The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Mar 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #4,516 of 5,999
How do we tell the mode the m8 is in (192 vs other)?

You need to use a player app that shows bit rate.  Just go back a few pages and see what ExpatinJapan did with with FLAC player and the Camera Connection Kit.  Or maybe the in the HiFi M8 appreciation thread...

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #4,517 of 5,999
  Bought a HiFi-M8 and use it with my iPod Classic. 

Like it a lot BUT I need a pouch/case for it.

Contacted Michael Goodman at Centrance and he recommend me to ask here - Anyone who knows where to get one?

Have looked at SF Bags and they have one for the "PS Vita" but it seems a bit narrow.

Let me know if you have thoughts!

I've ordered a bunch of stuff over the years from SF Bags (Waterfield). If you haven't already done so, go ahead and send them the dimensions. They're very responsive and I imagine will get back to you with some suggestions. The cases they make are precise fits (i.e., very tight) at first, but tend to loosen up with time. I'm considering picking up a Hifi-M8 and was just thinking about a suitable carrying case.

UPDATE: I went ahead and emailed Waterfield for some suggestions on suitable cases. I'll post their response as soon as I receive it. 

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #4,521 of 5,999
That's not a bag, it's a straight jacket! I wouldn't want to give my wife any ideas about my next purchase for my "hobby". I wonder if that "bag" would lead to constricted sound?

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #4,522 of 5,999
That's not a bag, it's a straigt jacket! I wouldn't want to give my wife any ideas about my next purchase for my "hobby". I wonder if that "bag" would lead to constricted sound?

Getting too much into snake oil territory, if it fit snug, might dampen external vibration from effecting internal components, but really, we are getting into the realm of the butterfly effect.
wink_face.gif

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #4,523 of 5,999
The HiFi-M8 just made InnerFidelity's Wall of Fame for headphone amplifiers -- it leads the portable headphone amp category.

Congrats to Michael and company!

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-headphone-amplifiers

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #4,526 of 5,999
Does anyone here use their M8 with an HE-6? Other than Jude I have not heard anyone else's opinion on this combo.
And for the record I know it should not be able to drive them, they need a speaker amp, bla, bla,. Please if you haven't heard the combo keep your opinion to yourself (because that is all it is).
I have been enjoying the s#!t out of mine for the last three months and it only keeps getting better. So it's not new toy syndrome and I have heard the HE-6 properly driven in a number of systems (worth 10x+ more than the M8) including out of the speaker taps of my restored sx-1250 with the new Sony HAP-S1 as source (only 2.2x the price of the M8). I am not saying they compare but it sure as hell beats carrying the 60lb sx-1250 around.
There is no way the M8 should be able to make the HE-6 sound as good as it does. 
Or is it just me?

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #4,527 of 5,999
  Does anyone here use their M8 with an HE-6? Other than Jude I have not heard anyone else's opinion on this combo.
And for the record I know it should not be able to drive them, they need a speaker amp, bla, bla,. Please if you haven't heard the combo keep your opinion to yourself (because that is all it is).
I have been enjoying the s#!t out of mine for the last three months and it only keeps getting better. So it's not new toy syndrome and I have heard the HE-6 properly driven in a number of systems (worth 10x+ more than the M8) including out of the speaker taps of my restored sx-1250 with the new Sony HAP-S1 as source (only 2.2x the price of the M8). I am not saying they compare but it sure as hell beats carrying the 60lb sx-1250 around.
There is no way the M8 should be able to make the HE-6 sound as good as it does. 
Or is it just me?

Interesting, my experience of the 6 suggests it should not be possible - this makes me want to try the M8 :)

Is it one of those things though where you don't feel like you're missing anything when you're listening to it, but it you'd notice the deficits in a quick A-B with a better system? I love my HE-6 from my Taurus MKII, and even though I've heard them better (from speaker taps on a 110W/channel Luxman integrated amp, I don't feel like I'm missing out when I do listen from my Taurus. If you know what I mean?

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #4,528 of 5,999

Interesting, my experience of the 6 suggests it should not be possible - this makes me want to try the M8 :)

Is it one of those things though where you don't feel like you're missing anything when you're listening to it, but it you'd notice the deficits in a quick A-B with a better system? I love my HE-6 from my Taurus MKII, and even though I've heard them better (from speaker taps on a 110W/channel Luxman integrated amp, I don't feel like I'm missing out when I do listen from my Taurus. If you know what I mean?

If my M8 makes it to the Auckland meet, we should be able to form out own opinion/impressions. :) 

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #4,529 of 5,999
Mar 21, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #4,530 of 5,999

I know what you mean.

The Hifi-M8 can be used to listen the the HE-6 but I wouldn't say that it drives them properly. I've got both by the way. It gets the HE-6 sounding good - as in detailed (the HE-6 characteristics) but without the dynamics and energy which gets the HE-6 driven great! Its like the HE-6 is in relaxed mode without the bass definition or slam. All that said - I still use them both together - its great taking the HE-6 to the garden and relaxing listening to music. I have a little tactic to get the M8 - HE-6 a bit louder - I just max out the bass and treble, this gets them singing a little bit more :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back