The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Aug 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #4,306 of 12,548
Quote:

You could still say a lot that would be useful, though. The difference between those, if anything, is going to be subtle. The fundamental DT880 sound is going to be present in both, and if people read as far as "bright, airy, detailed, and neutral" and think that's not what I'm looking for, they won't like either version of the DT880. So even just commenting on the model you have will be very helpful to people who have no idea what to expect from the DT880 in any of its incarnations.

Very true, I've always recommend the Dt 880 when it's nessicary or rather when it's fitted.

But the nuances between the two are important for people who like the can as I did, still I suppose in all honesty the Pro 250 ohm is the better can due simply to it's being easier to drive and thus a more realistic at home and on the go headpphone, 

That said I'm still going to run my Dt 880 out of the Hm 801 and JDS Labs C5... still I may sell off my Akg K550 and C5 to purchase a better amp for the Beyers 

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #4,307 of 12,548
Like Argyris said - don't worry about it.  Even when I briefly had both together - the differences were so small I'd put it down to clamp and pad wear.  Too much is made about the 600 ohm being superior.  If I was ever buying again, the only reason for going 600ohm would be for pairing with an already existing/owned OTL tube amp.  Otherwise I'd go 250ohm.

I had both the 250 and 600 ohm versions together for awhile, and as many others have said, the differences are negligible. That said, with one portable amp I have, the ALO Rx-Mk3 B+ I did notice that the highs with the 600 ohm were smoother than with the 250. In a direct A/B comparison the highs were slightly grainy with the 250 ohm phones, but completely smooth with the 600 version. With some other amps I have I detected the same thing, but just barely. The ALO is the only one where it was immediately apparent.

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #4,308 of 12,548
I think Beyer themselves would tell you they were aiming for the identical sound on all three models, just making the three for better amp synergy.

And it's always about HP-amp synergy, isn't it?

As I posted earlier, with a good SS amp meant for high impedance HPs, there is no sonic diff between the 250 and the 600.  Proven over and over in A/B tests, with many Head-Fi'ers.

I used to be fooled, since I paid more for the 600's, I wanted them to be better.  That's why we do blind tests.  Plus I like the tactile experience of the headphone-changing woman standing behind me taking one pair off me and putting on the other while my eyes are closed.  Tight.  Thinking about ... oh yea, the music.

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #4,309 of 12,548
Quote:
Plus I like the tactile experience of the headphone-changing woman standing behind me taking one pair off me and putting on the other while my eyes are closed.  Tight.  Thinking about ... oh yea, the music.

Where does one find one of these headphone-changing women? How does one word the advert asking for applications?

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #4,310 of 12,548
Hi, very first post here (well, second now). I have read through the forums, and see a lot of people pointing out that the Grado SR 225i's are bright and so are the Beyer's. They seem to be thrown into the same category, perhaps for that reason alone.

I'm getting the Beyer's first, a big step up from some Audio Technica MTH-M30s I have. I know that the Beyer's are very neutral, but not sterile by any means. I also have a tube amp that should give them enough juice. I'm using an Apogee Duet II to serve as my DAC. Though the Beyer dt 800/600's are supposed to be great, I'd like a *fun* (read: musical, euphonic) pair to go with them. Are there enough differences to justify getting the Grado's as my pair after the Beyer's? I've read that the 225i's complement the Sennheiser HD600's well. So I was wondering if anyone has both, or have tried both, and have any thoughts on this. I choose the 225i's because this is apparently the sweet spot in that particular lineup.

Please don't flame the newbie! Thanks for all incoming advice.

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #4,311 of 12,548
I had a pair of SR225i for a few weeks before I bought the DT880. They're both definitely on the bright side, but they're not really alike in many other respects. The DT880 is more refined, has a wider soundstage, is more extended on both ends, and is much more neutral than the SR225i. The SR225i has more midrange and a punchier mid bass than the DT880. It's also more intimate in presentation. They might complement one another, but not in the traditional "one bright and neutral, one darker and euphonic" sense. The SR225i is more euphonic, but in an energetic way, not a laid back way.

Grados are a love-it-or-hate-it sort of thing. I strongly suggest you find a way of hearing one or else making sure the place you're buying from has a good return policy before trying a Grado. I don't mean to scare you off the idea--lots of people like the sound (including me) and you might, too. But nothing else sounds like a Grado. You'd definitely have to hear it to understand. The only reason I didn't keep mine was that I was looking for something to use as an all arounder, and that sound just didn't work for me for that application. The DT880 is a much better fit for general purpose listening, and now that I have it I wouldn't mind a dose of Grado coloration now and again.

