The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Sep 1, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #4,321 of 12,548
Quote:

The main positive related to the 600 ohm versions of these headphones IMHO is that they're easy to power for most people and not fuzzy about what you plug them in. Anyone who has a AV receiver, integrated speaker amp, CD player, or any pretty much audio gear with a headphone jack on it, can plug the 600 ohm version in and get a very good sound out of them. With 32 ohm and 250ohm its different. While they might be easier to power for portable devices and cheap dedicated headphone amps, they wont be as versatile overall and will be much more sensitive to output impedance of the headphone jack. 600 ohm version pretty much doesn't care. It sounds even better when plugged into a high output impedance amp IMHO, less stiff, more fluid and natural.

Indeed, I also might be getting a PB1 for $80, at that price... it's cheaper than an O2. even AFTER I buy the Connector cable I need for it :O Yea people say the build quality is kinda meh but hell for the money it should last me plenty long, the only issue is if it sound bad 

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #4,322 of 12,548
Quote:

The main positive related to the 600 ohm versions of these headphones IMHO is that they're easy to power for most people and not fuzzy about what you plug them in. Anyone who has a AV receiver, integrated speaker amp, CD player, or any pretty much audio gear with a headphone jack on it, can plug the 600 ohm version in and get a very good sound out of them. With 32 ohm and 250ohm its different. While they might be easier to power for portable devices and cheap dedicated headphone amps, they wont be as versatile overall and will be much more sensitive to output impedance of the headphone jack. 600 ohm version pretty much doesn't care. It sounds even better when plugged into a high output impedance amp IMHO, less stiff, more fluid and natural.

True but it all depends on your situation. Lots of folks around here would never be plugging into anything besides portable devices, laptops, sound cards, and maybe a relatively low-end dedicated amp or two. In that case, IMO, you'd be worse off with the 600 ohm because you'd have challenges with volume while getting no real benefits from the 600 ohm version over the 250 or 32.

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #4,323 of 12,548
Quote:

True but it all depends on your situation. Lots of folks around here would never be plugging into anything besides portable devices, laptops, sound cards, and maybe a relatively low-end dedicated amp or two. In that case, IMO, you'd be worse off with the 600 ohm because you'd have challenges with volume while getting no real benefits from the 600 ohm version over the 250 or 32.

Hence is why I recommend the Pro 250 ohm, In addition the Pro 250 ohm is much cheaper new. 

But either way both ohm variants have their ups and downs. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #4,324 of 12,548
Mshenay -- I went to the expense of balancing and re-cabling my 880/600's, and they still sound the same as my 880/250's, at least with my amps.  Wasted my money.  But I do agree the sound is a great "all purpose" dynamic phone at a reasonable price.

Argyris -- agree 100% with your comments on Grado.  But you have to have some Grado stuff around, or you can't be a headphone addict, simple as that.  As to how to find a headphone-changing woman, the price is high.  Do not ask what you have to do for her to get her to do this.  In my case the cost was high: shoes too many to count, Persian rugs (cost the same as a Stax rig, and all you do is walk on it, not even a power supply), and finally I paid the the ultimate price (marriage).  As for wording the personal ad in this digital age, how about    <4U 0^0     (I will love you more than headphones).  If la femme responds to that, she's the one.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #4,325 of 12,548
Quote:
Mshenay -- I went to the expense of balancing and re-cabling my 880/600's, and they still sound the same as my 880/250's, at least with my amps.  Wasted my money.  But I do agree the sound is a great "all purpose" dynamic phone at a reasonable price.

Argyris -- agree 100% with your comments on Grado.  But you have to have some Grado stuff around, or you can't be a headphone addict, simple as that.  As to how to find a headphone-changing woman, the price is high.  Do not ask what you have to do for her to get her to do this.  In my case the cost was high: shoes too many to count, Persian rugs (cost the same as a Stax rig, and all you do is walk on it, not even a power supply), and finally I paid the the ultimate price (marriage).  As for wording the personal ad in this digital age, how about    <4U 0^0     (I will love you more than headphones).  If la femme responds to that, she's the one.

