THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Feb 10, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #2,296 of 3,358
I stand corrected. Perhaps composer 2 can get rid of such heavy front damping in favor of back damping and engineered acoustic management system, including different venting strategies to achieve the desired tonal balance.

so AA bought out the AKG assets? nice.
In one of the interviews guys for Austria Audio said that they wanted to buy the machine that makes the driver for the K812 shown above, but Harman wouldn't agree to sell it to them.
Such a machine is an expensive piece of gear, but not that expensive that only companies with billions in revenue can buy or build one. Especially if you don't need to produce a huge range of drivers. As far as I understand, guys at Austria Audio are producing only two types - the one for the Composer and the one for the rest of their headphones (probably with small differences).

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #2,297 of 3,358
Can you tell him that I want a pair of dark woom woom pads.

You know, woom woom is love, woom woom is life!

It's not that easy...ear pads can have a lot of effects...both positive and negative...the most important thing is that the technical superiority of the Composer and the current performance won't suffer too much as a result

NOMAX

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #2,298 of 3,358
In one of the interviews guys for Austria Audio said that they wanted to buy the machine that makes the driver for the K812 shown above, but Harman wouldn't agree to sell it to them.
Such a machine is an expensive piece of gear, but not that expensive that only companies with billions in revenue can buy or build one. Especially if you don't need to produce a huge range of drivers. As far as I understand, guys at Austria Audio are producing only two types - the one for the Composer and the one for the rest of their headphones (probably with small differences).

You mean the stamper...yes they needed it for yourself😎
(Don't worry...they now have a much more efficient one)

NOMAX

PS.what they didn't get was the know-how🤣
What has been stuck in his head since 25 years
https://pro.harman.com/insights/har...light-bernhard-pinter-akg-headphone-engineer/

I said to him after my first test with the composer...i have to take a photo now...he's on it...oh no...it's a complete mess my lab🙈...better we go out

IMG_8173.jpeg

And why I laughed so much (with joy) because I didn't think it would really work so well on my Dap😊

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #2,299 of 3,358
This is off topic, but I'm pretty sure that all Meze drivers are bought and not produced by Meze themselves.

The dynamic drivers most likely a collaboration with a chinese manufacturer. Maybe Meze did the design, but production is outside if Romania.

And the Isodymamic Hybrid Array drivers are produced in Rinaros facilities.

The headphones do get assembled in Baia Mare but none of the drivers are actually produced there.
Yes, this is going a bit offtopic, yet you just spelled out the point I wanted to make: Sennheiser does make their own drivers, Dan I think does as well but might also do just the design, Meze does not. AA does. All of that is rather well known, even when one has not seen the factories.
There's also no shame in outsourcing some part that's exceedingly difficult to produce. One might even produce good headphones by using and modifying readily available drivers -- Dan once modified Fostex drivers.

Constructing and building the driver themselves AA had enough wiggle room to tune the driver as they saw fit. Maybe they'll explain their decisions at some time, maybe they don't want to offer any details.

Anyway, I've used mine almost daily since I purchased them, still very happy. If only they would make a closed back with similar tuning...

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #2,300 of 3,358
Can you tell him that I want a pair of dark woom woom pads.

You know, woom woom is love, woom woom is life!

Then buy the Stellia 😝or Radiance😝 or....or....or..😝
(Fun yes but not too much 👍........you're all bass-damaged 🤪)

NOMAX

PS.or HD820...K872🙈

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #2,301 of 3,358
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #2,304 of 3,358
That's just if you want to make your own cables. I'm pretty sure you can buy the same cable that the Composer came with from AA.
Understood - and I know there are various 'proprietary' connectors out there. The idea of manufacturing one's own connectors just struck me as very 'committed' somehow ...

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #2,308 of 3,358
Thanks to a friendly dealer, I was able to test the Composer at home, but the first positive impression at the dealer was followed by disappointment.

The music is reproduced very competently, what arrives at the ear is excellent, but I miss the distance to the music, the “view” from the front. The direct music reproduction of the Composer stresses me out and prevents emotions. The generous use of crossfeed could perhaps help here, but unfortunately I can't test it.

I can recognize the quality of the Composer, but also that he is not made for me ☹️
I agree.
The only adverse criticism I have of the Composer is the lack of depth in the sound stage.
I use the Goodherz plugin with Audirvana to give some perspective.

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #2,310 of 3,358
I agree.
The only adverse criticism I have of the Composer is the lack of depth in the sound stage.
I use the Goodherz plugin with Audirvana to give some perspective.

There is also the Nutopia, which has a remarkable depth of space 👍

NOMAX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back