THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Jan 10, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #1,636 of 3,397
I never listen to classical on headphones (actually also not on speakers anymore for the past few years), but I can imagine e that that genre might be a fit for the HD800, playing to its strengths while casually ignoring its weaknesses. To me the Composer is a much more versatile headphone though…

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #1,637 of 3,397
If, as has been stated, the Composer has the clarity and spatiality of the H800 but with greater harmonic richness and more palpable bass–then count me in. Sounds kind of ideal to me.

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #1,638 of 3,397
If, as has been stated, the Composer has the clarity and spatiality of the H800 but with greater harmonic richness and more palpable bass–then count me in. Sounds kind of ideal to me.
Those are just words and they may not match how you hear things - I am skeptical about the increased harmonic richness (especially in the mids). Just wait for one to show up at your dealer and listen for yourself.

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #1,639 of 3,397
But have you also tried the Composer yet?

No I haven't. I'd love to try it, as its the only other DD that interest me. However, since the HD800s reportedly still has a larger sound stage and the bass is fixed with EQ, I don't see myself replacing it. As I value that large soundstage and its the king of it. If I did replace it though, it would be with the composer though, assuming the distortion is like a typical DD so I can eq it.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #1,640 of 3,397
No I haven't. I'd love to try it, as its the only other DD that interest me. However, since the HD800s reportedly still has a larger sound stage and the bass is fixed with EQ, I don't see myself replacing it. As I value that large soundstage and its the king of it. If I did replace it though, it would be with the composer though, assuming the distortion is like a typical DD so I can eq it.
I see. Maybe (if money is no object) having both would be optimal … one for classical music … one for rock/pop/jazz/metal :wink:

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #1,641 of 3,397
I have both the HD800 and HD800S. I love them. But there is no eq solution that makes the bass on the HD800 series sound like the Composer. The composer bass goes deeper than an eq'd HD800 (or S) and has slam (which an eq'd senn still doesn't have). Plus you can run it successfully off amps that simply won't work for a 300 ohm HD800. You can definitely eq the composer, it responds well, but so far I like it stock. Although the stage isn't as big as HD800, it is close enough that I don't miss the staging of the HD800(or S). The HD800 series do some things that the composer doesn't do and I won't be selling them. I have lived with HD800 for 13 years. I now leave it at my 2nd home. The HD800S (which I have had since the week it was released) along with the stax sr007 are my daily drivers, up until now. It's fun having several headphones, they all excel at different things. I think it is too early for me to say this, but if you pointed a gun at my head and said I can only keep one, today I would pick the composer. But maybe after I get to know it better I will say something different.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #1,642 of 3,397
It's fun having several headphones, they all excel at different things. I think it is too early for me to say this, but if you pointed a gun at my head and said I can only keep one, today I would pick the composer. But maybe after I get to know it better I will say something different.
One week ago I would have picked my Stax 009 but after more listening time over the last couple of days the Composer is my favourite! Nice feature: it can be driven by nearly any source, don’t need that big Stax Amp….For sure I will keep both 😂

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #1,643 of 3,397
All those who attaches great importance to the low end will have a lot of fun with the Composer 👍
(In any case, the competition will have a hard time competing with the Composer for the announced price😎)

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #1,644 of 3,397
Auditioned the Composer today.
The main points for me were:

Planar-like bass (I hate to use this analogy because some planars are terrible but some will understand it) - basically highly textured, fast and clean with some power
Treble can get a bit spicy with some recordings
The bass is really quite excellent
Soundstage is a bit above average but not big/huge
I liked the bass
Tuning is almost neutral with a slight U-shape... where only the lower bass and upper treble are slightly more emphasized
And finally something about the bass

Would audition again :thumbsup: (bass)

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #1,645 of 3,397

Planar-like bass (I hate to use this analogy because some planars are terrible but some will understand it) - basically highly textured, fast and clean with some power
The bass is really quite excellent
Soundstage is a bit above average but not big/huge
I liked the bass
Tuning is almost neutral with a slight U-shape... where only the lower bass and upper treble are slightly more emphasized
And finally something about the bass

Would audition again :thumbsup: (bass)
But what about the bass?

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #1,648 of 3,397

That was also my feeling in the first few hours...always on the verge of being too much. That was the reason I sent back my first Composer after some hours but bought another one as I missed the headphone after a few days :beyersmile:

Maybe it's a habituation effect or "headphone burn in" (which I don't really believe in) but I don't have any longer the feeling it is to spicy. I switched over to other headphones for reference but I feel more and more happy with the Composer also on this critical point.

Soundstage (and I really love a big big big soundstage): You are right it is not big / huge like a HD800 or some STAX headphones. At first I was a little disappointed but it feels right somehow. And as I don't want to sell my STAX headphones the Composer is a good addition to my collection.

For sure I'm still under consideration to avoid new toy syndrome :wink:

P.S.: Bass is outstanding and really deep (something I missed on so many headphones)

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #1,649 of 3,397
I see. Maybe (if money is no object) having both would be optimal … one for classical music … one for rock/pop/jazz/metal :wink:

I'm not the type of person who grabs another HP just for a specific genre. I listen to all genres no matter what HP I'm using. When I do switch its mainly for the different presentation and driver presentation.

I have both the HD800 and HD800S. I love them. But there is no eq solution that makes the bass on the HD800 series sound like the Composer. The composer bass goes deeper than an eq'd HD800 (or S) and has slam (which an eq'd senn still doesn't have). Plus you can run it successfully off amps that simply won't work for a 300 ohm HD800. You can definitely eq the composer, it responds well, but so far I like it stock. Although the stage isn't as big as HD800, it is close enough that I don't miss the staging of the HD800(or S). The HD800 series do some things that the composer doesn't do and I won't be selling them. I have lived with HD800 for 13 years. I now leave it at my 2nd home. The HD800S (which I have had since the week it was released) along with the stax sr007 are my daily drivers, up until now. It's fun having several headphones, they all excel at different things. I think it is too early for me to say this, but if you pointed a gun at my head and said I can only keep one, today I would pick the composer. But maybe after I get to know it better I will say something different.

Composer driver is also closer to you ear though, has flatter bass than most any DD I've seen if you're comparing a stock HD800. However HD800 driver is larger. I will tell you this though, I bought a fostex TH900 for the reported bass slam. Well after months of listening I decided it was no better than my Eq'd HD800s bass and I love the effect of the bass pressurizing those large cups. When I looked at the Fostex th900 FR I realized it has Harman bass and I was already listening to that exact level of bass in my HD800s.

You said you have eq'd the HD800, but do you normally listen to them that way or stock ?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #1,650 of 3,397
Quick post to share with you guys the joy of listening to a complete album of an artist I love, undisturbed.

The purity of the moment.

Kudos to my excellent friend @davidmolliere for signaling this release, that we both missed at the time in 2022.

uq8nbuax6945a_600.jpg

Combining pace, engagement and timbre at such a degree is blissful.

Setup is "simple" :
DX312EXN LO high gain streaming Qobuz > iFi 4.4mm to twin XLR3 > Flux Lab FA-10 Limited low gain > Composer > my brain

IMG_20240111_223256.jpg

Result =
2024-01-11-23-11-05-655.jpg

There you go: bliss! 😁

(please forgive the half baked new age ridicule of this photo)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back