THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Oct 4, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #557 of 3,381
I guess Composer is like DCA Stealth with airy treble and very slightly more lower mids. Maybe also slightly less subbass?

I would say that the Composer is like DCA Stealth with airier treble, less upper bass and better dynamics.

Composer vs. Utopia 2022: The Composer has airier treble, less lower mids and less upper bass, but much more sub bass. Utopia imo sounds a bit warmer overall and very (lower-) mid-centric and closed in direct comparison.

The Composer has imo a very (Harman) neutral tuning with bass probably only slightly below the Harman Target. I hope that we will see FR measurements soon thanks to Oratorry1990.

Cheers,
Bernie

Oct 4, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #558 of 3,381
I would say that the Composer is like DCA Stealth with airier treble, less upper bass and better dynamics.

Composer vs. Utopia 2022: The Composer has airier treble, less lower mids and less upper bass, but much more sub bass. Utopia imo sounds a bit warmer overall and very (lower-) mid-centric and closed in direct comparison.

The Composer has imo a very (Harman) neutral tuning with bass probably only slightly below the Harman Target. I hope that we will see FR measurements soon thanks to Oratorry1990.

Cheers,
Bernie
does composer have a sub bass as loud as stealth? and equally energetic batting body?

Oct 4, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #559 of 3,381
does composer have a sub bass as loud as stealth? and
Probably the correct question would be, "will it reproduce the the lower sub bass, down to 20hz faithfully as on the recording." :sunglasses:
equally energetic batting body?
Now we're getting subjective but we all love a good bottom end. :slight_smile:

Oct 4, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #560 of 3,381
Probably the correct question would be, "will it reproduce the the lower sub bass, down to 20hz faithfully as on the recording." :sunglasses:

Now we're getting subjective but we all love a good bottom end. :slight_smile:

The Stealth has a bit more bass quantity than the Composer imo, but the bass quality of the Composer is great. It does not lack attack and impact when it is called for and reaches really low. But to be clear, bassheads who want clearly over-emphasized bass should look elsewhere. I also love good bottom end, but not at all cost. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #561 of 3,381
Based on what nomax has said I think the FR will be similar to the utopia, just with slightly more bass and similar treble or a touch more. I could be completely wrong though. The winner who is closest in their prediction should get a free composer. I think that is fair. ;p

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #562 of 3,381
Enough impact and and depth for me 👍

NOMAX

Fantastic film music - although compressed via internet.
Composer meticulously traces every detail! :heart_eyes:

Oct 5, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #564 of 3,381
Oct 5, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #565 of 3,381
Based on what nomax has said I think the FR will be similar to the utopia, just with slightly more bass and similar treble or a touch more. I could be completely wrong though. The winner who is closest in their prediction should get a free composer. I think that is fair. ;p

But then I would like to get the whole set if already 🤪
Composer+Score One

NOMAX

PS.lol

Oct 5, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #566 of 3,381
bassheads who want clearly over-emphasized bass should look elsewhere
Am I correct, in that you consider Harman Bass "clearly Overemphasized "?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #567 of 3,381
At the moment I play all Leonard Cohen albums and listen with Composer + Full Score one, Player: Fidelia.
Spatiality is super, air between the performers, localisation almost spot-on (nothing washed out), rich in detail, timbre of Cohen's voice perfect. No frequency range stands out.
Composer now seems to have "arrived on top form".

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #568 of 3,381
does composer have a sub bass as loud as stealth? and equally energetic batting body?
I hope not. And I would be surprised if it has. I mean the Stealth is a closed-back planar headphones with overemphasized bass, even compared to the Harman curve (which is already too bassy for many). And I don't think any open dynamic headphones have that kind of bass. 4 dB more than the Harman Curve.
1696494264732.png

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #569 of 3,381
I am also in the process of comparing the Composer with the Expanse.
I must say also there that the space in which the tonal performance takes place is simply better with the DCA EXPANSE 👍
Maybe it is also because the Expanse is not really open

Composers performance is more surrounding your years
The ones of the two DCA are more forward and in front of your ears

NOMAX

PS.but from the tonal orientation (tonlality) the Composer is for me ahead and from the technical performance very far ahead compared to the Expanse 👍

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #570 of 3,381
For comparison, my DAC from @Jan Meier - Corda Daccord ff
https://www.meier-audio.de/daccord.html
Technical details:
2 coaxial S/PDIF inputs (Cinch)
1 optical S/PDIF input (Toslink)
1 USB-input port (24bit/192kHz)

All inputs electrically isolated using pulse transformers.
1 pair of outputs with fixed output level.
..........Output level 2.2 Vrms

1 pair of volume-controlled preamplifier outputs.
..........Output level: 6.0 Vrms / High gain
...............................2,4 Vrms / Medium gain
...............................0.9 Vrms / Low gain

Gold-plated output jacks
Silver plated heavy duty switches

Separate powerlines for the analog circuitry and the digital circuitry
All voltage lines double or three-fold regulated
Wide-range powerinput: 85..265V AC / 85..370V DC
Built-in groundloop breaker

Low impedance audiophile electrolytic buffer capacitors (Nichicon Fine Gold). Buffer capacity > 30.000 uF
Polystyrol and polypropylen (Vishay) capacitors in the signal path
C-MEDIA CM6631 USB-to-S/PDIF receiver (24bit/192kHz)
WOLFSON WM8804 S/PDIF receiver

Three IQD temperature compensated 2.5 ppm crystal oscillators (TCXO's) for minimal jitter.

2 pieces WOLFSON WM8741 D/A converter-chip in dual-mono mode

Sampling frequencies / resolution
..........32, 44, 48, 88, 96, 192 kHz / 16, 20, 24 bit

AD797 opamps biased into class-A
ALPS RK27 potentiometer for volume-control
Extended natural crossfeed filter
3 intensity levels for the crossfeed signal.

Star-grounding

Weight: 1.7 kg
Size: 28.0 x 17.5 x 6.7 cm
Power uptake: 6 Watts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back