THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Oct 30, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #1,021 of 3,365
Get what you’re saying but to me it’s doesn’t even sound like the same headphone. The Composer does have a big soundstage and very good sub bass but it doesn’t have anything for me that makes me like the Utopia. Where’s the excitement. Where’s the punch. I heard a pretty neutral open headphone that will appeal to many. I personally think the Caldera answers the call for people that still want an exciting headphone with sub bass and slightly bigger soundstage. And if they want something with an even bigger soundstage, Caldera with thick pads at the cost of a bit of the extra excitement. I know you have something against ZMF, so you’d never recommend them.

And once against, I’m not trying to talk people out of this. I just think the angle of trying to pitch to current Utopia owners is a setup for disappointment.

As you noted yourself...you will find the excitement in the low end as well as in the bigger soundstage
About the punch...I prefer the whole one 😉
And that the Composer sounds the same as the Utopia OG of it was also for my part never the speech 😎
I said a kind of Utopia.....better? everyone must decide for himself if he gives the Viennese his ear for a comparison side by side

NOMAX

PS.nice evening to all👍

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #1,022 of 3,365
Have you heard of Clear mg? it is probably better than composer.
Maybe???? Maybe not!!! Perhaps you should actually hear them before putting shade on these cans. I will never buy these, as I prefer something warm and I suppose distorting. Early feedback is that these don't fall into that category. Regardless, it's amazing to me the number of people making statements as if they are FACT, while they haven't even heard the headphone.

Headfi, really has become a bit of a place for unknowledgeable people to weigh in and influence unsuspecting noobies....

:beerchug:

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #1,023 of 3,365
As you noted yourself...you will find the excitement in the low end as well as in the bigger soundstage
About the punch...I prefer the whole one 😉
And that the Composer sounds the same as the Utopia OG of it was also for my part never the speech 😎
I said a kind of Utopia.....better? everyone must decide for himself if he gives the Viennese his ear for a comparison side by side

NOMAX

PS.nice evening to all👍
I did not say that. I agreed there is more sub bass and a bigger soundstage. That part is true. Do I personally find that exciting, no. In general if the soundstage gets too big you lose intimacy and excitement. You lose weight. This is how the Composer felt to me. So far the only headphone I’ve heard pull off huge soundstage, great bass, and excitement is the Abyss 1266. But even then, it didn’t sound like I was listening to a headphone for better or worse. Closest to speaker setup I’ve heard. But I don’t think it would satisfy my headphone enjoyment because it still lacked intimacy.

I guess the other thing is I loved the original Utopia just the way they are. I wasn’t asking for bigger soundstage or sub bass. I never found them too harsh. And only reason I don’t have them anymore is curiosity get the better of me and luckily the Caldera works just as beautifully.

But I do want people to hear the Composer. It does things really well and for those people that like this type of sound, I’d hate for them to miss out. I really think it will appeal to the detail freaks out there.

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #1,024 of 3,365
I can handle it well and live with it if someone does not like the composer👍
However, not if someone has not heard or compared it side by side 😉

NOMAX

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #1,025 of 3,365
This is really not my genre🙈😝...but this has really something awesome with the composer 😎
(There you can see how technically well the transducer does his job)

🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘

NOMAX

@xxx1313 Thx for the short trip to the Metal World 👍

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #1,026 of 3,365
Perhaps it’s just me, but…

When one member has made 25% of the posts in a single thread with over 1000 posts, I think it’s reasonable to consider the motive, particularly when reading over the top praise for a headphone not in general release.

The “hard sell” is actually making it less likely that I’ll consider purchasing the Composer.

Obviously, YMMV

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #1,027 of 3,365
69 pages and the cans have yet to go on sale 🤦‍♂️

Oct 30, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #1,028 of 3,365
Perhaps it’s just me, but…

When one member has made 25% of the posts in a single thread with over 1000 posts, I think it’s reasonable to consider the motive, particularly when reading over the top praise for a headphone not in general release.

The “hard sell” is actually making it less likely that I’ll consider purchasing the Composer.

