The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jun 4, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #4,802 of 5,999
Apologies to the group if should be starting a new thread for this.

Received my Hifi-M8 yesterday (ordered last Feb).  At the time of order, I was specifically told that the package included the short 30 pin to USB jumper to connect to my Ipod Classic. 

The cable was not to be found, and upon contacting Centrance, I was told that they no longer supply it (it does still appear in the pictures on their website).  Dave suggested one available at Monoprice, but that one appears to be about 4 inches long less compact. 

I admit I'm disappointed that I did not received what I was told I would, and that I now need to order something additional.

What does everyone use to connect the Ipod Classic to the M8 for portable listening, and where did you get it?

Thanks,
Lee

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #4,803 of 5,999

Received my Hifi-M8 yesterday (ordered last Feb).  At the time of order, I was specifically told that the package included the short 30 pin to USB jumper to connect to my Ipod Classic. 

The cable was not to be found, and upon contacting Centrance, I was told that they no longer supply it (it does still appear in the pictures on their website).  Dave suggested one available at Monoprice, but that one appears to be about 4 inches long less compact. 

I admit I'm disappointed that I did not received what I was told I would, and that I now need to order something additional.

What does everyone use to connect the Ipod Classic to the M8 for portable listening, and where did you get it?

Thanks,
Lee

That stinks they won't just send you one, I'm pretty sure they would except they have probably run out and chosen not to order another production run.

You can use any standard Apple 30 pin to USB type A sync cable, such as the one that came with your Classic.

For better sound quality, take a look at the AudioQuest Forest 30 pin cable, not exactly cheap though, and longer at 2.5 ft. long.

For something akin to what CEntrance was providing, both in quality and in length, Griffin makes one that is very similar however it is packaged with two other short USB cables and you have to buy the 3 piece set, albeit only 15 bucks...

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-GC17097-USB-Mini-Cable/dp/B003T5KXJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401909302&sr=8-1&keywords=griffin+30+pin+ipod+cable

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #4,804 of 5,999

Thanks,
Lee

I use the ADL ID-30pa, which is outstanding but even more scratch than the AQ Forest:

http://www.amazon.com/Furutech-ID30PA-iDevice-Cable-Meter/dp/B007EDFTWA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_17?ie=UTF8&refRID=04YS0JSG9HHH3DBQ6PT9

Another nice looking high-end option is made by VentureCraft in Japan:

http://www.amazon.com/7Nclass-30pin-Digital-Short-Cable/dp/B00AT5AHOK/ref=sr_1_65?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401910207&sr=1-65&keywords=short+30+pin+cable

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #4,805 of 5,999
For something akin to what CEntrance was providing, both in quality and in length, Griffin makes one that is very similar however it is packaged with two other short USB cables and you have to buy the 3 piece set, albeit only 15 bucks...

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-GC17097-USB-Mini-Cable/dp/B003T5KXJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401909302&sr=8-1&keywords=griffin+30+pin+ipod+cable

There is a problem with this one. I have it, and it is upside down. In other words, you would have to twist it to have the iDevice sit face up on the top of the M8 where the word "CEntrance" is in white. You could use the Griffin cable included in this set if you are willing to have the iDevice sit on the bottom, which makes lettering upside-down and makes some of the switches on the back hard to adjust.

I checked on Amazon for another set I got that has a short 30-pin cable, but it doesn't look like it is made anymore:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PYJ4YM/

There are others there, though; check reviews to see which ones are durable.

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #4,806 of 5,999
There is a problem with this one. I have it, and it is upside down. In other words, you would have to twist it to have the iDevice sit face up on the top of the M8 where the word "CEntrance" is in white. You could use the Griffin cable included in this set if you are willing to have the iDevice sit on the bottom, which makes lettering upside-down and makes some of the switches on the back hard to adjust.

I checked on Amazon for another set I got that has a short 30-pin cable, but it doesn't look like it is made anymore:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PYJ4YM/

There are others there, though; check reviews to see which ones are durable.

Ah... OK, I use the ADL ID-30pa and so hadn't really tested the Griffin with my M8 I guess, or maybe mine isn't upside down being from a different production run etc... I'll double check that when I get home.

