The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Dec 27, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #5,161 of 5,999
I just got the M8 LX today, but I seem to be missing something. I generally use Android devices, have HTC 1 M8, and iBasso DX90, Pono, and X3 (I do have an iPad 3 and 2 iPod Touch, older, but don't use them much, most music is with the Pono and DX90 when I want portable). I can't figure how to connect these devices-at first I thought I must have the wrong version of the M8, because I couldn't find how to connect my devices (and the box just says M8). As usual with these mail order gadgets, the inclosed instructions, and the on line versions I've found, are fairly useless. Do I need a special cable? Will this work (the Massdrop and other sites say it does work with Android). Any help? Thanks.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #5,163 of 5,999
Also this is a dac/amp. Not an amp-it wont work with thise devices if you are looking for an amp.

Apple, some android with the usb audio recorder pro app, And the astell kern players for the LX version.

The apple products only work with the LX version if you use the camera connection kit.

These queries would have been better prepurchase :wink:

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #5,164 of 5,999
I just got the M8 LX today, but I seem to be missing something. I generally use Android devices, have HTC 1 M8, and iBasso DX90, Pono, and X3 (I do have an iPad 3 and 2 iPod Touch, older, but don't use them much, most music is with the Pono and DX90 when I want portable). I can't figure how to connect these devices-at first I thought I must have the wrong version of the M8, because I couldn't find how to connect my devices (and the box just says M8). As usual with these mail order gadgets, the inclosed instructions, and the on line versions I've found, are fairly useless. Do I need a special cable? Will this work (the Massdrop and other sites say it does work with Android). Any help? Thanks.

I tested my m8 lx with my coworkers verizon HTC 1 m8, and it did not work stock (pandora, spotify, etc). I wasn't about to install UAPP on her phone but I am guessing that would work. You need a usb OTG cable or adapter for android phones in order to use them with the hifi-m8 (or any dac for that matter). They are available on amazon for like $2-3.

For more informaton that I'm not interested in typing, search my recent posts in this thread, or just search this thread for words like 'android' or 'otg'. Enjoy your new equipment!

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #5,165 of 5,999
Ok, thanks, I did start out searching for how this might work, didn't come up with much. Have to look specifically for that cable and UAPP (which I know nothing about). Seems I can get it to work with phone, from your post, but not Pono or DX90. Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #5,166 of 5,999
Thanks for all the help, looking at the links, should work OK. I do have the older Samsung YPP player and my phone. Have been using Neutron on my HTC One, though the other players are my main music sources...have to check on using Tidal, which I have on most devices, and I have the camera connector, play with the iPad as well (the camera connector doesn't play well with my older iPod Touches).
You're right about doing this before you buy...what happens when you go for these time limited things at the last minute (at least, what happens to me). It was on Massdrop (really like not having to call it "the site that can't be named" anymore...), and I checked the write ups on it, which were amazing, and just grabbed it at the last minute. It does seem like a very cool gadget, though.

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #5,167 of 5,999
I was surprised and disappointed also, that you can't just use the M8 as an amp only.

Not sure why it was built that way???
confused.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #5,168 of 5,999
is there a possibility to use the same m8 for an iphone and a cd player? i think this would be my main input options when buying it but it seems i have to decide between one or the other. possible the cck helps or is there any disavdantage?

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #5,169 of 5,999
is there a possibility to use the same m8 for an iphone and a cd player? i think this would be my main input options when buying it but it seems i have to decide between one or the other. possible the cck helps or is there any disavdantage?

Sappy

The only way would be if:
Iphone using camera connection kit
Cd player if the cd player has optical out

I actually got the m8 with optical in bec i thought it would be more robust in connections.
I use ak player via optical and the iphone/laptop using usb.

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #5,170 of 5,999
The only way would be if:
Iphone using camera connection kit
Cd player if the cd player has optical out

so there is no problems using the iphone with camera connection kit on the m8 which isnt intended for idevices? at the moment i am usong the iphone with camera connection kit and the hrt microstreamer which works just fine.

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #5,171 of 5,999
so there is no problems using the iphone with camera connection kit on the m8 which isnt intended for idevices? at the moment i am usong the iphone with camera connection kit and the hrt microstreamer which works just fine.

Have the hifi m8 playing through my pair of jvc fxz200 connected to iphone 6 plus via cck and usb. You could also make out the optical in next to the usb port.

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #5,173 of 5,999
Google uapp, find a download for Mac, not much else. I have an HTC one M8, also on older Samsung YPP player(their version of the iPod touch), wondering how to set it up. (also have a Pono and the DX90, which I believe are Android underneath, but I suspect they won't work). Thanks for any help.

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #5,174 of 5,999
...I use ak player via optical and the iphone/laptop using usb.

Has anyone determined which has a better DAC (spec and sound wise)? The AK240 or the M8?

It would be a shame to have to use my 240 digitally out (because there is no "amp only" option on the M8), into the CEntrance, only to lose the gains the the AK circuitry has to offer.

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #5,175 of 5,999

Has anyone determined which has a better DAC (spec and sound wise)? The AK240 or the M8?

It would be a shame to have to use my 240 digitally out (because there is no "amp only" option on the M8), into the CEntrance, only to lose the gains the the AK circuitry has to offer.

I have a hard time believing the M8's DAC could be superior to the AK240's dual DAC system.  I believe the mini-M8 has line in, but it lacks the horsepower the full sized M8 does...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back