THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Feb 8, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #2,207 of 3,381
Anyone else own a Fiio FT-3? I think it is a great budget alternative to The Composer. The FT-3 is another headphone that is trying to convey a more natural spatial presentation.

The FT-3 is more intimate and also more bass that is more anchored to the full-range. I feel like The Composer is able to put everything separate and still homogenous, where the FT-3 is mostly homogenous and less transparent.

The only other two headphones that I've head that are alternatives, but not up to todays specs are - Sony SA-5000 and Sony MDR-MA900. Also worth trying out if you never have.

Feb 8, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #2,208 of 3,381
And I think that was one of Tylls points why he doesn’t want to do negative reviews
Would have been interesting to hear Tyll's opinions on the Composer as our tastes almost ran opposite of one another. :sunglasses:
(for the sake of maintaining sanity deleted the ChatGPT review)

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #2,209 of 3,381
Anyone else own a Fiio FT-3? I think it is a great budget alternative to The Composer. The FT-3 is another headphone that is trying to convey a more natural spatial presentation.

The FT-3 is more intimate and also more bass that is more anchored to the full-range. I feel like The Composer is able to put everything separate and still homogenous, where the FT-3 is mostly homogenous and less transparent.

The only other two headphones that I've head that are alternatives, but not up to todays specs are - Sony SA-5000 and Sony MDR-MA900. Also worth trying out if you never have.

I listened to it more closely a long time ago 😎

NOMAX

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #2,210 of 3,381

I've had the Sony MDR-MA900 for some time - they're still available in good used condition on-line I see for very little. They're great phones - were reviewed very well by Keith Howard and some others in about 2013-14 when released I think. I think they have a lovely spacious feel - imaging is second to none and they extend very nicely at both ends of the spectrum. Timbre is first rate with acoustic instruments. Very low impedance - although I think they repay investment in good sources. Nicely made with a magnesium frame they're only 195g, and supremely comfortable (the open driver housing means they also don't get hot). They can occasionally seem a little congested with complex, bass heavy music. I find them less satisfying than my HD800S or ADX5000 - but I've kept them despite selling all the other dynamics, planars and e-stats I've owned ...

Like so many phones that don't achieve 'star' status for one reason or another, and because they were never particularly expensive, I think they're often simply dismissed as not quite 'serious'.

I've seen the Fiio phones recently and wondered whether they might not fall into the same class - I'm hoping to try some soon.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #2,211 of 3,381
New Composer owner here. Really enjoying this one. Listening to a H Zimmer soundtrack is something else-the bass is deep! I have to say I like it better than my Utopia (which I may sell). Thinking of adding one of the three (Empy 2, Abyss Diana MR, or ZMF Atrium) to compliment it, any suggestions? (I listen rock mainly but also like Chris Isaak, HZimmer, ect).

Feb 9, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #2,212 of 3,381
Well, the rock genre is one of those things...there aren't that many models that are fast and not too bloated and at the same time smooth in the high frequencies
Simply try out a few models 👍

NOMAX

PS.Or wait for the other ear pads to be available 😎

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #2,213 of 3,381
New Composer owner here. Really enjoying this one. Listening to a H Zimmer soundtrack is something else-the bass is deep! I have to say I like it better than my Utopia (which I may sell). Thinking of adding one of the three (Empy 2, Abyss Diana MR, or ZMF Atrium) to compliment it, any suggestions? (I listen rock mainly but also like Chris Isaak, HZimmer, ect).
Well, I have Composer and Atrium, which both I like a lot. Haven't heard Empy ii or Diana Mr. If you mainly listen to rock music, dynamic drivers tend to shine in dynamics that of course could be seen in their name also.
Atrium open is quite a punchy headphone with strong bass, but not as powerfull sub bass as Composer. Their soundprofiles are quite different imo. Composer leaves more room in higher frequencies and is more detailed. Atrium paints with a wider pencil. Composer is a brighter headphone, anyhow I don't consider Atrium as dark or Composer especially bright. Atrium's sound stage is wider, Composer is cleaner and more defined.
Both these dynamic headphones are very good all rounders in my opinion. Atrium suits very well for rock also.
Planars are a bit different considering punch and sounstage. Usually a bit less punch and wide(r) soundstage.
Although Composer's soundstage isn't so wide, I like it a lot with classical music especially with tube amps. Atrium also likes tubes, even more?
It surely pays to listen and compare!

Feb 9, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #2,214 of 3,381
"...PS.Or wait for the other ear pads to be available 😎..."
Sounds intriguing, any more info?

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #2,216 of 3,381
Feb 10, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #2,217 of 3,381
1707556917865.jpeg

I wish they could have achieved the same sound without this horrible glued piece of foam, such as with a passive filter. Or at least made it part of the earpads so that it can be replaced easily.
I mean for starters it makes the earpads feel more shallow which is not comfortable for people with big ears.
Secondly, sooner or later it will need to be replaced, especially since it can contact some people's ears. For example, Beyerdynamic puts in a new foam disk with a new set of earpads because the old one usuall wears off along with the old pads.

Look at all those classic vintage headphones, such as the AKG K1000, Sony R10 and some others. The deterioration of the foam is one of the main problems with them. And for such headphones as the Composer, you kind of expect for them to work flawlessly for years or even decades, probably also becoming classic some time.

Maybe they will get rid of it in the Composer V2 some day. It would be nice.

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #2,218 of 3,381
"...PS.Or wait for the other ear pads to be available 😎..."
Sounds intriguing, any more info?

Let's be surprised, I would say what the near time future bring,to what extent the Alcantara pads offer us a different tonal performance
without losing the outstanding technical qualities of the composer👍

NOMAX

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #2,219 of 3,381
1707556917865.jpeg

I wish they could have achieved the same sound without this horrible glued piece of foam, such as with a passive filter. Or at least made it part of the earpads so that it can be replaced easily.

Days ago i posted something similar - sweat, skin grease, dust particles (especially in combination) can clog the pores of the foam - then a replacement is necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back