The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Aug 8, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #947 of 1,323
  Does anyone here know where i can get the EDT 1350 SL Ear Pads in Australia or somewhere that ships to Australia? Ive been searching for ages and i just cant find them stocked anywhere and if they are stocked they don't ship to Australia.

Also, are the "EDT 1350 SL" the best ear pads to get to lessen the clamping force with the DT1350's?

Cheers.

Update regarding these.

I was able to get the pads off headphonic. They ordered some in from beyer for me. Top service from these guys, they are legends.

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #948 of 1,323

That's what I think about them too... really good, especially given their size. A fantastic portable headphone that works well with even mobile sources of limited power such as a smartphone.

Based on the generally excellent reviews on this site, I am contemplating the DT1350 CC in the current Massdrop offer, but have also been looking at the T51p.  My main use would be as a portable out of my laptop, iPad, or iPod Classic without a separate DAC or amp.  My reason for considering the T51p is the lower (32 vs 80 ohm) impedance.  Should I forgo the DT1350 in favor of the T51p for this reason alone?  I would be disappointed to find out later that I need to amp the DT1350 to unlock their potential.

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #949 of 1,323

Based on the generally excellent reviews on this site, I am contemplating the DT1350 CC in the current Massdrop offer, but have also been looking at the T51p.  My main use would be as a portable out of my laptop, iPad, or iPod Classic without a separate DAC or amp.  My reason for considering the T51p is the lower (32 vs 80 ohm) impedance.  Should I forgo the DT1350 in favor of the T51p for this reason alone?  I would be disappointed to find out later that I need to amp the DT1350 to unlock their potential.

In short: No. The DT1350 is very efficient and I don't see any need for an amp for volume alone as it goes much louder than I'd like to listen directly out of an iPhone.
Personally I prefer the more linear tuning of the DT1350, besides its one-sided cable. Of course the T51p is more comfortable and can be had with a remote (T51i). But as I use it for DJing as well the DT1350 is a better fit for my needs.

Both headphones may scale up with a better dac/amp, but I don't think thats necessary for mobile use except if you're listening at very high levels. Of course this is a very personal thing... but I think I'd start out with the DT1350 anyway -- should be rather easy to sell in case you're not satisfied.

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #950 of 1,323
Though i never use mine with an amp and sound great without one, they will respond a bit to amplification. They sound amazing with a Zo from digizoid and my meier jazz

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #951 of 1,323

The DT1350 does respond well to amping, but also is quite pleasing directly out of a laptop or DAP.  If you go T51p, you'll get a warmer more bass present experience.  But I feel the sub bass is superior on the T51p...

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #952 of 1,323

In short: No. The DT1350 is very efficient and I don't see any need for an amp for volume alone as it goes much louder than I'd like to listen directly out of an iPhone.
Personally I prefer the more linear tuning of the DT1350, besides its one-sided cable. Of course the T51p is more comfortable and can be had with a remote (T51i). But as I use it for DJing as well the DT1350 is a better fit for my needs.

Both headphones may scale up with a better dac/amp, but I don't think thats necessary for mobile use except if you're listening at very high levels. Of course this is a very personal thing... but I think I'd start out with the DT1350 anyway -- should be rather easy to sell in case you're not satisfied.

Though i never use mine with an amp and sound great without one, they will respond a bit to amplification. They sound amazing with a Zo from digizoid and my meier jazz

The DT1350 does respond well to amping, but also is quite pleasing directly out of a laptop or DAP.  If you go T51p, you'll get a warmer more bass present experience.  But I feel the sub bass is superior on the T51p...

I certainly appreciate the prompt replies.  These comments are extremely helpful.  I have a JDS Labs C5 (and really like it with my current headphones), but don't always want to travel with the extra gear.  I don't use my headphones with my phone so the added remote feature available on the T51 is not important to me.  I do like the other unique design features (split headband, single entry cable) of the DT1350 compared to the T51, and believe, based on your descriptions of the sound signatures of the DT1350 and T51, that my tastes are inclined toward the more analytical sound of the DT1350.  Analytical may not be the correct description, but I am not usually drawn to headphones with boosted bass.  So the current price on the drop is about $175 with shipping...so price is another factor which makes the DT1350 very attractive...especially since the current price for the T51 is in the neighborhood of $300.  Looks like I will be joining the drop.

Thanks again for all the help. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #954 of 1,323
One other question...any experience with use of the DT1350 for air travel...do they isolate well enough?

They're best in class for isolation on a supra aural headphone.

As for air travel I wouldn't have a clue. 5 minutes after take off I go pretty much totally deaf - I can only hear my own breathing and heartbeat for most of the flight. Then on the way down it happens again. I remain that way until about an hour after landing. Which, for me, means there's little point in trying to listen to music on a flight.

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #955 of 1,323
  One other question...any experience with use of the DT1350 for air travel...do they isolate well enough?

While these are probably the best isolating headphones, isolation below 1 kHz ist still poor. I can't recommend using them on public transport, let alone air travel. Some of the better isolating IEMs would be my advice.

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #956 of 1,323
My M50s are better for isolation, which are over ear.  I like the DT1350s far more sound wise, just not great for keeping out jet noise...

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #958 of 1,323
Quote:

While these are probably the best isolating headphones, isolation below 1 kHz ist still poor. I can't recommend using them on public transport, let alone air travel. Some of the better isolating IEMs would be my advice.

My M50s are better for isolation, which are over ear.  I like the DT1350s far more sound wise, just not great for keeping out jet noise...

Thanks...I pulled the trigger and joined the drop.  Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if the DT1350 turn out to be a poor choice for air travel...I can always fall back on my SE535...they do just fine.

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #959 of 1,323

It won't be a waste because the DT1350 is highly scalable and if you prefer the sound of an opened back, it can be modded to sound large by venting the cups.

The above photo was taken by Jay a.k.a. Knights of my DT1350.  I know, I know, that I will probably be pilloried for the sacrilege that it is.  Just saying, it is the most beautiful sounding 1350 I've heard (subjective, of course).  I cheated by drilling minute holes at the top of the cups right under the aluminum gimbals.  FYI it sounds like a mini T1.

Also replaced the pleather with velour pads. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #960 of 1,323
  The above photo was taken by Jay a.k.a. Knights of my DT1350.  I know, I know, that I will probably be pilloried for the sacrilege that it is.  Just saying, it is the most beautiful sounding 1350 I've heard (subjective, of course).  I cheated by drilling minute holes at the top of the cups right under the aluminum gimbals.  FYI it sounds like a mini T1.

Also replaced the pleather with velour pads. 

What are those Ortofon "nipples"? Why not have the cables coming out of the bottom of the cups? At least then you could close the cover of your case. You went to the trouble of hiding the ports under the gimbals, and then put on those straight-out cables
confused.gif

I thought the Nubuck pads (is that what you mean by "velour") would make them more comfortable, but there was not much improvement. They also resulted in major bass response loss for me, and I had to fill in the gap under the inside edge of the pads to recover the 1350's excellent bass. I think the softer T51p style pads are the way to go for comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back