THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Oct 3, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #451 of 3,381
K812 is truly the statement headphone by later AKG, but.....

1. Lacks balanced connect option, when most "hifi headphone amp" go for balanced, its become a problem.

2.Head-Fier actually not so like so call "neutral" timbre, in fact, most of us prefer slight rising treble for transients and decays.

But for pro-use, Treble most turn down for long time listening fatigue.

3.The upsurge of planars , those headphone not as picky as dynamics, easily to got enough clear sound with "more juice" amp.
Not sure what you’re saying here. Most people who didn’t like the K812 was because they found it sharp and sibilant in the treble.

Oct 3, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #452 of 3,381
Not sure what you’re saying here. Most people who didn’t like the K812 was because they found it sharp and sibilant in the treble.

You need more gain than to drive K812 properly .

This is K812's FR with low gain
812rag l.jpg

K812's FR with high gain amp
812rag h.jpg

Oct 3, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #453 of 3,381
AustrianAudio should improve this if possible, or at least provide a short adapter.

Amp headphone jack.jpeg

And for what?🤣
This is the short cable 4.4mm Pentaconn for the mobile devices 😉

NOMAX

Oct 3, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #454 of 3,381
when senns and beyers were more popular, plenty of people owned otl amps and rightly so -- perfect combination. now, if you own an otl, you also likely own a zmf headphone.

The trend in headphones is towards ever lower impedance's.
To the chagrin of those who love OTL amplifiers.
With tube devices there will only be two options in the future, either use an output transformer - or install a transistor driver, better with MOSFET or even better with the rare power JFETS.

Look at Nelson Pass Zen ->> PASSDIY - The ZEN amplifier
or
A Hybrid Valve MOSFET SE Amp - Complete Project

Oct 3, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #455 of 3,381
When it comes to audio, headphones or speakers most prefer a warmer laid back presentation, so it's really preferences.
The K812 geared toward the pro market is a tool and the only way to tell if a mix or recording is on the verge of being too hot it to be able to hear that, same goes for the HD800, so they are not there to please per say.
My preferences lean more toward the analytical so they're fine for me plus listening is an event, a record or two and I want to be "there", maybe even on the edge of my seat, if its to chill I currently have the Sennheiser HD660S2 but they are still musically engaging.
With so many stuck at a computer, their listening station is at their desk, headphones are IMHO becoming more of a transducer for "all day "Musak" and need to be non offensive and an easy listen.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #456 of 3,381
And for what?🤣
This is the short cable 4.4mm Pentaconn for the mobile devices 😉

NOMAX

I think in future Pentaconn connectors are useful in home devices too!

Stationary devices are also becoming smaller and smaller - if only to be able to take them with you anywhere in your apartment or house. Something in between mobile and stationary!
If the amplifier had the option to plug in a DAC board, that would be great! A device for everything.

Oct 3, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #457 of 3,381
since the appearance of austrian audio, it has been almost unknown in the headphone market. and now they release a 2500 euro headphone, why should you buy this?
Well, theoretically speaking you shouldn't buy it until you go to a store, listen to it, compare with similar headphones in that price range, and if you like it more than other headphones, you buy it.
But I see what you mean. There is no obvious selling point for these headphones. When Focal entered the market with their Utopia, they advertised it as the only full-sized headphones with a beryllium driver. When Sennheiser started to sell the HD800, it was a huge unique ring driver, never seen in any other headphones. Beyerdynamic promoted their T1 by stressing a super strong magnet. The same can be said about Heddaudio with their almost unique AMT headphones. When Audeze and Hifiman entered the hi-end headphone market, their idea to promote was to tell people how good their very rare back then planar drivers.

