The Compass Thread (New)
Jan 22, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #871 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No it doesn't come back if I pause it, hell, a windows sound will stop it.

It's not a big deal, it happened a couple times yesterday so I got worried but hasn't happened today except when I purposely let me PC go to stand by while the amp was on.

I would say everything is working as designed.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #872 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say everything is working as designed.

Yeah, and I know now at least it has nothing to do with the Compass itself.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #873 of 981
Quote:

Yeah, and I know now at least it has nothing to do with the Compass itself.

Good Deal, Happy Ending!

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #875 of 981
Just checking, but do you guys think I would encounter the same issue through USB?

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #876 of 981
Quote:

Just checking, but do you guys think I would encounter the same issue through USB?

Only one way to find out...

Depends on what was causing it of course. I would disable all BIOS power saving and all OS Power saving and see if it happens. If it does, then it's proably the S/PDIF being idle causes the interface to turn down. If it doesn't happen again, then it's apower saving setting perhaps. Turn them on one at a time to try and reproduce the problem.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #877 of 981
One thing I know about the USB input on the Compass is that it's not powered by the PC but rather by the Compass power supply, Kingwa told me this when I was burning it in. This is a good thing as it means cleaner power and less chance for PC noise.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #878 of 981
I just purchased a used Compass as my first DAC/Amp. I read that "Bright" is the default setting but the specs on the GD-Audio site only shows Neutral, Soft1, Soft2, and Soft3 as the options. Is bright = neutral?

Since neutral is the jumperless setting, I assume I just need to remove the jumper(s), correct?

http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/EARpic/Compass%20EAR.gif

EDIT: After reading a bit more, it appears that "Bright" has replaced one of the Soft settings, and is the default and jumperless setting. "Neutral" is Jumper 1 (ON), Jumper 2 (OFF)

http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/EARpic/manual.jpg

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #879 of 981
The first settings in your posting are from the original I believe pre-production Compass. The second ones are indeed the ones for the final version.

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #881 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first settings in your posting are from the original I believe pre-production Compass. The second ones are indeed the ones for the final version.

This is the unit I purchased -

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/so...9/#post6121172

I take it from the front and back panel, it is indeed the "Final" version rather than the pre-production version with the "Ear Out", heh.

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #882 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the unit I purchased -

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/so...9/#post6121172

I take it from the front and back panel, it is indeed the "Final" version rather than the pre-production version with the "Ear Out", heh.

You got the ever so "slightly" Pre-final version!

I'm not sure there is any difference other than what the Jumper settings were called. I think the actual jumper settings are the same as far as component values and SQ.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #884 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you tell what version it is? (I haven't received the unit yet. I've just been going by pictures and the diagrams on the site.)

Those PIX are of the final version that you posted, RE the sale thread. Just play around with the Jumper settings till you like it. I run mine with the jumpers out.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #885 of 981
I was able to confirm that it is indeed the final version. The instructions on the reverse side of the top panel note the jumper settings as Bright, Neutral, Soft1, and Soft2 as in the final version. In addition, mine has the Earth HDAM.

By the way, does anyone know how much power the Compass draws when idle?

I read earlier in this thread that the Compass is a Class A amp and thus should draw the same amount of power idle as it does in use. This wouldn't surprise me as the unit is just as hot when it's idle as it is while in use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back