THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Oct 14, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #721 of 3,364
Here are the enclosed cables again
Size comparison banana plug with 4.4 mm Pentaconn style

Austrian Audio Kabeln 2023-10-14 um 18.19.52.jpeg
Austrian Audio Kabeln 2023-10-02 um 11.48.53.jpeg

Oct 14, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #723 of 3,364
It seems from this video and the other one that the magnets that hold the pads in place are too weak. Mike barely touched it and the pad fell off. Probably needs to be improved before the release.
He was holding it from the pad and forcing it to rotate. It is not "barely touching".
1697298599435.png

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #726 of 3,364
It seems from this video and the other one that the magnets that hold the pads in place are too weak. Mike barely touched it and the pad fell off. Probably needs to be improved before the release.
You can see it here, how little force he applied to detach them from 7:25 and on:

One thing I didn't mention in my impressions post about The Composer was that when I went to reattach the earpads, as I held the earpad in my hand, the magnetic force was so strong that it actually picked up the earcup that was lying flat on the table as the earpad got close to it! But even with the strong magnets, the alignment pegs on the earpad are very small, and it still needed to be moved around a little by hand to get it to fully align on the earcup. But once the earpad was properly seated in place, it stayed locked on.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #727 of 3,364

You get a very special composer from Vienna😎...one where the pads are attached with double sided tape🤪😉

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #728 of 3,364
My tests include how the material behaves when you clean the headphones, whether the paint comes off the cushion, headband or housing?
(With the Sterilium....a quite normal disinfectant from the pharmacy)

IMG_8580.jpeg

With the Composer in any case not👍......why however with others at far from higher prices?😉
(How does the headphone look after cleaning? After longer use? Yes my tests begin where others do not dream of it)

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #729 of 3,364
My tests include how the material behaves when you clean the headphones, whether the paint comes off the cushion, headband or housing?
(With the Sterilium....a quite normal disinfectant from the pharmacy)

IMG_8580.jpeg

With the Composer in any case not👍......why however with others at far from higher prices?😉
(How does the headphone look after cleaning? After longer use? Yes my tests begin where others do not dream of it)

NOMAX

PS.lol
I'd be super interested in the cleaning results from several models and brands.

Oct 14, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #730 of 3,364
One thing I didn't mention in my impressions post about The Composer was that when I went to reattach the earpads, as I held the earpad in my hand, the magnetic force was so strong that it actually picked up the earcup that was lying flat on the table as the earpad got close to it! But even with the strong magnets, the alignment pegs on the earpad are very small, and it still needed to be moved around a little by hand to get it to fully align on the earcup. But once the earpad was properly seated in place, it stayed locked on.

I fully agree, magnets are strong enough for sure. Got another listening session with the Composer today and it fully convinced me again. It is exciting to hear how the Composer clearly shows the small differences between different DAPs (M17, SP3000 in Black and Copper, SP2000Cu). What one likes best is essentially just a matter of taste. Apart from that, any reasonable USB DAC/Amp dongle would be sufficient, so you would not even need a flagship DAP to get great sound.

Although I personally particularly liked the combination with the Full Score one, the Composer sounds great on practically every device. It was also fascinating again how the Composer presents both bad recordings in a quite pleasing way and how it also scales very well with better recordings. This headphone is the real deal in the high end headphone space, imho.

Cheers,
Bernie

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #731 of 3,364
Here are the enclosed cables again
Size comparison banana plug with 4.4 mm Pentaconn style

Now measured with mm ruler.
Looks like 3 mm pins.
Third party cable manufacturers will hardly have any problems with this.
DIY will find these pins in RC model making, according to research they are used there.

6D373E44-184D-4B2C-8327-0337121603E6_1_201_a.jpeg
9F24C49F-28BB-4578-9ECD-12C34B7EC30E_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #732 of 3,364
Now measured with mm ruler.
Looks like 3 mm pins.
Third party cable manufacturers will hardly have any problems with this.
DIY will find these pins in RC model making, according to research they are used there.

In the first photo the part of the cable between 15mm and 25mm does not inspire great confidence. Shouldn't it have outer cuts to become more flexible and durable (like most plugs have)? The point at 25mm seems ecpecially vulnerable. However, these comments are only based at the photo, I haven't seen or touched any sample.

I like the 3mm pins very much.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #734 of 3,364
I don't know how I can take any Abyss fanboy seriously, though. :p

I would not see it so negatively, Diana Phi as well as Diana TC do not make a bad figure tonally as well as technically...I have to give it a thumbs up as well👍
Joe has a different problem,since many years, he must finally manage to put his acoustic performance in an industrial design that does justice to the price, this includes an adjustment mechanism / headband / wearing comfort that already exists in 200 euro headphones, and also ear pads that completely enclose around the ear

❗️The most important thing besides the sound?❗
I take the headphones in my hand put it on and it fits like a glove right away👍
(And in my opinion Abyss is still miles away from that)

NOMAX

PS.maybe I still experience that in my life 😇

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #735 of 3,364
I am sure many headphone cables companies will offer high quality cables for the Composer if there is demand.
The same can be said about earpads if needed. Dekoni Audio maybe?
It is very possible that these third-party accessories will appear but personally I would never buy a € 2,500 headphone with the intention to give another € 500 for pads and cables. The stock ones have to be as well made as possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back