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #4,312 of 12,548
That's a great explanation, Argyris, thank you. Do you find your Beyer's fatiguing after long periods of use (a good 2-4 hours of listening)? That seems to be the only other concern I have with them after reading some reviews.

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #4,313 of 12,548
They can be slightly fatiguing, but only if you play a lot of really poorly-recorded, overly trebly material through them. A lot of people don't even have trouble in that case, so it will vary by the person. The best way of putting it is that the DT880 is somewhat unforgiving and sometimes brutal, which is how bright-leaning headphones usually tend to be.

There's always EQ as well. The treble is easy enough to tame if you end up feeling it's a bit too much.

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #4,314 of 12,548
I think Beyer themselves would tell you they were aiming for the identical sound on all three models, just making the three for better amp synergy.

And it's always about HP-amp synergy, isn't it?

As I posted earlier, with a good SS amp meant for high impedance HPs, there is no sonic diff between the 250 and the 600.  Proven over and over in A/B tests, with many Head-Fi'ers.

I used to be fooled, since I paid more for the 600's, I wanted them to be better.  That's why we do blind tests.  Plus I like the tactile experience of the headphone-changing woman standing behind me taking one pair off me and putting on the other while my eyes are closed.  Tight.  Thinking about ... oh yea, the music.

agreed I recommend the 250s over the 600 alot. I did get a used balanced n recabled 600 ohm for the price of a new pro 250 n it sounds just as i remember my okd pro 250 sounding. Although i do like the idea of balancing a 600 ohm. Where as a 250 might not synergize as well with a balanced amp. Considering all the extra power balancing yeilds

still out of my matrix m stage they both sound the same

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #4,316 of 12,548
agreed I recommend the 250s over the 600 alot. I did get a used balanced n recabled 600 ohm for the price of a new pro 250 n it sounds just as i remember my okd pro 250 sounding. Although i do like the idea of balancing a 600 ohm. Where as a 250 might not synergize as well with a balanced amp. Considering all the extra power balancing yeilds

still out of my matrix m stage they both sound the same

The 250 and 600 Ohm sound the same out a SE SS amp, but the 600 Ohm versions should sound better thru a balanced amp.
Hmmmmm.
Sorry man, that don't make no sense!

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #4,317 of 12,548
Quote:
The 250 and 600 Ohm sound the same out a SE SS amp, but the 600 Ohm versions should sound better thru a balanced amp.
Hmmmmm.

That's my point, the 600 ohm should sound better of or a balanced amp, I reason that way due to the increased power a balanced amp will be pushing, so it makes sense that a high impedance can will handle said power better

Either way, I've got a Balanced 880 600 ohm and I'm looking at getting a balanced amp so yay me 

NEXT xD 

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #4,318 of 12,548
Quote:
That's my point, the 600 ohm should sound better of or a balanced amp, I reason that way due to the increased power a balanced amp will be pushing, so it makes sense that a high impedance can will handle said power better

Either way, I've got a Balanced 880 600 ohm and I'm looking at getting a balanced amp so yay me 

NEXT xD 

A 600 Ohm DT880 needs more voltage, not more power than a 250 Ohm DT880.
The 600 Ohm and 250 Ohm DT880 require the same amount of power for  the same SPL.

Balanced amps output more voltage than SE amps, but if an SE amp outputs enough voltage to drive a 600 Ohm headphone then the balanced amp may sound better because the signal is balanced, not because it may be able to output more power or voltage into the load.
Anyway, it's your money.............
rolleyes.gif

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #4,319 of 12,548
Quote:

A 600 Ohm DT880 needs more voltage, not more power than a 250 Ohm DT880.
The 600 Ohm and 250 Ohm DT880 require the same amount of power for  the same SPL.

Balanced amps output more voltage than SE amps, but if an SE amp outputs enough voltage to drive a 600 Ohm headphone then the balanced amp may sound better because the signal is balanced, not because it may be able to output more power or voltage into the load.
Anyway, it's your money.............
rolleyes.gif

Point taken, and I'm looking at grabbing a Pb1 for about half the cost of a new Pb2 so that might be a good intro into a balanced portable set up 

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #4,320 of 12,548
Quote:
Hmmmmm.

The main positive related to the 600 ohm versions of these headphones IMHO is that they're easy to power for most people and not fuzzy about what you plug them in. Anyone who has a AV receiver, integrated speaker amp, CD player, or any pretty much audio gear with a headphone jack on it, can plug the 600 ohm version in and get a very good sound out of them. With 32 ohm and 250ohm its different. While they might be easier to power for portable devices and cheap dedicated headphone amps, they wont be as versatile overall and will be much more sensitive to output impedance of the headphone jack. 600 ohm version pretty much doesn't care. It sounds even better when plugged into a high output impedance amp IMHO, less stiff, more fluid and natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back