The Cars Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame
Oct 17, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 15
These are the nominees? http://rockhall.com/inductees/

Great band - I'm a fan - they might get second ahead of NIN, who haven't really done anything good since The Fragile IMO, but no way I could put em ahead of The Smiths sorry! 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 15
  These are the nominees? http://rockhall.com/inductees/

Great band - I'm a fan - they might get second ahead of NIN, who haven't really done anything good since The Fragile IMO, but no way I could put em ahead of The Smiths sorry! 
tongue_smile.gif

Chicago is in the lead as it stands right now, Cars are in 2nd place barely ahead of Deep Purple and Steve Miller

Honestly, unsure how much the fan vote counts, Deep Purple was up there the last time and weren't inducted

The Smiths, N.W.A., Yes and NIN aren't registering, frankly as influential as The Smiths and N.W.A. have been really think both should get in

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 15
the cars - outstanding band.  outstanding album. very underrated by the general public, i think.

get this first album in 24/44 and your ears will go WHOOSH!  the phase shifts are so much bigger, the instruments and voices so much clearer than the 16/44 version.

awesome pick ,of course they deserve to be in the hall of fame.  all time legends.

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 15

My favorite album of all time, raw, weird, New Wave/Alt meets Pop, best album cover ever, Vargas paints a real Candy (google that)

"It's All I Can Do," never released as a single, never performed live, something personal was going on here, might be the single greatest song of all time.

"Dangerous Type" "Got A Lot On My Head" "Double Life" are the highlights, the singles "Lets Go" and "Candy-O" are meh

My favorite albums in order:  Candy-O>The Cars>Panorama>Shake It Up>Heartbeat City>Door To Door

The last album was fine and better than 1/2 of Door To Door

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #9 of 15
The Cars and Candy-O are really good albums, but I don't rate Panorama or Shake It Up tbh. Heartbeat City may be slick and poppy, but it just has better, catchier songs than those two. Double Life is definitely a highlight on Candy-O - might just be my favourite Cars track.

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 15
  The Cars and Candy-O are really good albums, but I don't rate Panorama or Shake It Up tbh. Heartbeat City may be slick and poppy, but it just has better, catchier songs than those two. Double Life is definitely a highlight on Candy-O - might just be my favourite Cars track.

Panorama has grown on me over the years, it's Ocasek's favorite

Mutt Lange overproduced from the mid-80's forward and his hand all over Heartbeat City, that being said it is still a great album 

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #11 of 15
I'm a big fan of Ben Orr's voice. I learned a few years back that he was Benjamin Orzechowski, a pole from Cleveland. Made me love him more :wink:

I like most the Cars' albums but that first one is something special. Every song is just banging, with very concise writing.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #12 of 15
  Their debut album.

Story about how long the photographer worked on that cover shot -- an earlier version had the clear steering wheel over her skin tone and the censors felt it looked too much like a penis shape next to her open mouth, like she was in a blow-job position.  

They had to move her arms around and get the steering wheel to take on something other than a skin tone to imply that she was driving.  Hence the blue light and the inner wheel showing.

But the band like the BJ idea so they pushed back with the way her left hand is positioned on the wheel - she's positioned her hand to imply sucking, not driving. They also printed several different colorized versions to try to get the most skin-tone allowed in the glass wheel nearest to her mouth.

Isn't censorship fun?

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #13 of 15

Story about how long the photographer worked on that cover shot -- an earlier version had the clear steering wheel over her skin tone and the censors felt it looked too much like a penis shape next to her open mouth, like she was in a blow-job position.  

They had to move her arms around and get the steering wheel to take on something other than a skin tone to imply that she was driving.  Hence the blue light and the inner wheel showing.

But the band like the BJ idea so they pushed back with the way her left hand is positioned on the wheel - she's positioned her hand to imply sucking, not driving. They also printed several different colorized versions to try to get the most skin-tone allowed in the glass wheel nearest to her mouth.

Isn't censorship fun?

You betcha, 

The double entendre a Cars specialty                                 

Oct 23, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #14 of 15
Great band...have all of their albums

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 15
  I'm a big fan of Ben Orr's voice. I learned a few years back that he was Benjamin Orzechowski, a pole from Cleveland. Made me love him more :wink:

I like most the Cars' albums but that first one is something special. Every song is just banging, with very concise writing.

Ben Orr's voice, face and bass.  Incredible talent and such a loss (pancreatic cancer).  Ben was the rocker. His solo album I'll count as a victim of the mid-1980's silliness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back