The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Sep 19, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #3,571 of 5,999
I know it's a bit off topic here, but some of you may be using the iPod touch 5g with the M8 so here's a quick thought....

I updated to ios7. What a disappointment as far as the music player app (the main thing I use it for). Bright white background with red text and dead flat (no 3D effect as in ios6). Much more scrolling required due to the way album/artist lists are now displayed. It looks unfinished as well, I just don't get it.

A complete strain on the eyes. Crazy bad. The previous music player app was perfection. I can understand a few tweaks but this is drastically different.

I'm not one to complain much, and I don't frequent any Apple boards so I'm not on a crusade to post all over the internet about it. But I thought it worth mentioning, if you are using a touch 5g for music only, maybe avoid updating as long as possible. I understand you can't go back.

Consider this a public service announcement, LOL.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #3,573 of 5,999
  what does this mean for the Hifi-M8?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682222/ios7-iphone-and-apple-cck

Does it mean 24/96 functionality will be here soon?

very curious as i just finished reading this whole post.
Still waiting for my hifim8 and if it isnt far away from cracking the coding I will wait to get mine. As long as i get it before CES.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #3,574 of 5,999
If my microStreamer can do 24/96 with the CCK on iOS7, I'm pretty sure the HiFi-M8 can too (using the normal USB input, not iDevice input).

I feel like buying a CCK later to test it.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #3,575 of 5,999
  what does this mean for the Hifi-M8?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682222/ios7-iphone-and-apple-cck

Does it mean 24/96 functionality will be here soon?

Does somebody with an M8, an iDevice updated to iOS 7, and a CCK or Lightning-to-USB dongle want to try connecting to the USB B port to see if it works? 

If it works, is anyone thinking of ordering the LX version over the iDevice one to use with their iPhone/iPod Touch?

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #3,576 of 5,999
I just tested the iPhone 5 with iOS 7 update using the KERO LOD which is certified and works fine. I also tried a cheap eBay lightning to USB and worked fine also but got a warning that it's not certified and may not work. Using both cables, the hifi-m8 shows up in the settings menu in the iPhone.

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #3,578 of 5,999
VERY VERY important news this CKK-> USB compatibility up to 24/96 with iOS7 !  

Does this mean that with iOS7, we do NOT need anymore the  iDevice version of the M8 and we can use the M8-LX  instead with our iPhone ?

I am very interested because I could swap my M8 on back order for a LX version in order to be able to also use it with my AK100 DAP !

Also, could someone give me a link to the  KERO LOD  so that I can see what it is ?

thanks

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #3,579 of 5,999
Yup. I'm really torn whether I should change my preorder to the LX version now. Has anyone confirmed the Hifi-M8 works 24/96+ through the regular USB input with iOS7 devices? I have a 4th gen iPad that I would like to use with the Hifi-M8, but I would also love to "future proof" it in case I get into any of the higher end optical out capable DAPs and I could definitely live with the iOS connection being a little "bootleg" if it meant getting a optical input as well.

Fark it. I'm e-mailing Centrance.

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #3,580 of 5,999
Two things:

1) The CCK functionality might be a "happy accident" that Apple could kill with any update.  It would be a shame for iDevice owners to run to the LX model, only to find out it no longer works after Apple makes it go away, on a whim...

2) I have a hunch that Michael knew that 24/96 functionality would be attainable on IOS7, and not sooner.  So maybe folks should wait and see, before jumping the idevice ship...

If I had an AK100/AK120 I would be all over the LX myself.  Because if I lost the CCK bonus, down the road, I would still have a portable solution.

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #3,582 of 5,999

Does somebody with an M8, an iDevice updated to iOS 7, and a CCK or Lightning-to-USB dongle want to try connecting to the USB B port to see if it works? 

If it works, is anyone thinking of ordering the LX version over the iDevice one to use with their iPhone/iPod Touch?

I just tested the iPhone 5 with iOS 7 update using the KERO LOD which is certified and works fine. I also tried a cheap eBay lightning to USB and worked fine also but got a warning that it's not certified and may not work. Using both cables, the hifi-m8 shows up in the settings menu in the iPhone.

DanniBai -- I know I replied back to you already, but I just realized you might have tested the standard USB A port connection under iOS 7, not the USB B port connection.  Did you connect your iPhone to the USB B port on your M8?  The USB B port is the more-square-looking one on the far left, not the short rectangular USB A port towards the middle of the panel.

I'm curious (as are others) to see if one can now connect an iPhone to an M8 like a computer would and play audio.  The USB B port is on both the iDevice and LX versions of the M8. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #3,583 of 5,999

DanniBai -- I know I replied back to you already, but I just realized you might have tested the standard USB A port connection under iOS 7, not the USB B port connection.  Did you connect your iPhone to the USB B port on your M8?  The USB B port is the more-square-looking one on the far left, not the short rectangular USB A port towards the middle of the panel.

I'm curious (as are others) to see if one can now connect an iPhone to an M8 like a computer would and play audio.  The USB B port is on both the iDevice and LX versions of the M8. 

Yes, you can.  Tried it today after checking in here with my iPhone 4S and it works fine.  IOS 7 allows the CCK to work on the phone as it does with the iPad.  Checked it with my Apex Glacier via mini USB and that worked as well.

Sep 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #3,585 of 5,999

I only used the standard A port.  I do not have a lightning cable with the B port connection or am I missing something here that I am able to do this?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back