The Compass Thread (New)
Mar 21, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #886 of 981
Ok, I'm freaking out here a little. Anytime I plug the DAC out of my Compass, in super mode, to my CMOY, I can only turn the pot so far (not very!) before it all becomes a distorted mess. The track itself is fine as I can use the Compass' amp to drive it up to ear bleeding volumes with no distortion. Is the compass to blame or the CMOY? I'm using the CMOY because I'm trying to trouble a SSMH I just built and want to know where the problem lies (I'm doing Compass DAC-out --> SSMH).

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #888 of 981
I have it in Super mode, so the compass volume pot does nothing, since I'm using DAC-out. I'm turning the volume up on the cmoy. Thanks though.

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #889 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I'm freaking out here a little. Anytime I plug the DAC out of my Compass, in super mode, to my CMOY, I can only turn the pot so far (not very!) before it all becomes a distorted mess. The track itself is fine as I can use the Compass' amp to drive it up to ear bleeding volumes with no distortion. Is the compass to blame or the CMOY? I'm using the CMOY because I'm trying to trouble a SSMH I just built and want to know where the problem lies (I'm doing Compass DAC-out --> SSMH).

Use the DAC line level out and make sure the preamp toggle on the back panel is off. You are double amping the signal to the CMOY which is distorting like mad from it's input overload.

If you are still having trouble post a pic of the back panel and the settings as well cabling and we'll get you sorted.

Peete.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #890 of 981
Almost a year ago (p38!) I talked about with with the fine folk here (and confirmed by Kingwa) that my compass had a bad volume pot. (Wasn't there a batch of these?)
Not fancying the postage I've just been cracking on with it since then. Exam procrastination seems like a great reason to get round to having it fixed though
biggrin.gif

So what model of volume pot is used in the Compass? Any ideas where to get one in the UK would be helpful as well.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #891 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beronj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost a year ago (p38!) I talked about with with the fine folk here (and confirmed by Kingwa) that my compass had a bad volume pot. (Wasn't there a batch of these?)
Not fancying the postage I've just been cracking on with it since then. Exam procrastination seems like a great reason to get round to having it fixed though
biggrin.gif

So what model of volume pot is used in the Compass? Any ideas where to get one in the UK would be helpful as well.

Here's what you want.

ALPS BLUE RK27 704t 25K Stereo Volume Pot / Control - eBay (item 160395732514 end time May-16-10 22:50:19 PDT)

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #892 of 981
Quote:

biggrin.gif

There were some with a soldering issue. You can have the top off and push down on the right front corner of the PCB and the sound will cut in and out. This can be fixed by reflowing the solder points on the underside of the board for the vol pot.

Apr 23, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #893 of 981
Quote:

biggrin.gif

You can get the RK27 volume pot from RS Components I believe - that's where I've bought all my stuff from recently for an amp build. You can save on postage if there is a trade counter near you and you go and collect. I've been lucky, there is one a few miles from where I live. Let me know if you need the link to the product on the RS website if you can't find it

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #894 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There were some with a soldering issue. You can have the top off and push down on the right front corner of the PCB and the sound will cut in and out. This can be fixed by reflowing the solder points on the underside of the board for the vol pot.

This is exactly what happens. Only problem is I really don't have the skills to do that myself (don't fancy oven-roasting it, xbox 360 style) and there are no 'proper' hifi/electrical shops in Durham that I know of to do it. Cracking Engineering department at the Uni, but nobody I know there to do it for a beer or two...

Currently working with a very carefully sized stack of lego (for NXJ robotics, honest) between the lid and volume pot.
o2smile.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #895 of 981
Quote:

This is exactly what happens. Only problem is I really don't have the skills to do that myself (don't fancy oven-roasting it, xbox 360 style) and there are no 'proper' hifi/electrical shops in Durham that I know of to do it. Cracking Engineering department at the Uni, but nobody I know there to do it for a beer or two...

Currently working with a very carefully sized stack of lego (for NXJ robotics, honest) between the lid and volume pot.
o2smile.gif

Reflowing the Solder Points is not that easy. It's tight in there.

Apr 30, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #896 of 981
If I had to reflow it I'd probably dissasemble it as much as necessary...ttrying to do the reflow in the case would be a pita. Reflowing is an extremely easy task for anyone with basic soldering skills though, I'm sure there's someone at the University who can do it.

May 1, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #897 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had to reflow it I'd probably dissasemble it as much as necessary...ttrying to do the reflow in the case would be a pita. Reflowing is an extremely easy task for anyone with basic soldering skills though, I'm sure there's someone at the University who can do it.

It's a little more than re-flowing, the joints are heated up 3 at a time and the Vol POT is worked into the board a little more. Hard to explain in text. But you just need to take the top and side panel off.

Jun 23, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #898 of 981
Hey all - been a while!

So my input selector has gone all funky on me.  I use it a lot to switch between my Mac (optical) and PC (coax) - like daily - so no doubt it is just wearing out, but I haven't had it for that long!

Anyway, when I switch to the center position (coax) it seems like it is not always sitting in place perfectly. Sometimes it is fine, but usually I get static that fades in and oout with music - like the selector isn't quite in place. If I touch it or wiggle it - even the slightest bit - the static gets worse and/or the sound cuts out completely. Sometimes if I switch to optical and then back to coax, it is fine - other times it is worse.

This has been getting progressively worse the last few weeks. The optical position seems to be just fine. I don't use USB so I can't say there.

I really don't want to have to ship this thing half-way around the world again - any thoughts?

Thanks,
S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back