The burn-up dilemma
May 22, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 12
From this Anandtech FAQ:

Quote:

In semiconductor manufacturing terminology "burn-in" is a stage of the production flow after packaging in which the CPU is placed in an elevated temperature environment and is stressed at atypical operating conditions. The end goal of this is to dramatically reduce the statistical probability of "infant mortality" failures of product on the street.
[...]
Burn-in is designed to catch the initial failures before the product is shipped to customers...

The burn-in stage is done in chambers such as these.

More definitions of burn-in are here. They all more-or-less agree with one another.

D.

May 22, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 12
Break in is usually used with a mechanical device or activity whereas burn in is used with electrical components. I would think break in is more appropriate for headphones since I believe the primary change is the mechanical suspension of the speakers.

May 22, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 12
Well...I guess you're technically "breaking" the spider on a driver when you use it, on speakers anyway...umm...that's why it makes more sense to me...
confused.gif

May 22, 2004 at 9:43 AM Post #8 of 12
"Play-in" and "run-in" sound so much better. Don't like to use the words "break" or "burn" in the same sentence as expensive gear.

May 22, 2004 at 10:24 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeliao
"Play-in" and "run-in" sound so much better. Don't like to use the words "break" or "burn" in the same sentence as expensive gear.

That's the inherent violence (violence is too strong a word though) of North American culture finding it's way into slang terminology? I'm not being provocative or sarcastic.

May 22, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
That's the inherent violence (violence is too strong a word though) of North American culture finding it's way into slang terminology? I'm not being provocative or sarcastic.

Absolutely... Here in America, we have violent names for everything.
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #11 of 12
In the case of the HD280 Pro, I'd burn them in by setting 'em on fire...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 22, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
The Dutch say (translated) 'play-in'. which to me makes the most sence. You let your gear play music.

Cars we 'drive-in'

Yeah, but speakers are drivers...hence 'drive-in' should technically work too.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back