included some comparisons to the ZMF Headphones Atrium and the Focal Utopia 2022.

https://headfonics.com/austrian-audio-the-composer-review/

1712999176455.png
I enjoyed reading the review, thank you.
Very high score also 9.3/10 the same like E3 and Diana MR. I am yet to hear them but of everything I've tried I like the Composer's design the best.

Apr 13, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #3,004 of 3,381
I would like to try it with Dave or with a high end dac.
That would be a real test. A truly fine transducer must follow and reveal any improvement of sources. That's also why I regard the Neumann NDH 30 so highly. They surpass everything up to at least €/$ 1500. I haven't tried the Composer though; still not available at the AA dealer in Greece.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #3,006 of 3,381
Heard it today at the headphone shop with my 320 max and PB5. Wasn’t planning on buying a headphone but I loved it so much I had to get one!

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #3,007 of 3,381
Our review of The Composer is now published. I also have Full Score One included for reference, but I will likely push a full review of that amp out at a later time.

I have had a set of AKG K812 beside me for the last 8 years, but I also included some comparisons to the ZMF Headphones Atrium and the Focal Utopia 2022.

https://headfonics.com/austrian-audio-the-composer-review/
Nice review! The PB5 amp with my Ibasso 320 max sounded amazing! Had to buy the composer on the spot lol

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #3,008 of 3,381
My initial impression of Composer was positive. Great sub bass performance, good bass definition without any exaggeration or hump. Neutral mid but lacking smoothness, immediacy and sound density of 800S and to a greater extent Utopia. Upper mid is elevated which is not my thing. Treble is extended and fairly high resolution and does not have the 6khz peaky nature of 800. This is a K501 sound profile elevated to the modern high standards with good amount of sub bass.

I personally still prefer 800S between the two because of the smoother and more full and dense mid and I can always fix the 5-6khz issue with front damping materials.

I also poked at the foam in the Composer and that’s one thiccck boy. 😅

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #3,009 of 3,381
My initial impression of Composer was positive. Great sub bass performance, good bass definition without any exaggeration or hump. Neutral mid but lacking smoothness, immediacy and sound density of 800S and to a greater extent Utopia. Upper mid is elevated which is not my thing. Treble is extended and fairly high resolution and does not have the 6khz peaky nature of 800. This is a K501 sound profile elevated to the modern high standards with good amount of sub bass.

I personally still prefer 800S between the two because of the smoother and more full and dense mid and I can always fix the 5-6khz issue with front damping materials.

Yes I agree with you on the bass. Absolutely loved it! And the bass is the most important to me in a headphone so that’s probably why I liked it so much. Also the crystal clarity and separation sounded amazing to me!

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #3,010 of 3,381
Yes I agree with you on the bass. Absolutely loved it! And the bass is the most important to me in a headphone so that’s probably why I liked it so much. Also the crystal clarity and separation sounded amazing to me!
If you have a tube amp and an analog EQ you can make your Composer sound even better by dialing up the 100-200hz a bit so you get that nice full bass sound and a bit more warmth.

Apr 14, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #3,011 of 3,381
So I don't need a tube amp or an EQ for my Composer 😎

(As I am very caring, I have covered him up a bit,so he doesn't get cold😛, because he has to sleep too🤫)

IMG_0523.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #3,012 of 3,381
If you have a tube amp and an analog EQ you can make your Composer sound even better by dialing up the 100-200hz a bit so you get that nice full bass sound and a bit more warmth.
Yes I liked it straight out of my ibasso but when I added the PB5 nutubes it improved even more! It scales really well! Will try the EQ!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #3,014 of 3,381

Thank you for this mini review.
What about the recessed area between 900 Hz and 2,6 kHz? Since I saw the measurement below, this area is my main concern. How is this recess perceived in music listening? (Comments by everyone who listened to the Composer extensively are welcome.)
1698053528370.png

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 1:35 AM Post #3,015 of 3,381
mid less harmonically rich and less dense and not as smooth as 800S. 3-4k sounded a bit elevated.

Edit: tube fixed some of the issues with mid - at least Manley Absolute helped quite a bit. Quite a toss up between 800S and Composer on that amp. I would fix the 5-6k issue and take 800S but I think others may like Composer better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back