The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Sep 23, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #64 of 5,999
Quote:
So a single 4 pin XLR output then?

Yes.
Quote:

Yeah, I'd much rather see a more common balanced connector and 3.5mm for single ended.  Not sure if I'm interested in jumping on this as currently configured. Not a fan of having to use adapters.

Yeah. I don't think there's any 4 pin XLR combo jacks around. Else that could work, plus a 3.5mm output.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #65 of 5,999
Quote:

Yeah, I'd much rather see a more common balanced connector and 3.5mm for single ended.  Not sure if I'm interested in jumping on this as currently configured. Not a fan of having to use adapters.

Actually I'm going to back a bit on what I posted earlier. I'm not totally familiar with the different balanced connections, looking into it a little further I'd agree, it probably makes the most sense to use the standard 4 pin XLR and edited my previous posts accordingly.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #66 of 5,999
Hey, thanks a bunch, guys. The 4-pin XLR will fit into the hole for one of the combo jacks. Will prototype this week and let you know how it goes.

We can replace the other XLR combo jack with a 1/4" HP jack and throw in a golden adapter from 1/4" to 3.5mm. Would that work? The concern is that while IEMs come with 3.5mm jacks, many large cans still ship with a 1/4" plug and on some you can't twist the larger part off to reveal a smaller 3.5mm plug inside.

It seems that by offering a 1/4" jack and a small 1/4"->3.5mm adapter that's not taking up much space we could accommodate those folks with large and small headphones. However if there is just a 3.5mm jack (in addition to balanced 4-pin XLR) the owners of larger headphones will be upset.

Thoughts?

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #67 of 5,999
Well, there are 1/4" to 3.5mm adaptors as well. The key to this issue of jacks is understanding the behaviour of the user of the Centrance, 1/4" HP users, and 3.5mm earphone/headphone users.

The main concern with not providing a 3.5mm output jack is portability. 
Headphones with 1/4" jacks are usually big. So the user can easily carry an adaptor in the case or bag since it's only such a small percentage of the headphones in terms of size. However, portable headphones and earphones (IEMs) with 3.5mm jacks are usually much smaller, and are for the portable market. So a 3.5mm-1/4" adapter is a significant size for this group of users.

Depending on the physical size of the M8, if it's not portable-friendly, then it's already missing the portable market, so the absence of the 3.5mm jack isn't a big concern. If it's indeed designed to be portable, and you want IEM users on it, then definitely consider the inclusion of the 3.5mm jack. For example, hopefully the size of an O2 (Objective amp) is the biggest you want to go with portability. It's about answering the questions: Will I move this from my desk to my lounge? Will I carry this to and fro home and office? Will I put this in my bag so I can listen to it on the train? Will I use it while walking? Basically the more portable it's, the more important it's to have a 3.5mm jack.

If the modified combo jack can accept 4 pin balanced XLR, and 1/4", then the other jack can just be 3.5mm jack? This way you cover most bases? Other than the balanced dual 3pin XLR, which from what I gather is pretty outdated. For this group of users, portability is of little concern, as such, I'm guessing they can provide their own adaptor to 4pin balanced XLR.

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #69 of 5,999
Quote:
Well, there are 1/4" to 3.5mm adaptors as well. The key to this issue of jacks is understanding the behaviour of the user of the Centrance, 1/4" HP users, and 3.5mm earphone/headphone users.

The main concern with not providing a 3.5mm output jack is portability. 
Headphones with 1/4" jacks are usually big. So the user can easily carry an adaptor in the case or bag since it's only such a small percentage of the headphones in terms of size. However, portable headphones and earphones (IEMs) with 3.5mm jacks are usually much smaller, and are for the portable market. So a 3.5mm-1/4" adapter is a significant size for this group of users.

