THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #2,221 of 3,397
Now I send this question to Austrian.Audio too.

I don't want to destroy my Composer, but we'll find out how to replace this foam and where to get it.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #2,222 of 3,397
Now I send this question to Austrian.Audio too.

I don't want to destroy my Composer, but we'll find out how to replace this foam and where to get it.
Well as a last resort you can always ship the Conposer to AA and let them replace it

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #2,223 of 3,397
Nomax, where are you? They need your help. Can you explain?
If I owned the Composer I will be concerned too.

This was the spare parts kit for the X65
Who knows, maybe there will be something like that for the composer too 😎

IMG_9817.jpeg

NOMAX

PS. Don't worry...I'm always here😉

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #2,224 of 3,397
1707556917865.jpeg

I wish they could have achieved the same sound without this horrible glued piece of foam, such as with a passive filter. Or at least made it part of the earpads so that it can be replaced easily.
I mean for starters it makes the earpads feel more shallow which is not comfortable for people with big ears.
Secondly, sooner or later it will need to be replaced, especially since it can contact some people's ears. For example, Beyerdynamic puts in a new foam disk with a new set of earpads because the old one usuall wears off along with the old pads.

Look at all those classic vintage headphones, such as the AKG K1000, Sony R10 and some others. The deterioration of the foam is one of the main problems with them. And for such headphones as the Composer, you kind of expect for them to work flawlessly for years or even decades, probably also becoming classic some time.

Maybe they will get rid of it in the Composer V2 some day. It would be nice.
I don’t know what’s the problem with glue. It just looks beautiful if you ask me. AA made a very very good glue foam. just a piece of art.

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #2,225 of 3,397
Well as a last resort you can always ship the Conposer to AA and let them replace it
Certainly you can. But only if they have spare parts and/or want to repair it. But usually companies run out of spare parts quite quickly. For example, most of them were not available for the AKG K1000 only 5 years after the end of production.
Not to mention, that many companies go bankrupt and so on. Also, it is annoying to send the headphones to the manufacturer, both in terms of time and money. Especially, for such a trivial thing as replacing some piece of foam because of the design choice that could have been avoided.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #2,226 of 3,397
1707556917865.jpeg

I wish they could have achieved the same sound without this horrible glued piece of foam, such as with a passive filter. Or at least made it part of the earpads so that it can be replaced easily.
I mean for starters it makes the earpads feel more shallow which is not comfortable for people with big ears.
Secondly, sooner or later it will need to be replaced, especially since it can contact some people's ears. For example, Beyerdynamic puts in a new foam disk with a new set of earpads because the old one usuall wears off along with the old pads.

Look at all those classic vintage headphones, such as the AKG K1000, Sony R10 and some others. The deterioration of the foam is one of the main problems with them. And for such headphones as the Composer, you kind of expect for them to work flawlessly for years or even decades, probably also becoming classic some time.

I hope so too. It sure will need replacement at some point down the road, and spare parts won’t be available forever. But of course the same goes for the pads… all foam will eventually break down

Feb 10, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #2,227 of 3,397
I hope so too. It sure will need replacement at some point down the road, and spare parts won’t be available forever. But of course the same goes for the pads… all foam will eventually break down
I have now tried it carefully, the foam seems to have stuck. I don't want to try any more, otherwise I'll damage it.
The white foam is very soft and rather fine-pored.

If I get an answer from Austrian.Audio, I'll let you know.

Feb 10, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #2,228 of 3,397
I don’t know what’s the problem with glue. It just looks beautiful if you ask me. AA made a very very good glue foam. just a piece of art.
Oh it is beautiful like a nice cream cake sandwich until it's beautiful no more with accumulated/stuck dust (gunk?) and any other particles and white foam turning yellow... then what? Some people don't mind and some do.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #2,229 of 3,397
This was the spare parts kit for the X65
Who knows, maybe there will be something like that for the composer too 😎

IMG_9817.jpeg

NOMAX

PS. Don't worry...I'm always here😉

Not every Composer owner reads here.
These notes (spare parts) are still missing on the Austria.Audio homepage.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #2,230 of 3,397
1707556917865.jpeg

lol 😂 Thats some DIY level janky headphone design. Why would you design your driver to require such a thick piece of front damping to achieve the desired tonal response - apparently still too bright even with that thick of front damping.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #2,232 of 3,397
lol 😂 Thats some DIY level janky headphone design. Why would you design your driver to require such a thick piece of front damping to achieve the desired tonal response - apparently still too bright even with that thick of front damping.
I’d rather think they had late stage changes to the sound signature.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #2,233 of 3,397
They blitz modded their own headphones for a early Weihnachtsbaum release.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #2,234 of 3,397

The others with a different signature also had this😎

NOMAX

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #2,235 of 3,397
Well, slapping a thick piece of foam in front of the driver is not how most manufacturers do things. It’s either a lack of skill in designing driver with desired tonal response, too cheap to scrap the bad drivers and reorder drivers with the correct tonal response or they got some OEM Chinese drivers with limited customization of the actual driver response. Regardless thar was a bad design.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back