Obviously, YMMV

You remember?😉

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...y-austrian-audio.969871/page-52#post-17777925

(You don't have to read what I write👍)

NOMAX

PS.Do not worry,i think will not be long until some have him 😎

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #1,029 of 3,365
In this thread, only one person said that Composer is better than utopia, can you guess that?😂
You can count me in too. I also prefer the Composer to the Utopia V2. Both are great headphones though and it is a matter of taste which one prefers. I have listed my Utopia V2 for sale in the classifieds, so Head-Fi'ers from Europe can get a great headphones for a reasonable price. :)

Cheers,
Bernie

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #1,031 of 3,365
Oct 30, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #1,032 of 3,365
Oct 30, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #1,033 of 3,365
It’s this talk that bothers me. I don’t think everyone who loved the original Utopia will find the Composer to their liking. Perhaps some will. I really see this more for Stealth lovers and people who prefer more analytic headphone. Think you might be overhyping this headphone. No one headphone suits everyone. But I do know you’re a big fan of the Utopia and the Stealth, so what you say is truthful in your mind. But for me, I have a hard time understanding how somehow how likes the Utopia can also really like the Stealth too. Or vice versa. What I like in the Utopia others have stated its exact reason they hate them.
I’d prefer Stealth to Nutopia. (I'm from Ether 2.)
I think both Stealth and Nutopia are great all-rounders, but both have their strengths and weaknesses.
Nutopia has its dome-shaped room and achieves excellent acoustics. (I think there are some objections.)
His top-notch acoustic presentation makes most recordings sound better than they really are. An excellent theatre director.
It's great no matter what I listen to. Fun rumbling bass. Nutopia always blows me away.
On the other hand, whatever I listen to will be presented in Nutopia's style.
Focal headphones have their style.
Stealth is more modest.
Stealth tunes the room perfectly. For better or for worse.
Depending on the recording, acoustic instruments often sound lifeless.
However, it has various advantages. Accuracy of tone, quality of space. It is suitable for long listening sessions.

I also like ZMF headphones, and recently I've been strongly attracted to Susvara. lol
It sounds like I don't have a consistent preference, but so far Stealth satisfies me the most.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #1,034 of 3,365
@Cirrus Socrates Particl

I agree about the stealth and its spatial/room representation 👍
(This is also no longer possible better I think personally)

NOMAX

Oct 30, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #1,035 of 3,365
I did not say that. I agreed there is more sub bass and a bigger soundstage. That part is true. Do I personally find that exciting, no. In general if the soundstage gets too big you lose intimacy and excitement. You lose weight. This is how the Composer felt to me. So far the only headphone I’ve heard pull off huge soundstage, great bass, and excitement is the Abyss 1266. But even then, it didn’t sound like I was listening to a headphone for better or worse. Closest to speaker setup I’ve heard. But I don’t think it would satisfy my headphone enjoyment because it still lacked intimacy.

I guess the other thing is I loved the original Utopia just the way they are. I wasn’t asking for bigger soundstage or sub bass. I never found them too harsh. And only reason I don’t have them anymore is curiosity get the better of me and luckily the Caldera works just as beautifully.

But I do want people to hear the Composer. It does things really well and for those people that like this type of sound, I’d hate for them to miss out. I really think it will appeal to the detail freaks out there.
I generally agree with your views.
I listened to Nutopia and immediately felt it was close to perfect! It's a catchy sound.
In the case of the Composer, I gradually grew to like it.
But, what moves us varies from person to person.
Whether Utopia enthusiast like the Composer or not will depend on which aspects of Utopia they like.
For those who looling for more cleanerness, accuracy and technicality from Utopia, the Composer may be a good choice.
What about those who like Utopia's somewhat over-the-top performance? Its performance is definitely of a fun nature.
But I don't know. The best thing to do is to just give it a listen.
PS.Well, I still think that the Composer has more in common with the Utopia than with the Stealth
And who sees and hear it differently than me...also no problem 👍
Since you listen to the Composer a lot, your understanding is probably correct.
What the Composer sounds closer to is all relative.
It depends on which side of things you look at.
The Composer also has great performance of its own.
I'd like to unravel it, but I don't have much knowledge or vocabulary.
To me, the Composer seemed to emphasize accuracy, so I thought had an almost Stealth-like character.
In terms of dynamism, ability to move air, etc., it may be closer to Utopia.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back