well I paid $235 for them, I just got a Balanced PB1 for like $55 dollars [nothing wrong with it either] and I'm going to get a chance to actually listen to a PB1 Db1 combo for a day or so, so I'll see how it plays it, but at the end of the day. The Audio GD will sound better with all my headphones than my current gear, not to mention the purchase of the pb1 has allowed me to sell my Jds Labs, and the new Beyer my K550, thus leaving me more funds to put towards the Audio GD, if I add in the fact that I'm going to be selling my Matrix M Stage an O Dac, the money from that sale and from the C5 K550 sale pratically pay for the Audio GD 10ES2. So all in all, I'll get to listen for my myself, and get to spend some time comparing the Dt 880s Balanced and Un Balanced [on 3 SE and 2 Balanced Amps]

So it's a expense I'm willing to take 

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #4,326 of 12,548
well I paid $235 for them, I just got a Balanced PB1 for like $55 dollars [nothing wrong with it either] and I'm going to get a chance to actually listen to a PB1 Db1 combo for a day or so, so I'll see how it plays it, but at the end of the day. The Audio GD will sound better with all my headphones than my current gear, not to mention the purchase of the pb1 has allowed me to sell my Jds Labs, and the new Beyer my K550, thus leaving me more funds to put towards the Audio GD, if I add in the fact that I'm going to be selling my Matrix M Stage an O Dac, the money from that sale and from the C5 K550 sale pratically pay for the Audio GD 10ES2. So all in all, I'll get to listen for my myself, and get to spend some time comparing the Dt 880s Balanced and Un Balanced [on 3 SE and 2 Balanced Amps]

So it's a expense I'm willing to take 

The PB1 is the iBasso balanced amp?

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #4,327 of 12,548
Quote:
The PB1 is the iBasso balanced amp?

It's the old one, the Pb2 is the new iBasso balanced amp the Db1 is also there balanced Dac 

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #4,328 of 12,548
Can some of you give your thoughts on how male vocals, guitar, and piano sound on these cans. Read one criticism stating that male vocals lack some heft or weight, though female vocals sound great. Then an in depth reviewer stated piano was plasticky sounding, guitar good but a little plastic sounding as well. Which ohm version he was discussing, I'm not sure.

Can anyone with the 600 ohm version shed some light on this.

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #4,329 of 12,548
Quote:
Can some of you give your thoughts on how male vocals, guitar, and piano sound on these cans. Read one criticism stating that male vocals lack some heft or weight, though female vocals sound great. Then an in depth reviewer stated piano was plasticky sounding, guitar good but a little plastic sounding as well. Which ohm version he was discussing, I'm not sure.

both ohms sound the same, you also need to know what he was reviewing out of 

It's not a paino but it's a delicate mids like a Piano, so this is one of my favorite songs, espially on the dt 880

again as far as guitars go... they don't sound plasticky to me, they have an edge to them a very metalic sound, which I'm not a fan of for rock music. How ever ironically they are excellent with metal! The warmth from all the heavy distorition stays very much in check

I some how ended up here... why did no one tell me Bucket head was instrumental rock :[ shame on you all xD

I'm thinking I'm going to go with Giant Robot as my first BucketHead Album <3

Yea I attempt one of the pikes... didn't dig it. But I can't pass judgement yet, just be glad my Dt 880 introduced me to... 90's Avant Grade Metal :D 

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #4,330 of 12,548
Quote:

Yea I attempt one of the pikes... didn't dig it. But I can't pass judgement yet, just be glad my Dt 880 introduced me to... 90's Avant Grade Garde Metal :D 

Corrected
redface.gif

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #4,331 of 12,548

My 880's sound great with rock/vocals, however I find that it's true female vocals are better than male vocals.

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #4,333 of 12,548
Quote:
Ahhhh Bucket Head... no burn it with fire now!

I agree, I enjoyed that show... got some of his Albums featureing songs from that show... ugh experimental wierd ness... I'd LIKE to burn it with fire BUT I muse seed it for 72 hours before I can q.q... I just want guitars, no weird crap in the back ground... just GUITAR, DRUM, BASS and that is all 

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #4,334 of 12,548
Quote:
Mshenay -- I went to the expense of balancing and re-cabling my 880/600's, and they still sound the same as my 880/250's, at least with my amps.  Wasted my money. 

Wow, this is a wonderfully honest post. In all my years on Head-Fi I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've read the words 'doesn't sound any different--wasted my money'. Could this herald a new era of refreshing candour?

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #4,335 of 12,548
Quote:

Wow, this is a wonderfully honest post. In all my years on Head-Fi I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've read the words 'doesn't sound any different--wasted my money'. Could this herald a new era of refreshing candour?

maybe 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back