And this pair of headphones visually looks like headphones many times cheaper. The driver looks like in other headphone that costs 50 dollars and cheaper. Just google "dynamic driver" and you see something looking almost exactly the same:
1696338836477.png
]
1696338942180.png

Nothing on their page says why people should buy it for 2500 dollars, except "It sounds so good"(c) - https://austrian.audio/headphones/thecomposer/
Not good marketing, in my opinion. Only Nomax is trying hard to promote it. Kudos to him. After all, they are his friends.)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #458 of 3,381
Did they release a targeted date for orders?

The price is nice and I like some design elements but this feels flat.

Great shilling thus far.

Oct 3, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #460 of 3,381
Well, theoretically speaking you shouldn't buy it until you go to a store, listen to it, compare with similar headphones in that price range, and if you like it more than other headphones, you buy it.
But I see what you mean. There is no obvious selling point for these headphones. When Focal entered the market with their Utopia, they advertised it as the only full-sized headphones with a beryllium driver. When Sennheiser started to sell the HD800, it was a huge unique ring driver, never seen in any other headphones. Beyerdynamic promoted their T1 by stressing a super strong magnet. The same can be said about Heddaudio with their almost unique AMT headphones. When Audeze and Hifiman entered the hi-end headphone market, their idea to promote was to tell people how good their very rare back then planar drivers.

And this pair of headphones visually looks like headphones many times cheaper. The driver looks like in other headphone that costs 50 dollars and cheaper. Just google "dynamic driver" and you see something looking almost exactly the same:
]
Nothing on their page says why people should buy it for 2500 dollars, except "It sounds so good"(c) - https://austrian.audio/headphones/thecomposer/
Not good marketing, in my opinion. Only Nomax is trying hard to promote it. Kudos to him. After all, they are his friends.)

As I said, the K812 is far far far behind the Composer🤣...in all areas of his tonal and technical presentation👍
Everyone hears that in the first 60 seconds👍
I wouldn't put on a K812 today🙈👎😝.....his time is long over
(Yes I have a lot of friends...but that doesn't matter)

If the price seems too high or not justified, there are plenty of other models at even higher prices😉 that do not come close to the quality of this model from Vienna😎

NOMAX

PS.A nice day to all 👍.....I'm currently testing another sample/proto from another manufacturer

lol

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #461 of 3,381
Off topic
The edges of the K812 pads to the ear are not rounded. In the meantime, the plastic has become harder and really hurts on the skin of the head. This is the case with both pads I own.

K812 Pads Kanten.png

Oct 3, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #462 of 3,381
You need more gain than to drive K812 properly .

This is K812's FR with low gain
Actually has more to do with available current, even a smartphone is able to power them to loud levels otherwise we'd all use those. :sunglasses:
How the gain switches on an amp are implemented can also effect the performance of some phones, it's not all about volume.

Oct 3, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #463 of 3,381
I don’t see why something has to be unique in its driver concept… being better is enough for me. I generally don’t like planars (except some DCA models), so that once unique driver concept holds nothing for me. Same for the HD800 ring driver: nice, but that doesn’t help… it just doesn’t fit my taste. AMT? No thanks… no 500g headphones for me.

I still think the dynamic driver concept has the most potential with a very good balance between weight, cost, efficiency and sound quality.

Oct 3, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #464 of 3,381
Off topic
The edges of the K812 pads to the ear are not rounded. In the meantime, the plastic has become harder and really hurts on the skin of the head. This is the case with both pads I own.

No pads are exempt from wear and tear, my HD800S pads (even the cables) literally disintegrate over time from the interaction from body oils.
To prolong the life of the K812/872 pads it is necessary to clean them with once in awhile and treat them with a vinyl conditioner other wise they will eventually dry and crack, Armour All for example.
https://www.amazon.ca/Armor-All-Original-Protectant-Spray/dp/B00G9YG7SU

I use...Sonax, pads remain soft and supple, great for rubber speaker surrounds also.
https://www.amazon.ca/Sonax-03401000-Rubber-Protectant-GummiPfleger/dp/B01GS3EIIC

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #465 of 3,381

Attachments

• 1696344223922.png
    1696344223922.png
    626.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back