The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jan 5, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #5,207 of 5,999
Steve Guttenburg reviewed the Hugo and compared it to the CEntrance; he loves the CEntrance, but (at 4 times the price or so) the Hugo is MUCH better according to his write up. Haven't ever heard the Hugo, really curious to have a listen.

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #5,208 of 5,999
oops, double post

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #5,209 of 5,999

thank you Jeff, can't wait to test them together :)

And after doing some research i think these two things should connect an iphone 4 to the m8 LX.
does this work and if so, does it do hires?

30pin to USB-A: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00OB5IH5U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A326X3AG3XUTK4

USB-A to USB-B: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003THTFYI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A4OWIYSTAAKZQ

I don't believe you are correct.  LXs don't play with iPhones, unless with a CCK...

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #5,210 of 5,999

thank you Jeff, can't wait to test them together :)

And after doing some research i think these two things should connect an iphone 4 to the m8 LX.
does this work and if so, does it do hires?

30pin to USB-A: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00OB5IH5U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A326X3AG3XUTK4

USB-A to USB-B: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003THTFYI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A4OWIYSTAAKZQ

On the LX none of these will work. The first is the cable you get with the MX for iDevices. The second is, I believe, a USB 3.0 version and won't fit the LX or none LX version either.

I have been looking for a long time for a correct USB-A to USB-B male-male connector or very short cable I could find a couple of them. The cheapest one I ordered, but have not yet received, is part of this set:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00932CID8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

I will combine that with this Apple CCK cable:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #5,211 of 5,999
Before the Lightning CCK, I believe there used to be a 30 pin CCK.  For the iPhone 4, you might need that instead....

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #5,212 of 5,999
thanks to both of you. so i know that i need the cck (i already have the 30pin cck for my iphone 4) just need another usb-a-b cable. i hoped for a little smaller connection but this will work fine.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #5,213 of 5,999
OK, I'm confused, so far have found this gadget impossible to use. Nothing has worked so far. I'll order another otg cable, have cck on order, so I can't use it with portable players, figured I'd connect to my PC, compare it to my Geek Out Special Edition. Why not? Just downloaded a super hi rez version Joni Mitchell's Blue (24/192 from the Pono store), had a few minutes to play. So far, so good. I use JRiver 19 (and Pono 29, which is a slightly modified JRiver 20). So, I connect the CEntrance to my Vaunix Lab Brick powered USB hub, download the drivers (happens automatically), so far, so good. Go to Pono 20 Player, look for playback options, under Audio Devices, sure enough, the Geek options are there, and also so are CEntrance UD [ASIO], CEntrance USB Audio [WASPI], CEntrance USB Audio [direct sound]. Had the same options, more or less, with Geek Out, so, I tried them all, had the Centrance set to usb, and what happened? Nada. No sound, didn't matter which setting I had it on. I don't get this stuff. Should just stick with my turntable. Too old for this stuff. Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?
(As an aside, plugged the GO SE back in, connected my Final Audio Design Hope VI, put them on, WOW!!! These aren't hard to drive cans, so power isn't the issue playing through them. This is goosebump territory! Maybe I'm better off not comparing...)

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #5,214 of 5,999
I'm kinda tempted to ask... Is it the plug connected? Battery is charged?

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #5,215 of 5,999
Plugged in (battery should be charged as well, but it is connected to the big charger), have done that sort of thing, but, no, wish it were just that. The PC read the CEntrance when I connected (not until I switched it to usb mode), prompted me do download the files needed to use it, so it does "see" it, but something, likely in settings, not letting me listen through the CEntrance.

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #5,216 of 5,999
The only other solution I can think about is getting a Macbook from a friend and try using that, it's driver free and should work immediately, what about the optical input? Any chance to see if that works?

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #5,217 of 5,999
Don't really have a source to use the optical output with. I've been wondering about that input...the original dope on the CEntrance was that it was "crowd designed" with help from the good folks at Head Fi. Was there really this big clamoring for the source to be an optical input? Coax would have made so much more sense, seems to me. the A & K players are the main ones I know that do optical. Some high end transports/CD players do, but it would seem silly to route the signal from a high end player to the CEntrance.
I do have an aging iMac, which is slow as molasses, errors galore, have to reboot it constantly to do anything on it. I guess I could try it there...

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #5,218 of 5,999
AK players were mainly the idea for the optical.
At the time the idea of coax was floated about but was nixed, also many if the Daps around now 'Fiio, ibasso etc didnt exist at that time.

I think the up and coming Hifi-m8 mini has more inputs.

The Hifi-m8 was to be a jack of all trades, many cooks cooking the broth.

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #5,219 of 5,999
Well, so far it's been a bust on this end, but it is getting me to appreciate the Geek Out Special Edition (and, I thought THAT was not user friendly when I got it...sheeesh!). I'm not sure about that chronology, the X3 has been around for a while, can get coax from many players, just seems an odd choice to me. My old Squeezebox has coax out, if I'm not mistaken. Oh well, soon may have to think about ditching this thing (and I never sell my stuff).

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #5,220 of 5,999
Well the ps3 has an optical output :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back