The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Dec 11, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #5,686 of 5,999
OTG Cable?

Yeah that's what he's referring to. I was planning on making one for it but never got around to it.

Bought the m8 off peterek. Lol. I need the android to usb b cable as well.

If you want me to send you the connectors you'll need to make one I can do that. I have the USB B connectors and the Micro USB connectors here waiting to be put to use. PM me if you want them.

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #5,687 of 5,999
If you want me to send you the connectors you'll need to make one I can do that. I have the USB B connectors and the Micro USB connectors here waiting to be put to use. PM me if you want them.

I have the parts too, but for some reason it's not working for me. I'm at a loss as to why it's not registering. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #5,688 of 5,999

I have the parts too, but for some reason it's not working for me. I'm at a loss as to why it's not registering. 

Not sure. A couple pins have to be bridged together for the device to sense it as an OTG cable.

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #5,692 of 5,999
  Yep, saw that online too. maybe i just got bad connectors. :p 

I saw a different pinout online and once I finished attempting my first OTG I realized the connectors I was using had a different pin layout. The soldering points were in the same places, but assigned to different pins at the connection point. That's when I put the stuff back in the drawer. Haha

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #5,693 of 5,999
  I saw a different pinout online and once I finished attempting my first OTG I realized the connectors I was using had a different pin layout. The soldering points were in the same places, but assigned to different pins at the connection point. That's when I put the stuff back in the drawer. Haha

Basically..... 

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #5,694 of 5,999
Does anyone have an opinion on the change to sound that using the 4pin connection to a set of CIEMs (balanced) has, vs using the regular 3.5mm Jack?

I'm trying to decide on whether to go a 'balanced' cable for my CIEMs, or to get the 3.5mm connector. Basically I could only use the balanced cable with the Hifi M8, my other dap (qa360, which I use without the Hifi m8) takes the 3.5mm, and I use this when on the go. It would be a pain to use a 4pin to 3.5mm converter every time I want to use the dap, and it would make the rig a lot heavier - which is why I want to know if the 4XLR will actually improve the sound.

Any info on the sound difference to a totl ciem by using the balanced option compared to using the 3.5mm option would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #5,695 of 5,999
Does anyone have an opinion on the change to sound that using the 4pin connection to a set of CIEMs (balanced) has, vs using the regular 3.5mm Jack?

I'm trying to decide on whether to go a 'balanced' cable for my CIEMs, or to get the 3.5mm connector. Basically I could only use the balanced cable with the Hifi M8, my other dap (qa360, which I use without the Hifi m8) takes the 3.5mm, and I use this when on the go. It would be a pain to use a 4pin to 3.5mm converter every time I want to use the dap, and it would make the rig a lot heavier - which is why I want to know if the 4XLR will actually improve the sound.

Any info on the sound difference to a totl ciem by using the balanced option compared to using the 3.5mm option would be greatly appreciated.

Try this: terminate your cable to their 4 pin 2.5mm TRRS balanced (for AK), then get yourself 2 adapters (1 for TRRS to XLR, and the other for single end.)  Trust me, going to balanced is worth it.

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #5,696 of 5,999

Don't bother with balanced just for use with the M8. It does not have a true balanced amp circuit. The balanced connections are just there in case you already have headphones that are balanced. The Mini M8 is truly balanced and it's lower noise floor helps with sensitive iems.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #5,697 of 5,999
Don't bother with balanced just for use with the M8. It does not have a true balanced amp circuit. The balanced connections are just there in case you already have headphones that are balanced. The Mini M8 is truly balanced and it's lower noise floor helps with sensitive iems.

+1 Especially if your DAP that you normally use (without the M8) uses 3.5mm, don't switch to 4-pin XLR just for the M8. Only reason to go balanced now would be if you eventually plan on getting a fully balanced amp in the future, and there's some reason to get the balanced cable done now (ie. Christmas holiday deals, etc.) Otherwise, keep what you have for now (will be virtually no difference in output on the M8 on 3.5mm vs 1/4" vs 4-pin XLR). 

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #5,698 of 5,999
question: anyone have this issue? i just bought this unit (the LX with ios MFI configuration i think), sounds fantastic but once in a blue moon it'd have a slight snap / crackle pop. seems totally random and only happens once or maybe twice a day. This happens either when plugged in or in battery mode, on single ended or balanced outputs, on all gain settings (ive been testing for the last week or so). I've only heard this when plugged into an iphone / ipad tho (i don't use the pc connection at all for the most part).

Is this something i should worry about / send to Centrance to fix? Thoughts / recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #5,699 of 5,999
  Try this: terminate your cable to their 4 pin 2.5mm TRRS balanced (for AK), then get yourself 2 adapters (1 for TRRS to XLR, and the other for single end.)  Trust me, going to balanced is worth it.

+1 Especially if your DAP that you normally use (without the M8) uses 3.5mm, don't switch to 4-pin XLR just for the M8. Only reason to go balanced now would be if you eventually plan on getting a fully balanced amp in the future, and there's some reason to get the balanced cable done now (ie. Christmas holiday deals, etc.) Otherwise, keep what you have for now (will be virtually no difference in output on the M8 on 3.5mm vs 1/4" vs 4-pin XLR). 

Thanks for your opinions. I will check out the CENtrance mini m8 (I don't need the power of the original M8 I've found out, as I have a pair of ciems and an LCD-XC which the mini should drive perfectly) but I will just get a 3.5mm connection for my ciems for now. Balanced is something I can look forward to into in the future. Thank you!

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #5,700 of 5,999

Thanks for your opinions. I will check out the CENtrance mini m8 (I don't need the power of the original M8 I've found out, as I have a pair of ciems and an LCD-XC which the mini should drive perfectly) but I will just get a 3.5mm connection for my ciems for now. Balanced is something I can look forward to into in the future. Thank you!

The thing I like about my M8 is the ability to drive all of my headphones. I have never even touched high gain either and that's driving He-1000's at LOUD. (approx 70% on the 2nd gain setting). 

But I also use my Westone 4's quite frequently on the M8. (approx 40% on 1st setting) 

Very versatile amp, just what I was hoping for! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back