Depending on the physical size of the M8, if it's not portable-friendly, then it's already missing the portable market, so the absence of the 3.5mm jack isn't a big concern. If it's indeed designed to be portable, and you want IEM users on it, then definitely consider the inclusion of the 3.5mm jack. For example, hopefully the size of an O2 (Objective amp) is the biggest you want to go with portability. It's about answering the questions: Will I move this from my desk to my lounge? Will I carry this to and fro home and office? Will I put this in my bag so I can listen to it on the train? Will I use it while walking? Basically the more portable it's, the more important it's to have a 3.5mm jack.

If the modified combo jack can accept 4 pin balanced XLR, and 1/4", then the other jack can just be 3.5mm jack? This way you cover most bases? Other than the balanced dual 3pin XLR, which from what I gather is pretty outdated. For this group of users, portability is of little concern, as such, I'm guessing they can provide their own adaptor to 4pin balanced XLR.

I figured my lunch at work was going to be spent writing a post in defense of a 3.5mm jack but this pretty much covers my thoughts and written in a much better way than I probably would have been able to.

I'll just add that I'd much prefer to use something like the Grado 1/4" to 1/8" adapter than the average 1/8" to 1/4" adapter which adds quite a bit of bulk. That said, if the included adapter didn't add significant bulk, as in something like this one from V-Moda, it might be ok but I still think it will turn off a number off a number of potential customers.

Quote:
3.5mm outs are not as durable as their 1/4inch counterparts which I reckon is a huge concern with the M8. For those with balanced headphones terminated with xlr4, this will sure be a welcome move.

Is there any data out there that says a 3.5mm jack is not as durable as a 1/4"? How many portable amps have you heard of with jack durability issues?

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #71 of 5,999
Quote:
Is there any data out there that says a 3.5mm jack is not as durable as a 1/4"? How many portable amps have you heard of with jack durability issues?

I guess its more of a experience thing than factual data, I have spoilt quite a few amps, whether on portable devices or some of the entry-level amplification. I admit I had not experience high end ones break yet but the pins on a 1/4" jack panel mounted/pcb mounted appear more durable than a regular 3.5mm one.

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #72 of 5,999
I jump for joy that there is a tone function for your new amp and the impedence control is what I really want. I also stress the importance of having a really black background for iem. U can see from my signature I am selling one such amps that hiss 24/7 even without plugging in anything... Can't take the hiss anymore, it may sound very good, but that hiss make it sound like a cassette deck player from the 80s.

I will be living in this thread till it launch. .. I am in..:wink:

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #73 of 5,999
New Centrance Blog post, and back panel pic:
http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2012/09/25/back-panel-controls/

We have not yet received the formal approval from Apple, so we have some restrictions on what we can and cannot say. But it’s official — HiFi-M8 will support iPhone, iPad and iPod.

Saying it will be compatible with iPad, means it will be compatible with the old 30pin connector. Then it will be odd if the M8 isn't compatible with the new iPhone 5, or other new devices with Lightning connectors. Reading up on the CLAS's blog reveals that the Lightning connector works fine with it. So I'm assuming that they will all work the same in extracting data, thus Apple supplied usb dock connector cables will work for all respective iOS devices.

So my question is:

Will USB-->'iOS devices' cables be provided? Especially shorter ones for the iPhone.

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #75 of 5,999
Quote:
New Centrance Blog post, and back panel pic:
http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2012/09/25/back-panel-controls/

Saying it will be compatible with iPad, means it will be compatible with the old 30pin connector. Then it will be odd if the M8 isn't compatible with the new iPhone 5, or other new devices with Lightning connectors. Reading up on the CLAS's blog reveals that the Lightning connector works fine with it. So I'm assuming that they will all work the same in extracting data, thus Apple supplied usb dock connector cables will work for all respective iOS devices.

So my question is:

Will USB-->'iOS devices' cables be provided? Especially shorter ones for the iPhone.

HAHahha nice ..very nice.. i love the design. This is the mother of all portable amp. Never seen anything quite like this before. Amazing amount of function from laptop to Ipod unbelieveable, and they say the SQ is as good as DacMini if not better.. my goodness,, I am speechless.

please launch now. I am ready Mr Goodman., I am ready..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back