I too have another brand of short sturdy 30 pin cable at home, but for the life of me I can't think of the brand name right now. I'll post it later on after I go home for the day, it is effectively similar construction to the CEntrance and Griffin versions.

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #4,807 of 5,999

Ah... OK, I use the ADL ID-30pa and so hadn't really tested the Griffin with my M8 I guess, or maybe mine isn't upside down being from a different production run etc... I'll double check that when I get home.

I too have another brand of short sturdy 30 pin cable at home, but for the life of me I can't think of the brand name right now here at my place of work. I'll post it later on after I go home for the day, it is effectively similar construction to the CEntrance and Griffin versions.

The upside-down thing threw me for a loop.  "How am I supposed to use this?" was my thought.  For a while, though, I had two devices -- an iPhone and an iPod touch -- attached to an M8, one on either side, each with their own short 30-pin cable.  Double the capacity!  That lasted for about a day. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #4,808 of 5,999

Thanks a lot guys.  I'd seen the Griffin, but had already realized the wire would be twisted to keep both bits right side up.  Maybe that's not the end of the world.

I'm aware of the Furutech, but it's longer than I want.

I wasn't aware of the Venturecraft, but I don't think I can bring myself to spend $175 for one.

To be honest, since they didn't send me what they promised for the quoted price (and finding something decent will likely be a few bucks as well as a pain), I think I'd prefer to just return the thing.  I admit I'm a bit surprised that a start-up that seems to have been customer focused would make such a commitment then simply renege on it.

I'll post when I have a resolution.

Thanks again,
Lee

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #4,809 of 5,999

Thanks a lot guys.  I'd seen the Griffin, but had already realized the wire would be twisted to keep both bits right side up.  Maybe that's not the end of the world.

I'm aware of the Furutech, but it's longer than I want.

I wasn't aware of the Venturecraft, but I don't think I can bring myself to spend $175 for one.

To be honest, since they didn't send me what they promised for the quoted price (and finding something decent will likely be a few bucks as well as a pain), I think I'd prefer to just return the thing.  I admit I'm a bit surprised that a start-up that seems to have been customer focused would make such a commitment then simply renege on it.

I'll post when I have a resolution.

Thanks again,
Lee

I will say this.  The monoprice is the same as the one that used to be included with the M8.  My friend has it and I put my "CEntrance" next to it and the only difference is the logo.  If you don't want a "high end" cable, after your expensive purchase, this will due fine.  I'm not going to spend big bucks on my next cable till I go Lightning....

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #4,810 of 5,999

Perhaps I'm not looking at the same monoprice cable.  The one I found has a small round wire (in place of the wide flat one), and is about 4 inches long not including the connectors.

I'll check again.

Lee

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #4,811 of 5,999

I will say this.  The monoprice is the same as the one that used to be included with the M8.  My friend has it and I put my "CEntrance" next to it and the only difference is the logo.  If you don't want a "high end" cable, after your expensive purchase, this will due fine.  I'm not going to spend big bucks on my next cable till I go Lightning....

Is this the one you are referring to?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=112&cp_id=11213&cs_id=1121301&p_id=10512&seq=1&format=2

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #4,812 of 5,999

Is this the one you are referring to?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=112&cp_id=11213&cs_id=1121301&p_id=10512&seq=1&format=2

I guess so, but the 2 cables I was comparing had flatter looking cabling then the pic implies...

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #4,813 of 5,999

I guess so, but the 2 cables I was comparing had flatter looking cabling then the pic implies...

All good. It's in the cart now. Thanks mate!

Reflecting back on my experience of getting to this point:

NEGATIVES:
- Delayed delivery (not as long as the first batch, but still quite significant
- Lack of communication. 
- Missing 30-Pin cable accessory (apparently no longer included for the M8 4XL as mentioned by another member here)

POSITIVES:
- Sweet discount given at the time of purchase (last Christmas)
- MY GOSH WHAT AWESOME SOUND! I have tried it now with both Alpha Dog and TH900. I have been using it with the TH900 for nigh on 6 straight hours. Another 5 last night. The TH900 and M8 combo is winning me over right now. I hardly want to try it on another pair. It's that good with my music selection. Acoustic, IDM, EDM, Soundtracks, Rock, Pop. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back